The Edge of Nowhere

The Edge of Nowhere

A Chapter by Jonathon Wood
"

Alone in a town of empty sorrow ,with no hope, where will William take himself to find the hope he so longs for?

"
Winter's chilled breath of death gently blew through the valley hitting the tiny town that lied within. Snow gracefully fell from the heavens as children ran through the deserted streets of the town playing their games. Hidden behind the clouds lied a forgotten world, a forgotten protector, a forgotten light. Wolves howled in the distance and winter's owl took to the sky. William sat on the edge of a cliff watching the silent town.
William's hair was freshly cut, his eyes wet with sorrow, skin chilled red, and mind emptier than his wallet. He had finally reached the end, and he knew it. His duty was over, dreams shattered, and love all but present. Somehow, after years of gratitude, commitment, and honor his life had fallen into an abyss of chaos. No one there for him, not a soul to care when he died. It was him and the Devil dancing together, slowly inching their way to the edge of the cliff. Until now. Now William stared down the intimidating cliff's edge, releasing a lingering sigh. 
"What do you think you're doing," a concerned voice whispered from behind. William, startled, didn't respond to the question. Instead, he played the def boy. "I asked you a question," the female's voice paused, "What are you doing out here"? William turned his head, now looking over his right shoulder. To his amaze standing behind him was one of the prettiest girls he had ever seen in his life. She stood about 5'4", had long brown hair, and wore a long coat that hugged her figure perfectly. "I asked you a question, I expect an answer," the female pressed. 
"Tell me," William started, "Do you know how the car got to the bottom of the hill? I'm sure you don't. It's one of the biggest mysteries in this town, and has since become something of nothing".
"What are you getting at," she asked now tilting her head to the side.
"I'm talking about the vehicle that rests at the bottom of this cliff," he paused glancing down into the darkness. The wind began to blow harder, and the snow began to heavily fall. "It reminds me of myself. I was once an elegant vehicle, loved, cherished, admired, but then I was pushed off of a cliff. I fell, and fell, and fell until I finally hit the ground. Then I rolled, knocking over trees, and flipping over until I finally came to my final stop. Then I rested there, only to become a question in the back of people's minds. That's what I was referring to". 
The female stood there, and gazed at William with wonder. She took a few steps forward, and carefully chose her words. "You really have a unique way with words. Are you an English teacher," she asked regretful.
"I've been told my entire life I have a way with words," William responded letting a smile escape. "Words are beautiful, are they not? They're a work of art. Something that you can use to convince anyone of anything," he paused returning his attention to the town. "Something you can use to convince everyone but yourself. In the end you realize the words you use are about as empty as your soul. You realize the beauty others find within your words are the same beauty they find in the mask you wear". 
"I don't think you have an empty soul," she pressed. "Someone with an empty soul wouldn't be able to speak so beautifully, nor so inspiring. You have a talent, and a beautiful way with words. I think you just need support", she finished as she took a place with him on the edge of the cliff. She gave him a  warm, enchanting smile, and extended her hand. "Hi, I'm Brittney. How do you do"? 
William blankly stared before extending his own hand. "Hi, I'm William. Pleased to make you acquaintance".
"What do you say we get off this cliff, and head into town for a bite to eat," Brittney asked happily standing up, and walking away from the edge. She turned around smiling at William, letting him know there was someone there for him. William simply stared back at her with a blank expression, and couldn't bring himself to move. There it was, the warmth he so longed for. His body tingled, his heart raced, and his eyes watered. It was time to begin a new.
"Can I take a rain check on that," he said sliding himself off the cliff.


© 2013 Jonathon Wood


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, this was good! I cannot believe the ending! I cannot believe there are no reviews on this yet! I really loved this! I love the ending. It's so unique and never done! Its definitely not a happy ending, but at the same time it is perfect.

He just wanted to feel the warmth just once before he made his decision. Great story!

Good luck! Keep writing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jonathon Wood

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much. Your support means so much, especially on this story. It's what I've wanted to wr.. read more
Amaya Sullivan

10 Years Ago

It is truly an amazing story! I hope you get more reviews. Your writing is very good!



Reviews

Wow, this was good! I cannot believe the ending! I cannot believe there are no reviews on this yet! I really loved this! I love the ending. It's so unique and never done! Its definitely not a happy ending, but at the same time it is perfect.

He just wanted to feel the warmth just once before he made his decision. Great story!

Good luck! Keep writing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jonathon Wood

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much. Your support means so much, especially on this story. It's what I've wanted to wr.. read more
Amaya Sullivan

10 Years Ago

It is truly an amazing story! I hope you get more reviews. Your writing is very good!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 29, 2013
Last Updated on May 22, 2013
Tags: Story, Sad, Sorrowful, Fantasy, Teen, Depressing, Short


Author

Jonathon Wood
Jonathon Wood

Greenwood, AR



About
Just a young writer. more..

Writing