Be Careful What You Wish For...

Be Careful What You Wish For...

A Story by Jeff
"

this is what happens when I try to push through writer's-block with coffee and screamo. hate it if you like, constructive criticism is always appreciated.

"

Lurking in the dark corners of the mind, chomping at the bit, just waiting for a sliver of an opportunity to break free is the monster inside of each of us.  Most people are able to keep it at bay with varying degrees of ease.  Sometimes the it gets loose but is quickly corraled and hurtled back to it's depths.  Sadly some embrace it, encourage it and unleash it on the rest of us with frightening regularity.

 

This is not about any of these kinds of people. This is about a man who, a long time ago, released his hold of his own demon only to realize that there was more than one and that each was infinitely stronger than him.

 

This is about me.

 

There is only one thing more terrifying than being held captive by your own schizophrenic, psychological monster:  Living with the knowledge that I willingly let him/them out...

 

who let you out of your cage?

 

YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRY TO ESCAPE

 

A flash of blinding red light seared my eyes and an intense, burning, freezing and paralyzing pain shocked my worn and beaten shell.  Horrible hands roughly hefted me off of the floor in the after and I was thrown back into my cell.

 

...flesruoy no redrah siht gnikam ylno er'uoy

 

"Why won't you just let me die?" I had managed to prop myself up against the razor-wired bars of my prison, "Or better still, why won't you kill me?"

 

It's ugly head rolled back and that hideous three-part laugh filled the space.

 

where's THE nuf in THAT?

 

I let them out during the first great war when my platoon had been surrounded on enemy soil and I was damned if I was going to let those b******s take us hostage.  As it turns out my decision left me a captive of a much more twisted and evil enemy.  The last time I was able to gain control, I saw that the date was 2237. I am 238 years old and I have been held captive for 220 years. I never age. Neither do the demons that keep me.

© 2008 Jeff


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

interesting. different. well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

um...i dont know what to say...it left me a bit confounded but i like it...

Posted 13 Years Ago


That was very interesting, I must say.


Tina

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 2, 2008

Author

Jeff
Jeff

Boothwyn, PA



About
more cat pictures more..

Writing
Still Still

A Poem by Jeff



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Robot Robot

A Poem by Robin


Tree Tree

A Poem by Marie Harrison


Love Love

A Poem by Tate Morgan