Autumn

Autumn

A Poem by Lourisa
"

An autumn leaf's acceptance of its fate.

"

Do you hear wind filling the forest with a rustling murmur?

The nights are getting colder now.

Did you notice my new orange coat?

I won’t be wearing it for long.

At the moment the yellow autumn sun is lingering warmly on your bark.

The icy winter lies before you.

But you are indestructible with deep roots.

You will survive the icy winds, the frost, and the snow.

It’s me who won’t survive.  Not even given the chance.

It’s okay.  I understand.

You need to save your food for winter.  There is not enough for us all.

I need to go.

Do you still remember my birth?  Life was so enchanting, magical!

I look at the evergreens and a moment of envy swept through me.

But we had good times, right?

You know what I will miss most?

Your powerful radiance.  Your strength.  Your sensitive spirit.

Yes, I will miss the birdsong clattered in the space between the trees rustling the foliage

I will miss looking up at the clouds soaring by and the yellow sun ever important to my goal

But it’s you I will miss most of all.

I have fed you.  Kept you cool.  Will you remember me?  How soon will you forget?

It’s okay.  I understand.

Spring will come.  You will again be covered in new life.

I have only this moment to tell you that I love you.

And thank you for carrying me.  I would have carried you too if I could.

You made me feel important.  Needed.  Loved.

The wind is rustling again.  No need in holding on any longer. 

It will be quick and I will not suffer.  Just taking flight.

It’s time.  I’m letting go.

© 2013 Lourisa


Author's Note

Lourisa
No rhyming in this one. Just something I wanted to try.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was pure beauty.Thanks for posting this.It made me smile throughout until the end when I had to hit the "man doesnt cry " button.Really beautful.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Aw, thank you Bob. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. Don't hit that "man doesn't cry" button too ofte.. read more
Bob Sherunkle

10 Years Ago

Haha,I wont,I wont.
You have created some wonderful images for the reader to enjoy in this creative piece. To write from the tree's perspective really is quite brilliant. So very creative. I enjoy reading your poetry very much. You are very talented!

:) Julie

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks for your kind words :) Wasn't sure if the no-rhyming would work for me but I enjoyed writing.. read more
One of the beautiful poem and I must say it is delight to read for such a season which really bring life to almost all the writers in the world. Your try has suceeded and I feel you have great talent in you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks, sayed, for your kind review. I appreciate you stopping by :)
I enjoyed this very much! Correct me if I am wrong, but this is from a tree's perspective? If so, I think it is quite magical. It brings an inanimate object to life and through death. Very beautiful, and plus, I prefer poems with little to no rhyming.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review,Q. Yes, it's from the leaf's perspective.
R. L. Hill

10 Years Ago

The leaf? How beautiful.
Another awesome poem! I just love your work. I love the free verse you went with on this and I can really relate to the message you have conveyed. It is definitely gripping and keeps you on edge until the end. I love the line where you mentioned "the birdsong clattered in the space between the trees rustling foliage" Awesome work. The imagery in this poem is beautiful as well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Ally. Glad you enjoyed this one.
This is very descriptive and reads like a narration to a book. I like it. It gives me this feeling of death and rebirth about the 4 seasons. You should do even more poetry without rhyming. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks RealistMe. I did enjoy writing this one so maybe I'll try some more.
RealistMe

10 Years Ago

You really should. Eventually, I'll get back into writing some more poetry. I haven't done any in ye.. read more
What a lovely write this is! The personification of the leaf is wonderful. The emotion between the tree as a maternal figure and the leaf as a child is touching. A unique and enjoyable write. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Lydi. Thanks for the review.
I like the twist in thought you took with this piece. We spend so much time pondering on trees and yet they remain aloof and in life-spand eternal compared to us; and yet one man and saw can end it without even a scream. Beautiful piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks Pryde. Yes, power lies sometimes on the wrong side of the fence.
The imagery in this piece is subtle but very effective. A really beautiful piece. Well written.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks B.C, glad you stopped by.
really enjoyed reading this...good job :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lourisa

10 Years Ago

Thanks Randell. I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

391 Views
10 Reviews
Added on November 16, 2013
Last Updated on November 16, 2013
Tags: leaf, autumn, wind, tree

Author

Lourisa
Lourisa

Paraparaumu Beach, Wellington, New Zealand



About
"If you are a dreamer come in If you are a dreamer a wisher a liar A hoper a prayer a magic-bean-buyer If youre a pretender come sit by my fire For we have some flax golden tales to spin Com.. more..

Writing
Lost at sea Lost at sea

A Poem by Lourisa


The abyss The abyss

A Poem by Lourisa