Chapter 1: Rejection

Chapter 1: Rejection

A Chapter by Kyle
"

Story about a brother and sister and their close relationship. From abusive parents to college rejections, they always had each other.

"
"Morning Sis", said Johnny to his sister Fiona as she came down the stairs. "Morning Jon-Jon" she replied. "Sleep well?" "No Sis, just been up all night thinking about the future." said Johnny. Fiona knew what he had been thinking about. "Me too Jon-Jon. All our lives we have had each other, and now what?" This brother-sister duo had conquered so much in their short time on this planet. When their parents abused them, they relied on each other to make it to the next day. Johnny even stood up to his old man by knocking him out after he walked in on him choking Fiona. When Johnny's ex broke up with him after a three year relationship, Johnny had resorted to drinking heavily. No one could see what was happening to Johnny but Fiona. On one of his worst nights she was there holding his hand and letting him rest his head on her shoulders. That night, she pulled him from the ashes. "Jon-Jon, no matter what happens; it will always be us against the world. I'll never let you fall again!", Fiona had told him that night.

As they sat at the kitchen table, they talked about the past. After a few cups of coffee, Johnny brought up the reason for the sleepless nights. "You know Fiona, that in three months I'll be going to Bradsworth University and you will be at Decamore College." Johnny had tried to get into Decamore to be with his sister, but was denied admission. "Jon, I can go to Bradsworth, we can make it work. I'm always going to be there for you bro. Your all I got!" Johnny looked at Fiona and took her hand, "Sis, Decamore is your dream school. Remember when our parents were fighting and we would hide in your room and you would talk about how you would escape to Decamore. Well, you can make that dream come true." Fiona looked Johnny in the eyes and said, "Your forgetting the part where I said that you would be at Decamore with me. It was going to be our escape, not just mine". Johnny knew she was telling the truth, he wanted to be at Decamore with his sister. "Yes Sis, that was our original plan, but things happened and we have to do the best with what we've got. I mean, our plan was to both go to Decamore to get away from our parents but we left them before we made it to college. I mean, we are the only students from our high school who went through senior year having our own apartment."

Fiona and Johnny had reached their breaking point after the fight between Johnny and their dad. They were both 18 and took some after school jobs to come up with the money to get their own apartment. It was their sanctuary from the pain they had known their whole life. After moving out of the hell that they once called home, their lives changed for the better. They began to grow closer, and in some ways began to withdraw from their friends and instead relied on each other. Their fellow students and friends could not understand what those two had endured their whole lives, and only they could comfort each other when the nightmares woke them from their sleep.

Meanwhile, Johnny and Fiona were discussing their plans for college. "You did apply for second chance, right Jon-Jon?". "Of course Sis, but the admissions counselor said I had a 4 percent chance of being accepted. Also, the aid would be cut and I'd have to work through school. Then again, that's nothing new to me." Fiona began to cry, "Johnny, I can't do this without you. I need you by my side. Who will hold me at night when those damned dreams come? Who will hold me when no one else will? I can't do this alone, I just cant! My whole life, you've been all I've had and your all I've got." Johnny was beginning to tear up as well. "Fiona, I can't be the one that you need me to be. I've done all I could to keep us together but I failed. Was it my admissions essay or my SAT scores? I don't know, but I know that no matter what happens I will always be there for you. I will never abandon you. Even if I had to forget college for awhile and room with you at the apartment at Decamore and work 2 jobs, I would! You know what Fiona, f**k college. You need me and I need you. I can't live without you in my life." Fiona was stunned by what he had just said. "I love you Johnny, I do and I always will. We can make this work. From the beginning, its just been me and you and maybe that's how its meant to be." Their emotional scene would soon be interrupted by a ringing telephone.

"Hello", Johnny answered. "Yes, this is him." Fiona sat at the table crying. Would they find a way to keep their relationship, and their friendship together or was it destiny for all they had worked for to collapse? Perhaps the rejection from Decamore was a sign. She had never been without him, and maybe it was time for that to change. Fiona loved him dearly, and she was his life. Without him, she was nothing. As she sat there thinking, she heard the sound of shattered glass. She looked over at Johnny who had dropped his glass of orange juice. "Oh my god, are you okay?" She screamed at Johnny who gave a blank expression on his face. "Fiona, that was Decamore. They reviewed my application and my second chance essay that I did on our relationship. I got in! Fiona, I got in!"


© 2010 Kyle


Author's Note

Kyle
Will post new chapters soon.... new to the "book" format. Expect twist and turns and I expect to work with this for awhile so this may last into next year.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
Added on July 25, 2010
Last Updated on July 30, 2010
Tags: family, relationships, college, abuse, dreams


Author

Kyle
Kyle

Huntington, WV



About
Kyle. 27. Ohio University C/O 2012. Married to my lovely wife, Carolyn. more..

Writing
Refuge Refuge

A Poem by Kyle