To Fall for a River

To Fall for a River

A Story by Vian
"

He would always water them when the clouds were too busy in another land to do so, and be ever so sorry when he accidentally stepped on their roots.

"

To Fall for a River


One day, many millions of human years ago, a child was born. This child had a mother and father that loved him very much but they did not see it fit to love anyone else just as much. The boy was friends with very many trees and flowers. He would always water them when the clouds were too busy in another land to do so, and be ever so sorry when he accidentally stepped on their roots. In return, the trees gave the child permission to sit in their shade and the flowers attracted the most beautiful butterflies to entertain the boy.


The trees had long decided that the boy could not be a boy, but an oak tree disguised as a human because he was just as stubborn as the towering oaks in their forest. Sometimes, squirrels would come to the boy that the trees had named Oak in search acorn nuts and no matter how often the boy told them that he’d never once before grown any acorns; the squirrels were sure that others of their kind had gotten them first and vowed to return earlier next season.


One night, Oak could not sleep because the pregnant Moon was too bright and it pulled the tides of his consciousness from Dream Land back to the coast of Waking World. So, he quietly got out of his bed and crept down to his backyard where Maple and Birch were murmuring quietly while the wind restlessly whistled here and there. It seemed no one could sleep that night. 


Quietly, he bid the Night World goodbye and climbed into Maple’s waiting arms. Sensing his restlessness, Wind pulled the heavy, reluctant clouds over the bright light of Lady Moon and began to sing him a song. Wind whistled harder still, to coax a groan of a voice out of Maple.


They told a tale of a young girl who wished to have many children. She did not want her children to ever leave her so she became the Earth; a home for all her children. The girl took care to be fair and equal to all the children she bore. She had many children, some tall and strong, others delicate and beautiful. She had children that stood in one place for many decades; amassing wisdom, and others that flitted from one side of her endless sea to another to a perch on one of her many Tree-Children. They also told of swiftly running river spirits that stretched long and far, until forever.  However, the rivers were always lonely because they didn’t have any one to play with as they had to hurry from one place to the next.


Wind and Maple sung praises of their Mother Creator all night long. Soon, Birch too joined in and Cloud and Moon told quiet whispers of her love for every being in existence, even the ones that weren’t quite nice all the time. Oak was delighted by the story but couldn't say so until morning because Maple and Wind were the best bed time story tellers ever and he was fast asleep.


In the night, sparkling blue rivers flowed through his dreams and when he awoke he couldn’t help but tell Maple and Birch all his dreams. However, he overlooked telling them of the deep calmness that had encompassed his being during the dream. The River spirit from his dreams had eyes in all the shades of its river and hair in the silver of the moons kiss on the water’s surface. Oak was overjoyed to learn that there was a river not very far from his home and should he wish to visit it, he could follow the baby birds on their evening drink.    


As the darkness came the next night, he saw Lady Moon begin to rise, fully visible, high into the sky. Before he left to follow the birds, Maple was sure to warn him not to get too close to Rin because it was dangerous to fall for a River Spirit. 


Oak and the birds set off gently through the forest soon after Sun had begun to travel beneath the horizon. All the while, the birds chirped to one another singing Oak’s praises. Oak was strong, he could carry the birds on his shoulders and head all the way down to the River. The birds adored that there was a Tree that could go from one place to the next all on its own. They had often asked the Trees that they made their homes in, if they would consider joining them on their migration flights, but the Trees always refused to displace their roots from the warm soil so close to the winter season. Several flocks made plans to build their nests in Oak’s warm hair before the next migration so when they arrived to their new land they would not have to persuade a new Tree for a branch.


 When they finally arrived, the birds were quick to take a sip from Rin’s water and depart to their nests. Oak remained beneath the protection of a young birch who had heard of the ‘Walking Tree Boy’ from the murmurs of the Outskirt Trees. Oak sat as near to the riverside as he could, without being scolded by Maple on his return. As he waited, he asked Moon to tell him more about Rin. Lady Moon whispered of Rin’s strength and speed. Rin was so great that he flowed effortlessly over and under and around sharp and treacherous rocks of every kind. However, he had slippery and snide river banks, despite his beautiful appearance.


“I take offence to that, Lady Moon.” An amused voice spoke from the now still river. Atop the still waters, the tall, slim, beautiful boy from his dreams appeared. He had white- almost translucent- skin; like water. His eyes were in millions of minute shades of blues and grays and sometimes greens. He had the same silver hair as Moon’s light and it was as long as the Lady’s rays too. “I do not have beauty, I am powerful and swift, said the spirit with a sneer.


“I think you’re very beautiful Mr. River,” said Oak with a kind smile. “You can be swift and powerful and beautiful.”


Moon conveyed her agreement with Oak’s statement and informed Rin that the boy was the Tree-Child in a human’s appearance.


“My name is Rin, not ‘Mr. River’” Rin said coldly in response, not looking at Oak. “Why are you here?”


“I wanted to meet you, Rin” Oak said moving closer so he could lay on his front while facing the spirit.


“Why in the world would you want to do that,” Rin asked, now half intrigued by the strange boy who sought him out when no one in the past ever did for any reason but to have his water.


“Well, I like you,” Rin had an annoyed look on his face at these words, for he was sure he had never met the boy before, he would have remembered even a fleeting encounter with this boy. Oak continued on to tell Rin his dreams from the night before. In his dream he had felt an uncanny contentness in being with Rin that seemed impossible to exist in the living world.


“Do you feel it now?” Rin asked with surprising gentleness.


“Almost,” Oak said in response.


Oak then asked Rin of his adventures across the lands and in return told him that life as a human progressed very differently than those of the Mother’s other children. Lady Moon was glad to keep the Rin’s spirit in that forest for the night so he could be happy with the Human-Child. She and Mother Earth often spoke and Moon knew she wished to see this deep happiness in Rin always.


As the Sun drew nearer to their forest Moon knew she would not be able to allow Rin to remain much longer.


Oak and Rin slowly became closer and closer as the night progressed. They shared the deepest recesses of their souls with one another as some unseen force spurred them on with an urgency that spoke of an end.


Lady Moon was fading quickly as Sun touched the horizon and urgently warned the children below.


Oak stood from the ground and quickly walked to Rin whose waters were now swiftly running. His spirit began to flicker in and out of existence on the shining surface of the river.


“Rin, will I ever see you again?” Oak asked timidly, standing right at the edge of the bank, bathed in the last remnants of Moon’s light while longing to go further and be with Rin always.


“Perhaps,” He said with doubt, the same longing and sadness in his voice.


They had felt an echo of the completeness while together. Rin did not feel the loneliness that came from exploring the world alone, for no matter how many fish swam in his waters, none made him whole like Oak did. There was some magic in the Tree-Boy’s soul that complimented his own. Oak, himself, admitted to feeling the need to be nearer to Rin; the urgency to do something.


“I love you, Rin,” Oak whispered and took another step forward.


A pink blush dusted across Rin’s cheeks and he instantly turned his head away before muttering a “Same here.”


Oak gave a grin and reached out to hug Rin. He felt the barest instance of a cool body in his arms and then was immediately swept away beneath the water as Lady Moon lost her hold on the waters to the powerful sun.


Oak’s body struggled and thrashed in Rin’s arms, however, his mind was at peace. The blues and silvers of the waters around him were like looking deep into Rin’s eyes. The blue made him feel at home in the water; home in Rin’s soul. The feeling of completeness began to seep into his limbs. His body did not fight Rin’s hold anymore but welcomed it. Soothingly, Rin’s voice bubbled in his ear, telling him of the wonderful adventures of they would have together. Tired due to his long sleepless night, Oak faded into sleep in the comfort of his Rin’s embrace.


A.N. It was meant to be a children's story but my vocabulary got the better of me...

© 2013 Vian


Author's Note

Vian
Just say something. Tell me you were here.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your writing is a~mazingly descriptive as usual, but sometimes you should work on clarity - it's kind of confusing at times. Great piece of art!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Cloud Composer? Reviewing? I'm quite honoured to be under you scrutiny. One day many years from now .. read more
I think you did a good job with the detail in the writing but i got a little confused of what was happening along the way but that might just be me so don't worry about it but i thought you where very descriptive which i liked a lot

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank You for the review. Unfortunately, others I know got lost or confused along the way too. I jus.. read more
Kt k

10 Years Ago

Each writer has there own style a way they spin the storie to make it unique to them dont change a t.. read more
Vian

10 Years Ago

Wow, that's very kind of you and great advice. Thank You.
This is a beautiful story with great imagery and description. Thank you for sharing this piece!
100/100
Cheerio!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing!
Playing with Demons

10 Years Ago

Your welcome! :)
What can I say : A very splendid write...Thank you for penning...:)............

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Ah, you set my soul on fire, thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

My pleasure...Any time...:)................

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 27, 2013
Last Updated on November 27, 2013
Tags: River, Spirit, Nature, Oak, Earth, Love

Author

Vian
Vian

PebbleTown, Snowflake Chasm



About
Lord Vian is a resident of the Human Cage, as He's sure most who can read this are. This Lord unfortunately suffers from Binge-Writing and has a tendency to ignore the thing called 'Life' when consume.. more..

Writing
Mother Mother

A Poem by Vian


Magic Magic

A Poem by Vian


Orange Orange

A Poem by Vian