Chapter One: The Coming of Age Ball

Chapter One: The Coming of Age Ball

A Chapter by Nikki Richardson
"

The first ball, The Family Party, is here. I hope you enjoy.

"

            “She is in definite danger, father!  You cannot let her go through with her parties,” a rushed voice growled.

 

            “No, I am afraid that will not work.  Her heart is set on her birthday this year.  We have to keep her under the impression…”  The gentleman with salt and pepper colored hair was interrupted by the impatience of the rushed voice.

 

            “Listen to me for once in my horrid life.  She will be taken there are poachers seeking her out, there have been for many years, Father.  She needs to be looked after closely!”  Worry filled the air as the male voice hissed in a low whisper.

 

            “Now see here you ungrateful, foolish child.  I have watched over her for seventeen years, and today on her eighteenth birthday she will be treated with as much respect as I’ve given my own children.”  The gentleman raised his voice slightly.

 

            “On the contrary, I am not ungrateful, I am fearful for those who I call my family.  I will not return until the night of the King’s Ball.  I suggest you keep a close eye on her until I get there,” the voice whispered carefully. 

 

            “Shall I tell her…”

 

            “To whom are you speaking with,” a different voice called over the phone.  The new voice was obviously background noise.

 

            “My father, Madam Director,” the once rushed voice was now calm with a waiver of nervous energy. “I was suggesting that he tell my younger sister happy birthday for me.”

 

            “Your phone call should be over.  Say goodbye!”

 

            “Goodbye, Father.”

 

            Before the older gentlemen could say goodbye to his son the phone line went dead, and the only sound he could hear was the signal that the phone call had ended.

 


            "Mom is my gown almost finished," I shouted from my room.  Rosaline helped me with my corset, and Bethany curled my long, wavy, coal black hair.  Rosaline and Bethany were my younger sisters.  Rosaline is sixteen, and Bethany is fifteen.  They both were a lot more into the whole dress up girly thing than I was, but this happened to be my eighteenth year.  I was so excited, and tonight, October 1st, was my Coming of Age ball, even though I would not be eighteen for another week.  My close friends and family would come, sit down, and enjoy themselves at the small gathering; but the most important part of the evening would be my gown.  Although the gown for the Masquerade ball that the King threw for those turning eighteen during the year would be much more important.  I wanted that gown to be red silk, but my mother decided she wanted to make it, which meant so much to me, but I didn’t know how it would turn out.  

 

Oh, she always made beautiful ball gowns, but my Coming of Age ball dress, which I picked the fabric for, was white satin with a black ribbon.  I found the design when I was picking through my mother’s design book, and I knew as soon as I laid my eyes on the dress that it was meant to be mine.  My father's employer was generous enough to give him a raise for the occasion, so we could afford to buy the dress fabric to make the dresses for the parties. 

 

I was searching all year for the perfect dress design for the King's ball.  Oh, that ball I was desperately waiting for.  I had the perfect image of the most beautiful gown in my mind, but it was hard to explain.  I wanted simple, but flashy.  It had to be a dress that announced that I was officially of age, and ready to be married. 

 

I could see myself dancing with princes from all over the world, and maybe even a few of those handsome creatures they talk about.  I would, of course, tell them, 'no, I must not go back with you.  I have family here that is way too important to me to return to your world!’  Oh, how beautiful it would be with the magnificent colors and the excitement.

 

            "Yes, dear, it is finished now."  She brought the dress into my room.  It was perfect.  It was strapless, and it flowed to the floor gently with a piece of dark red felt for a ribbon to tie on the back of the dress.  It was perfect indeed.  I put it on gently, and looked in the mirror.  My green eyes stood out under the brown eyeliner Rosaline suggest and my waist length, wavy, black hair looked perfect.  Not a strand was out of place.  I was sure to make my cousins jealous, they could never beat this for their own balls, but given time I knew Rosaline could because her golden hair and green eyes made her a true beauty especially when she wore no make-up at all.

 

            "It's perfect mom!"  She nodded her head in agreement and we gathered ourselves before walking out of the room.  My father came out in his black suit and kissed me on the cheek.

 

            "Oh this is a once in a life time treat," he laughed at seeing me in a fancy dress for once.

 

"May we please go down stairs, and awe our family and then rush on to the bigger and better balls," I asked in a small annoyed tone. 

"Of course, we may, my dear.  Your brother will not be attending this party.  He has been detained from hurrying to his return, but he wanted me to wish you a happy birthday on his behalf."

 

            I smiled before hugging my father.  Relief washed over my senses as I prepared myself to greet the guests downstairs.  Most of the people would be family that I had not had the pleasure of seeing in years, a few neighbors, and some friends of the fore mentioned family members.  Excitement flooded my veins causing my cheeks to take on a perfect rosy pink color as I finally made my entrance.

            I was slightly disappointed to find that the party was small, but it was to be expected with just family and a few friends attending.  My three uncles; Samuel, Jonathan, and Thomas, stood with their wives; Sara, Molly, and Clara near the fire place.  My cousins Katherine and Jane sat on the couch near the door as if they were ready to run as soon as the chance presented itself.  My father's friends, the Bristols, came up to us right away.  "Hello Henry, Pauline.  Happy eighteenth, Rhiannon," Mr. Bristol spoke kindly.

 

"Thank you sir, and thank you for coming," I answered as I shook Mr. and Mrs. Bristols’ hands.

 

"It was kind of you to invite us." Mrs. Bristol said softly.  I smiled and nodded as I excused myself to go visit a few of the other guests.

 

            I saw two young men standing in the corner just admiring the splendor if the party while pondering over the identities of the different guests.  I wondered who they were because I didn't recognize them as family or friends of family right away.  I was about to go and introduce myself when Katherine walked up to one of them.  The boy she walked up to had golden brown hair and gray eyes.  He wore a simple black suit like my father, and that amused me.  Katherine would rather be with a boy that was not yet a man rather than go out and find a well presented man. 

 

            I caught the other young man that was standing with Katharine’s new toy staring at me.  I smiled a little and he smiled back.  He didn't excuse himself from his friend and Katherine.  He simply walked towards me.  I admired the confidence in his smile that seemed to flow through to his stride toward me.

 

He wore a dark red button down shirt that matched the lace ribbon on my dress almost perfectly.  His dirty blond hair flowed in the wind he created with his quick steps.  His black slacks showed that he had class, but he didn't wear dress shoes to an event such as this, well that showed he was a bit carefree.  Carefree could be a good thing if you ask me.  That is if it is implemented correctly.

 

            "Hello," he said as he held out his hand as if to politely shake my hand.

 

"Good evening," I answered as I offered my hand in return.  I was expecting a hand shake from a guy like this, but instead he leaned down and pressed his lips gently to the back of my hand.  I felt a blush rise up to my cheeks, but I carefully pushed it away.

 

"How are you on this lovely evening," he asked as if he didn't have a care in the world.

 

"I believe the question should be who are you?" I retorted as I stared into his beautiful dark green eyes.  They were more of a hazel color with flecks of deep green and golden brown, but at that moment the light was reflecting the green rather than the brown.

 

"Ah, we shall ask the hard questions first then," he smiled brightly.  His teeth were perfectly straight, and they couldn't have been any whiter.  "My name is Derek Granger.  I am here with the Bristol's son Jeremy," he answered my first question and the second.

 

"I am the birthday girl, Rhiannon Smith."

"Nice to meet you, and happy eighteenth."  He bowed before giving me a sly grin. 

"Thank you." I smiled desperately to hold back my blush, but I was failing miserably.




© 2013 Nikki Richardson


Author's Note

Nikki Richardson
I really should've started posting this in October for Halloween and los dia de los muertos

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You added some mystery and you are bringing the reader into the celebration. I liked the conversation and the concern for safety. Thank you Nikki for sharing the amazing chapter.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

372 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 7, 2013
Last Updated on September 7, 2013
Tags: ball number one, demon, magic, spell, trickery, humans, birthday, october


Author

Nikki Richardson
Nikki Richardson

Great Falls, SC



About
The only place I have ever felt at home is behind a pen. I write because there is so much inside my soul that needs to come out. No one has told the story I’m looking for yet, so I might as we.. more..

Writing