The Siren

The Siren

A Story by Kyle
"

A fictional story about being in love and listening to your heart!

"

I wake up and look out my window. It is cloudy today, I think it might rain. I set up in my bed and my cell rings. It is her, why does she keep trying to continue what once was? I answer the phone and she starts telling me that she wants the past to start again. The past was hell for me, and I don't want the past becoming the present. I listen to her as she continues to speak. No matter what I try to do, she always pulls me in another direction. I try and fight it, but I am weak. Her voice alone is like a siren out at sea leading me to a fate that will be disastrous. She tells me that she will never love anyone as much as me. I counter by telling her that while what we had was great, it is over. I fight the urge to let my true feelings out. Deep down inside, I want her. I know we had our fights but it is her that my heart beats for. The years we shared together were the most meaningful years of my young life. She ask me if I love her... I don't want to relieve the past do I? I say yes, I love you.

Fast forward a few months, and everything seems to be going alright. Maybe I was right in following my heart instead of listening to my mind. Life is great, and it is all I could ask for. My mind tells me that something is going to crash this high that my life has taken. The crash comes soon as she calls me. She tells me that she is moving. I tell her we fought that before, we can fight it again. There is more, she says. She tells me about him. Him? Yeah, of course.. my former best friend. Apparently, I was not good enough for her, so she had been seeing him for a few weeks now. It is funny how several months ago, we had reversed roles in this conversation. I tell her that I could never love anyone as much as her. She tells me that our time together were some of the greatest times of her life but she wants to move on. I set there dazed by the phone call. She tells me that I will be ok, but she needs to be free. She tells me she loves me once more, and click... the call is over.

Huh? What the hell just happened? My heart is broke, and my mind tells me that it told me so. I set there silenced, waiting for her to call me back. That call would never come. Is she paying me back for the first time we broke up? Does she not know how much she meant to me? I gave her everything, and in the end, she leaves me with nothing but the memories.

Fast forward a few weeks and those same memories are eating at my soul. Still not once has she called me. She is all I can think about. The only real relationship I ever had, had been a rocky one. I thought we would work the kinks out the second time around, but I was wrong. M friends tell me there are other fish in the sea. I appreciate their encouragement, but it does nothing to lighten my mood.

I decide I need to do something to fix this. A solo camping trip will help right? I see one
of my friends who loads me up with things he thinks will cheer me up. He tells me to be
careful in the woods, and to come back in one piece. I thank him for what he has given me and I drive my car to the forest entrance. I embark with my backpack full of things I hope will make me forget about her.

It is a cold night, and I have set up my camp. Alone, I set by the raging camp fire. I unzip my backpack and pull out some pictures of her. I throw them in the fire, that was
easy wasn't it? No, I find some of me and her. Happy memories? I throw them in the fire and watch them all burn to dust. I find a joint my friend had given me and use the fire to light it up.

Yeah, this is my first time smoking a joint, and I am sure it will be my last. I take a
case of Coors Light out and begin to drink it. God, this is great! The weed makes me feel strange, but in a good way. Smoking weed is weird, I now don't really seem too be feeling any more effects. Am I doing this right? I keep drinking the Coors Light, while trying to get high... so I can forget her! I enhale the smoke, and then everything goes black.

Am I dead? What the hell happened? Everything is black, I can't see! Suddenly I hear her voice... she tells me that she loves me, and always will. In the darkness, I see light. She appears surrounded by this beautiful light. She approaches me and picks me up on my feet. She tells me she never wants to lose me. I tell her, I want the same. We go to kiss and before my lip touches hers... I awaken. It was a dream!

Did I blackout? A dream, that is all it was? I'll never get her back. My mind told me not to listen to the "siren". She isn't a siren is she? I made the mistake and followed my heart. Why do I do that? God, I want her so f*****g bad it kills me! No longer can I take this madness.

The fire is still burning, and I assume it is around 3am. I was out for at least 2 hours. I
look at my burnt out joint, the empty beer bottles, and what? The last remaining picture of me and her stares at me from the ground. Her smile eats at my soul! I can not take this s**t anymore!

She is a siren, she is a demon! She will be the end of me! I grab a shiny object from my backpack. I had this in case of a bear attack, but it will work for this situation too. I
hold the picture of me and her next to my heart. I point the shiny object towards me. So many flashbacks now... so many memories. They need to stop, it all needs to stop. I pull the trigger....

© 2009 Kyle


Author's Note

Kyle
I wrote this the other night, I thought it was good but let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
Added on August 19, 2009

Author

Kyle
Kyle

Huntington, WV



About
Kyle. 27. Ohio University C/O 2012. Married to my lovely wife, Carolyn. more..

Writing
Refuge Refuge

A Poem by Kyle