Familiars

Familiars

A Screenplay by James T Brittain
"

Many supernatural stories contain animal familiars, this is from the perspective of a familiar. The reincarnated souls of people who were murdered, familiars protect children with magical destinies.

"
"FAMILIARS"
FADE IN:
INT. ABANDONED MANSION UNDER STAIRCASE- DAY
A cat is giving birth to a litter of kittens in an old cardboard box under the rotting staircase of an abandoned mansion. One of the kittens, a Savannah, looks up and we can hear her thoughts in a young woman’s voice
TALIA 
Where am I? What... what happened?
(TALIA LOOKS UP AT MOTHER CAT)
And why is there a giant cat?
A very large and very old looking grey cat walks into the room and over to the box. He looks as if he’s smiling.  We can hear the thoughts in his head which sound like a very old and very wise man who is currently very amused.
HEPHAESTUS
Have a little respect child.  Her name is Ruby and in this lifetime she’s your mother.  She’s done a great service by birthing so many familiars for us in her short life.  It took great pains for her to bring you here.  
(he sighs)
She isn’t a giant, you’re just very small right now and you’ll have to get used to that. 
(He nudges her a little with his nose then looks out the door)
Come now, the rest of your litter has an excuse to stay in bed all day but you should be up and about by now.  You’ve been in this world for several hours now and you should be perfectly capable of walking on your own.
The camera follows Hephaestus as he walks out the door and around the corner to a second set of stairs that lead down to front entryway on the main floor.
HEPHAESTUS (CONT’D)
Follow me.
TALIA
Where are we going?
Around the corner comes Talia who now appears to be a few weeks old instead of hours.  Still quite new to being a kitten, she stumbles often over her own clumsy feet, occasionally falling or completely slipping when she steps off the runner carpet to walk on the hardwood floor.  Obviously overwhelmed with her new senses and instincts she starts batting at Hephaestus’s tail as she follows behind him.  Hephaestus flicks his tail out of the way as he begins down the stairs.
HEPHAESTUS
Stop that.  Now we haven’t much time to get you were you need to be.
TALIA
Where is that? 
(She giggles) 
Not that it matters.
HEPHAESTUS
And why shouldn’t it matter?
TALIA
Because I’m a cat. This is obviously a dream and any minute now my mother will be coming in to wake me up.  I never get to finish strange adventure dreams like this.
HEPHAESTUS
I’m sorry darling... er uh, what is your name by the way?
TALIA
(She looks around completely distracted barely answering)
Talia 
HEPHAESTUS
Talia, I’m Hephaestus.  Talia what is the last thing you remember?
TALIA
I was lying asleep in my bed when I woke up briefly because I heard a noise in my room and thought I heard someone breathing and then nothing.  I must have fallen back asleep.
HEPHAESTUS
I’m sorry Talia, no.  You’re not dreaming, you did not fall back asleep and the noise you heard was not your imagination. 
(He pauses) 
You my darling, like all other familiars, were murdered.  You died before your time and without a chance to accomplish anything of great enough value that your soul could hold onto the memory of it to rest peacefully. This is your one and only shot to accomplish something that will allow you to rest peacefully or wander the earth forever as a restless spirit. 
He looks at Talia waiting for response to everything he’s just told her.
TALIA
I’m sorry Hephaestus, but I don’t believe you.  I’m certain this is some sort of message from my subconscious, telling me that I need to get my act together and not just talk about making art but actually doing it. I mean why else would I create a spiritual advisor cat, the animal of intuition, named for the god of artisans and forges.  I’m a bloody glassblower. How more literal can you get?
HEPHAESTUS
Talia, you aren’t dreaming. What is something that could never happen in a dream that would only ever happen in the real world?
TALIA
Pain I guess.  You can imagine pain but you can’t actually feel pain in your dreams can you?
As Talia reaches the bottom of the stairs, Hephaestus bites the tip of her ear hard enough that just the very of her ear is bitten off and where she now is missing a bit of her ear she starts to bleed a little.  Hephaestus spits out the piece of ear.
TALIA (CONT’D)
You bit me.  Oh my god, you bit me. (Within their telepathic connection she really starts to yell)
HEY! I’m bleeding here, and that really f*****g hurt.  Oh my god. 
She immediately backs up and presses her back against the stairs, eyes wide and horrified.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Oh my god, you bit me and I felt it. I felt pain, in a dream. That can’t happen. But, but, this can’t be happening either, I can’t be a cat that breaks with any sense of reason or logic, but I know I can’t feel pain in dreams, I’ve tried before when I wanted to make sure and I never felt anything before.  Oh my god
The sound of her voice sounds hysterical as she’s starting to cry.
TALIA (CONT’D)
I’m a cat, I’m a right bloody house cat.  Oh my god, I can’t breathe.  I think I’m... yeah I’m definitely going to be sick.
She pukes and in between the gasps of vomit, we can hear her sobbing and crying.
HEPHAESTUS
Pick yourself up girl, we’ll have no more of that.  What’s done is done and there’s no going back to the way things used to be. The sooner you learn to deal with things the way they are, the better off you’ll be.
As the kitten Talia stops puking, Hephaestus rubs his head into her, comforting her.
HEPHAESTUS (CONT’D)
Come now. Its really not as bad as all that.  Our kind live much longer than normal house cats, and we rarely become ill. Its not as if you’ll be uncomfortable or unloved.  We’re taking you now to meet someone who will love and care for you all their life and you will do the same for them far beyond your own life. You’ll have a family of you very own soon before tonight is over.
Talia pops up and comes to attention as though a thought has erupted into her brain and given her an electric shock.
TALIA
A family, wait, I already have a family, and they’ll be missing me. It might be hard for them to believe at first but I’ll make them see. Mother loves cats, she’ll be over the moon to have an excuse to have a cat that father can’t refuse. It’ll be nothing but grade A sushi and cream saucers the rest of my life, I’m their daughter, they love me.
She gets up and starts to run towards the door.
TALIA (CONT’D)
I’m sorry Hephaestus, I’ve got to go, I have to find my family, they need me.
HEPHAESTUS
Talia no.
Hephaestus tackles Talia to the ground then gets up to stand between her and the door.
HEPHAESTUS (CONT’D)
Talia you can’t.  You can never see your family or anyone from your old life ever again and you can never let the humans know who and what you really are.
TALIA
What? Why not?
HEPHAESTUS
Talia, this might not make sense now but the fourth rule of magic is “To be Silent”. All you need to know for now is that if your secret is ever broken, your magic, the magic that keeps you alive and gives you your talents will be gone forever and one of two things will happen. Either you will drop dead on the spot and your soul will be cursed to walk the world in pain for eternity, which I’ve seen happen more times than I care to call to mind, or all of you, everything that remains from your human life, all your thoughts, your memories, your dreams, your heart, it will all just fade away.  You’ll live out the rest of your life as just a normal cat and then when you die from this life, you will simply cease to exist. 
(Pause)
Talia, you can never go home.
Talia who had gotten back up at this point just collapses to the ground when all that he’s said sinks in, what passes for a look of shock slapped across her kitten face. She nods her head and follows him out the door completely silent.
(Fade to Black)

EXT. CEMENT RAILING OF A BUSY SIDEWALK ALONG THE THAMES - DAY
Still the picture of an adorably cute kitten, Talia is much more confident and sure footed. She follows Hephaestus as they walk along a cement railing with the bright afternoon sun of a summer day overhead.  The streets are busy with traffic, the sidewalk full of people rushing to their lunch break, boats going up and down the Thames. Talia looks up and sees a group of tourists taking pictures of something. She looks over to see the London Eye.
TALIA
Eh, that’s the eye isn’t it.
HEPHAESTUS
Hmm, what?
Hephaestus briefly looks over disinterested in the structure.
HEPHAESTUS (CONT’D)
Yes, why? Haven’t you ever seen it before.
Talia looks up at the huge structure mesmerized. Her voice a little astonished.
TALIA
Only in books and on postcards. I was sick when my class did their trip to London.
Hephaestus now looks back obviously curious now but continues walking forward.
HEPHAESTUS
You said you were a glassblower, didn’t you go to uni for that?
TALIA
Yeah, well I did, sort of. I took a bunch of community ed classes in all sorts of glass art all through school and then I got my bachelors in Sculpture from Glasgow School of Art. I was actually applying for masters before all this happened. I wanted to go to school in America and be near my mum’s parents. We are, well were, really really close. I could tell my granmum anything and my pops he’s a jazz musician and he taught music at a college in Detroit before they retired and moved to Providence. I guess I’ll never do any of that now. 
(Pause) 
I had just finished putting up my show in Edinburgh. A wealthy couple that collects(?)collected(?) my art, they headed up the local arts council, and they were having a Christmas eve ball. They decided to show case my art so it could be auctioned off to help pay for my school. I was supposed to find out that night if I had won a scholarship from the art council to pay for my tuition.  I wonder what ever happened. 
(Pause)
Okay I know London is south of Edinburgh and all but isn’t this a bit unseasonably warm for Christmas? I mean its positively balmy.
HEPHAESTUS
That’s because its the beginning of August. You’ve been gone for a while. Its August the 5th.
TALIA
Really? Hey its my birthday, I mean ya know its the same day as my first birthday. I was born on my birthday? What are the chances of that?
HEPHAESTUS
Familiars usually are.
TALIA
Oh. So I’ve been gone eight months I guess. Strange.
HEPHAESTUS
When did you die?
TALIA
Like I said, eight months ago. December 23rd, 2011.
HEPHAESTUS
It August 5th, 2014. You’ve been gone 8 months, two years.
TALIA
Wait, 3 years, I’ve been completely dead for almost 3 years, why have I been gone so long?
HEPHAESTUS
Many familiars are gone much much longer than that before they incarnate.
TALIA
Incarnate? ...So why have I been born now? 
HEPHAESTUS
Like I said you have somewhere you need to be. Familiars aren’t reborn until its time for them and it isn’t time until a match has been found for you.
TALIA
A match?
HEPHAESTUS
You were born the first time with a human soul, you will always have a human soul even if you end up fading away to somewhere within your self as a cat, you have always been human will always be human, at least in your soul.
(Pause)
 Just like humans have a soulmate while they are alive which they spend their lives trying to find, familiars are born with a match, a soul mate here in this life who it will be your job to protect for the rest of your life. Unlike a human soulmate, a match is not a romantic connection but the love we feel for them and they in turn for us is far beyond anything we could ever have hoped to experience in our first life. They are everything to us, sibling, parent, child, friend, companion and love of your life. You are able to know everything your match is thinking and feeling at all times. It will be your job to protect your match not just from the world outside but from the emotional turmoil that lies inside which if not directed with love and compassion can lead them down a terrible and destructive path.
TALIA
So what is a match? You keep talking about protecting them, that we’re reborn especially to protect them but why? What makes them so special.
HEPHAESTUS
A match, is a young child born with an incredibly special and uniquely individual magical destiny. It is their life force which sustains you. If your match dies, you die, with the rare exception of a familiar matched with a set of twins but even then, unless the familiar has a great amount of heart and strength and the selfless love to carry on and protect the remaining twin, they will soon die of a broken heart.
Hephaestus and Talia run down a set of stairs into a tube entrance, being very careful to dodge the feet of the people in the underground and stopping every now and then to avoid being spotted by the guards or any of their dogs.  They eventually reach a platform, staying out of sight.  When the tube pulls into the station, they slink around looking for an empty carriage, finding one completely empty they dash in at the very last second before the doors close. Once the train starts moving, Hephaestus climbs onto the seat and Talia onto the window ledge.
TALIA
Where are we headed?
She looks anxiously out the window.
HEPHAESTUS
Don’t worry it will all be worth it. We are in fact headed to your new home in Vauxhall.
We focus in Talia, then when Hephaestus speaks again we pull out when Talia gives a shocked look, to see that Hephaestus is now human. Human Hephaestus is now looking down at his watch, sitting in a very out of style wrinkly old grey suit.
HEPHAESTUS (CONT’D)
Hmm. I had wanted to speak with you more before we arrived but I suppose it can’t be helped now, time tables and all. I’ll be seeing you again though
Hephaestus pulls a bright red silk ribbon and bow out of his pocket
HEPHAESTUS (CONT’D)
And you’ve got a very important date to keep at a young man’s birthday party.
(FADE TO BLACK)

INT. THE BEDROOM OF A SIX YEAR OLD BOY- EVENING JUST BEGINNING OF THE NIGHT
INT. 
We see a boy of six (Alfie) passed out asleep in bed, snoring drool hanging from his mouth, looking as though he’s about to fall off the bed and turned the wrong way on the bed. Beside his bed is a smart little suit all hung up. We hear a man’s voice yelling from far off, downstairs.
TONY
Alfie are you up yet?
ALFIE
Huh, oops.
Alfie falls out of the bed hitting his head. Another male voice this one with a mildly Hindi accent calls up to Alfie as well.
SAI
Alfie are you alright?
ALFIE
Yes Papa. 
Alfie laughs and rubs his head a little.
ALFIE (CONT’D)
I just landed on my head is all.
SAI
You’re luck you’ve got such a hard head then.
Sai says this as he knocks and comes in without waiting for a response. Sai walks over picks Alfie up, moves Alfie’s hand out of the way where he was holding his head from where he hit it, rubs the spot a little and kisses it.
SAI (CONT’D)
You sure you’re ok boo-boo? 
Alfie nods with a big smile. We hear Tony’s voice again from downstairs.
TONY
Are you two almost ready? The guests will all be here soon.
ALFIE
We’re coming Daddy.
TONY
Don’t you want to be ready before Aunt Mummy gets here so you can spend a bit of time with her before the rest of the guests?
ALFIE
OH! I have to get dressed!
Sai laughs.
SAI
Here I’ll give you a hand.

INT INTERIOR OF TONY AND SAI’S TOWNHOUSE
We see the main living space of the family’s townhouse. There are stairs leading down from the second floor landing and a cathedral ceiling on the main floor. Sai and Alfie are walking down the stairs both dressed, styled, brushed and washed, while Tony is setting out snacks and setting up for the party. Tony, Sai, and Alfie are all wearing suits of the same cut with the colors and fabrics expressing each of their individual personalities.  Alfie is wearing a vest under his suit jacket which was obviously sewn custom for him with fabric featuring star wars characters. Tony smiles when he sees his son and husband.
TONY
There are my two gorgeous men.  Don’t you both look handsome.
Tony kisses Sai and hugs Alfie.
TONY (CONT’D)
Happy birthday buddy.
Alfie smiles, then gets an excited look on his face.
ALFIE
Aunt Mummy and Heffie are here!
Sai and Tony both look out the picture window beside the door that over looks the front yard and walkway.
SAI
Where I don’t see them Buddy?
Alife points just moments before they both come into view at the opposite limits of view.
TONY
How does he do that?
Sai shrugs and laughs.

EXT. STREET OUTSIDE HOUSE- NIGHT
Hephaestus is walking down the street lamp lit street in his human form, he’s now wearing a brightly colored tie he tugs at uncomfortably around his neck. A ravishing blond in a little black dress waves at him as they meet in the middle in front of the walkway. They hug as she clutches her gossamer black shawl with one well manicured hand.
HEPHAESTUS
Elizabeth, was there ever a woman more beautiful?
Lizzie laughs
LIZZIE
You old flirt. Its wonderful to see again.
She playfully slaps the lapel of his jacket.
HEPHAESTUS
Oh, don’t get too rough. We wouldn’t want to maim Alfie’s birthday present.
Lizzie smiles and peeks over turning herself and Hephaestus towards the street so that they won’t spoil the surprise if Alfie is watching from the window.
LIZZIE
Oh, let me see!
Hephaestus pulls out Talia with the ribbon tied very gently to her neck and her coat perfectly groomed.
LIZZIE (CONT’D)
(gasp) Oh, so cute! You do love cats don’t you? Seems like all the kids you’ve become “uncle” to you’ve given a cat haven’t you? Well, he(?)
Hephaestus shakes his head
LIZZIE (CONT’D)
Oh, I’m so sorry little lady. Well she is just the cutest kitten I have ever seen. You better put her back in your pocket or Alfie will get tired of waiting and run out to meet us.

INT- INSIDE OF TOWNHOUSE- NIGHT
Tony, Sai and Alfie are standing in the entry way when they open it just before Lizzie and Hephaestus are about to knock on the door.
ALFIE
Aunt Mummy!
Smiling, Alfie promptly gives Lizzie a full force whole body slam hug, which he buries his face in. Lizzie laughs and hugs him back even though Sai and Tony have to catch her by the elbows to keep her from falling backwards with Alfie in arms out of her stilettos and out to door.
TONY
Gently buddy, don’t break her.
Lizzie crouches down so she’s sitting on the back of her feet in her heels in bent forward so she’s eye to eye with Alfie. She gives him three big kisses which leave huge red lipstick marks on his forehead and both cheeks.
LIZZIE
Hey kid, I’m happy to see you too.
She hugs him once more before, standing up so that she and Tony can kiss each other on both cheeks.
TONY
Hey Sis.
They hug.
LIZZIE
Hello my love.
She musses his hair a little which provokes an unintentional pouty face out of Tony. Lizzie throws her head back and laughs as Tony tries to fix his hair. She and Sai hug one another.
LIZZIE (CONT’D)
Hello darling. (Pronounced daawling) Are you and my dashing brother still being excellent parents to our son?
Sai nods and smiles at Alfie who looks up and smiles with an expectant look for the phrase that he knows is coming next.
LIZZIE (CONT’D)
Still the best wedding present you two got? Nay the best present anyone’s ever given you? (she asks with a coy charm)
Sai nods his head and Tony puts an affectionate hand on Sai’s shoulder.
LIZZIE (CONT’D)
Well let’s hope you still feel that way when he’s a teenager.
She throws her head back and laughs thinking herself a riot as everyone else smiles and shakes their heads at what is quite obviously the thousandth time they’ve heard the joke. She walks to the couch, slips off her stilettos, rubs her feet a bit, pours herself a large glass of wine and begins to chow down on the massive bowl of guacamole and chips. Tony winks and smiles at Hephaestus, then heads over to sit with his sister and join in her little feast. They can be heard talking and laughing in the background as they catch up. Alfie pulls an inexpensive handkerchief out of his pocket and tries his best to wipe the lipstick off his face, then places the handkerchief folded away back in his pocket. He looks straight up with a toothy smile just staring at Hephaestus who towers over everyone in the room. Hephaestus stands there trying his best not to smile but failing miserably. He twiddles his thumbs, rocks back on his feet and looks around the room everywhere but directly at Alfie, trying his best to pretend his doesn’t see Alfie.
ALFIE
Hi.
Hephaestus looks around as if trying to see who Alfie could be talking to. He then looks down at Alfie.
HEPHAESTUS
Ah, who me?
Alfie giggles and nods his head.
HEPHAESTUS (CONT’D)
Uhn, I thought maybe you’d forgot about me with all the excitement.
Alfies shakes his head as if that’s the goofiest thing he’s ever heard. Hephaestus, chuckles and gives the kids a big smile then pats his head.
ALFIE
Pick me up! Pick me up!
He says bouncing and holding up his arms.
HEPHAESTUS
I can’t do that, we might hurt your kitty.
He says this as he pulls Talia out of his pocket who gives a little meow at Alfie, who gasps holds his cheeks turns red and starts to cry. He ducks into Sai and buries his face. Hephaestus looks startled and a sincerely worried as he can’t comprehend what he’s done wrong.
SAI
Hey buddy. Is everything ok?
Alfie nods his head.
SAI (CONT’D)
Don’t you want a kitty?
Alfie nods his head.
SAI (CONT’D)
Wasn’t it very nice of Mr. Heffie to bring you a kitty?
Alfie nods his head very very vigorously.
SAI (CONT’D)
So what’s wrong buddy?
Alfie looks up at his dad, completely red faced, tears screaming down, eyes so puffy he can’t see out of them, nose running snot all the way to the corners of his mouth, his whole body heaving with little sobs. He says in a loud wail
ALFIE
I just love her SO much!
Hephaestus audibly sighs a huge sigh of relief and all the other adults laugh.
SAI
Do you want to hold the kitty?
Alfie looks at the kitty, chewing his finger, obviously wanting to but is hesitant as if he’s afraid he’ll break her. He nods slowly, as Sai holds his other hand Alfie pulls his hand out of his mouth and very delicately with just barely the tips of his fingers pets Talia ever so gently. He turns back towards Sai to cry and bury his face again but Sai won’t let him. He grabs him by the elbows and turns him around to face Hephaestus and Talia. Hephaestus has now crouched down to try to be closer to eye level with Alfie.
SAI (CONT’D)
Thank Mr. Heffie for your lovely gift and tell him you’ll take good care of her.
Alfie avoiding knocking his kitten out of Hephaestus’s hand, Alfie falls in Hephaestus’s chest and gives him the biggest bear hug he can muster. In what can only be referred to as the absolute super sincere whisper of a small child
ALFIE
Thank you so much Mr. Heffie, I love her so much. I promise, I’ll take extra special care of her and won’t let nothin’ bad happen to her evers.
  Hephaestus very gently so as not to hurt Talia brings his arms in around the small boy and pats him on the back. As Hephaestus and the boy end the hug and he starts to draw his arms away to stand up, Talia leaps from Hephaestus’s hand and lands on Alfie’s shoulder. She gives a small meow and licks his ear lobe which elicits a small squeak of surprise and pure joy out of Alfie. She walks along his collar bone and curls herself around his neck and begins to purr and Alife hugs her gently and pets her. Tony walks over to look at the pair.
TONY
Oh, how cute. Well I guess there’s one outfit I’m going to need to have laundered in the morning.
SAI
Shush.
TONY
Honey, why don’t take your kitty upstairs to your room before the rest of the guests get here?
ALFIE
Nooo, I want to stay with Diamond.
SAI AND TONY
Diamond?
ALFIE
That’s her name.
HEPHAESTUS           TALIA
Um she                    No don’t.
Alfie goes over to sit on the couch with the family, between Lizzie and Tony, Sai motions for Hephaestus to sit in one of the large easy chair besides the couch. He sits down and smiling watches everyone else.
HEPHAESTUS
(in telepathy) What?
TALIA
Don’t say anything.
HEPHAESTUS
(in telepathy) You like the name Diamond?
TALIA
I... I like the name because he gave it to me.
An affectionate knowing smirk crosses Hephaestus face upon hearing the comment.
HEPHAESTUS
(in telepathy) So are you happy?
TALIA
Yeah, its so strange, I’ve never felt this way before, with anyone. I was never very comfortable or natural with anyone in my old life, I always felt that I had to work at it, that I always had to be “on” with everyone to feel liked or loved.  Here, with him, I just... I can’t describe... He smells like warm oatmeal cookies and lavender shampoo and he’s so... I just...
HEPHAESTUS
(in telepathy) You just get to be present. You’re allowed to love unconditionally without having to put a qualifier to it or justify it to anyone?
TALIA
Yeah, that sounds so nice.
Talia is starting to get quiet and sound sleep, she purrs into Alfie as she begins to fall asleep
TALIA (CONT’D)
(Yawn) Thank you so much Hephaestus I really am (sleepy sigh and yawn) happy. 
Talia completely falls asleep and Aflie places her in his arms. She rolls over on her back in her sleep being cradled like a baby and smiling as she snuggles into Alfie, who is smiling at her. 
The phone rings and Tony answers it.
TONY
Mum, dad, hi! Yeah we’re doing good.
Tony waves at Sai and taps on a photo of a blond English woman and  an Indian man and mouths to him “Your parents”.
TONY (CONT’D)
Oh yeah we’re all doing good. You should have let us call you, its too expensive for you to be calling us from India, I feel bad running up your phone bill.
Sai, leans in and whispers in Alfie’s ear
SAI
Go take your kitty up to your room and let her sleep. She’ll be frightened if you leave her down here when everyone gets here
Alfie nods and mouths “ok”
TONY
Oh Alfie is doing great. Yeah...yeah...yeah. Yeah he actually just got a kitten so he’s taking it up to his bedroom so it isn’t in the way when the guests get here.
Alfie is walking up the stairs as Tony is saying all this.
TONY (CONT’D)
No not yet, they should be here soon. You know our friends, fashionably late and loud enough that we don’t have to worry about missing them if they get lost on the street. (laughs)
As Alfie reaches the door to his room the doorbell rings.
TONY (CONT’D)
Oh mom dad, I’m going to have to hand you over to your son, that’s the door... Love you too, bye now.
SAI
Hi mom.
Tony opens the door, and you can the loud jubilant greetings as a very large crowd of people start pouring in through the door.
 Yeah, we’re all doing great, yeah everyone is just starting to arrive.
INT- ALFIE’S BEDROOM- NIGHT
Alfie enters his bedroom, with the door open the loud noises of celebration in the living room pour through into the room and then are entirely muffled when Alfie shuts the door behind him. He sets Talia on top of his pillow, and kisses the top of her head.  He quietly whisper
ALFIE
Goodnight Diamond, I love you. 
Talia twitches in her sleep. Alfie jumps back a little worried he’s woken her up, then does the overly dramatic “sneaking” walk that little kids thinks is quiet and then in an exaggerated and incredibly breathy though still quiet little kid whisper
ALFIE (CONT’D)
I’ll see you in the morning.
Alfie goes to the door and opens it 
RANDOM PARTY GUEST
Hey it’s Alfie!
Alfie closes the door behind him as he goes onto the landing. 
CROWD OF PARTY GUESTS
(sung at the top of their lungs though still quiet and melodious through the door) For he is a jolly good fellow for he is a jolly good fellow, for he is a jolly good FELLOW! And so say all of us and so say all of us. For he is a jolly good fellow which no one can deny.
(Fade to black on Talia asleep on Alfie’s pillow)

INT. ALFIES BEDROOM- EARLY TWILIGHT HOURS 
The sun isn’t up yet but the sky is starting to get the slow pink tones of the sunrise. Talia wakes to find Alfie asleep his head resting on the pillow beside her. He’s kicked off all of his covers so that he’s in nothing but a pair of undies and his dress socks, his pajamas hung over a chair untouched. He’s shivering a little bit in his sleep. Talia yawns a little bit, stretches and smiles at the kid and walks down the bed towards the edge of the blanket that is barely hanging off.
TALIA
(chuckles to herself) You sure are a restless sleeper aren’t you? Shivering you’re so cold and you’re too passed out to pull up the blanket. 
Talia lets out an amused exasperated sigh in “telepathy”. She grabs the corner of the blanket with her teeth.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Hmmm. Well this is really a bit heavy for a kitten to try to pull up but let’s give it a try anyway.
Pulling she first meets a little resistance from the blanket and then it starts to slid up the bed and she’s able to easily scamper up the bed with the blanket in her mouth.
TALIA (CONT’D)
HA! I’m stronger than I look.
She gets the blanket up and covering Alfie completely, he smiles at the warmth. She then begins to inspect him and then the room.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Ok kid. Well we’re going to be living together for a long time, long as I’ll be around anyway, so let’s get a look at ya and see if we can figure out how you tick.
She walks up and looks at Alfie as he’s sleeping.
TALIA (CONT’D)
I’ve actually never met someone before that’s the mixed race child of a mixed race child. I really like the dark skin with the fair hair and eyes, its very fetching. I am or at least I was mixed too.
She softly puts her paws on his face to while she takes a closer look at him.
TALIA (CONT’D)
My mom was black from Detroit, that’s a city in the state of Michigan in the United States. She met my dad at Uni. She’d never been outside the US so she decide to study in Scotland to try something new and different.
She leans against his face, front legs folded and head resting on them, looking at him.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Dad was at Uni studying finance and hospitality. He was planning to take over the family business from his dad. My dad’s family still owns their ancestral lands and manor. They run a resort out of it now.
Alfie snores a little and mumbles in his sleep
ALFIE
Pie.
Talia giggles
TALIA
If you like pie you should taste my mom’s someday. She didn’t know what she wanted to study till she met my dad and they fell in love. His dream became hers and after she graduated they got married and started working at the resort for my grandfather. Dad did the books and did all the trips for the special VIP guests. Dad started taking me with him when I was three to keep me out of the way and I loved it. 
Talia hops on Alfies chest and looks out the window.
TALIA (CONT’D)
I spent all day, everyday of my life on that resort when I wasn’t at school in the village. Till I left for Uni that is.
Talia looks back down at Alfie, kind of sad and thoughtful.
TALIA (CONT’D)
My goodness, when I went away to Uni I cried every day. It was really scary, all those new things. I’d spent every night of my life sleeping in our little house back in the woods on the back of the property. We never used air conditioning. 
Talia takes a deep sigh.
TALIA (CONT’D)
This time of year I’d be sleeping with my window open listening to crickets chirping whispering with my little brother through the screen in our room. But I learned to adjust to life in the city, and I eventually got over my fears that something bad would happen to me. I mean I guess something did but I was really happy selling my art in the big city right up until I died. I’m not scared about anything happening to me anymore, though I’m starting to get worried about those outside forces Hephaestus said I’d have to protect you from. I’ll still miss home a little but I’ve got you... don’t I?
Alfie snorts in his sleep, then rolls on his stomach butt in the air and snores even deeper. Talia jumps on the window sill barely avoiding being rolled on top of.
TALIA (CONT’D)
I see you’re not much of a conversationalist this early in the morning.
She manages to unlock and open the window with her paws.
TALIA (CONT’D)
I’ll be back later after I’ve had some time to explore the neighborhood and get my bearings, hopefully by then you’ll be awake again.
Talia slips out the window and we can see her through the window walking across a thick cable that runs from just below the window sill to the rooftop of another building.



EXT. ROOFTOPS OF LONDON- DAY
Talia is walking up and down the rooftops of London, looking at all the scenery of her new neighborhood and most importantly trying to memorize all the streets and what’s on them. She’s going along mumbling to herself and making mental notes about everything she sees, especially anything important or suspicious.
TALIA
Here I am trying to learn the neighborhood and keep an eye out for anything that could be dangerous the Alfie but especially anything that looks like these (voice starts to sound annoyed) damn dark outside forces and I don’t have any idea (screaming) what the bloody hell I’m looking for!
Talia is startled by the “sound” of her own voice and the volume.
TALIA (CONT’D)
No one heard that right? I don’t think so... So I don’t move my mouth when I speak in regular human language and humans can’t hear me or understand me as far as I can tell. I know other familiars can, I wonder if non-familiar animals can as well.
Talia walks over to a raven perched on a TV antenna and first tries meowing at it a little bit to get its attention. When its looking at her, vaguely curious though not interested in getting any closer, Talia tries speaking to it.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Excuse?! Mr. Raven? My name is Talia.
The raven squawks at her.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Tal E ya. Talia. I’m sorry if I’m bothering you, but can’t you please just tell me if you understand me?
The bird squawks at her again and flies off.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Well that didn’t work. Even if I never meet another familiar in my whole life and I never see Hephaestus again, it would be really nice to have someone or something to talk to every now and then. Alfie’s great, but he can’t understand a damn thing I’m saying. I have no idea how to do that thing where you turn into a human, if I’m even able to, and that isn’t something only Hephaestus can do. Not to mention what happens if I turn into a human and I’m naked and I look just like I did the before I died. There’s no way a naked woman running around the streets of London wouldn’t end up on the news, and if the secret gets out and people figure out I’m supposed to be dead, then I really will be dead. (gasp) 
Talia sees a plain orange tabby on the roof of a building that is a few floors shorter than the one she’s on. She starts running towards it bounding towards it as fast as she can get down to it.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Another cat! Maybe I couldn’t talk talk to the raven cause its a bird and I’m a cat, maybe I can only talk to animals like myself.
She gets close to it and meows at it. It looks up from licking itself to see who it is and then goes back to licking itself.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Hi, my name is Talia, and I’m a cat! Like you! Well not exactly like you but, well...
The cat just continues licking itself
TALIA (CONT’D)
I’m sorry, can you understand me? At all? Even a little bit?... Oh maybe you can understand but just can’t talk back because you weren’t ever a human. Ok if you understand me nod your head.
The cat stands up, facing away from Talia and starts nodding its head.
TALIA (CONT’D)
(in an incredibly hyper and excited voice) Oh my god, someone understands me. You have no idea how lonely I was starting to feel. I hope this doesn’t come off too desperate stalker chick but can we please be friends? My people don’t understand me, and the birds don’t seem to understand or at least don’t pay any attention to me. I’d really be a good friend, I promise. Hey I even know how to order sushi online and slip the money under the door if you like fresh fish.
The cat, hasn’t stop “nodding” its head this entire time and is beginning to rock its body back with the nods.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Really?! Really really really! This is too amazing. Even if you can’t talk back I’ve got someone to talk to who will understand me and we’ll figure out a way to communicate... I’ll just ask you yes or no questions!
Talia is so blissfully excited that rubs up against the other can affectionately. Now the other cat is starting to really hunch down and strain as it rocks back. Talia looks the other cat in the face when it starts to make a gasping gurgling sound.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Hey are you ok friend? You don’t looks so good. If you’re not feeling well we can go find you some water and a place to lay down or a v...
The orange cat pukes up a hair ball straight ahead, directly into Talia’s face. A look of shock comes over her face and then a look of anguish.
TALIA (CONT’D)
You haven’t understood a word I’ve said have you? 
The cat looks at her meows
TALIA (CONT’D)
You were just coughing up a hair ball, weren’t you?
The cat rubs up affectionately against her and then scampers down through an open skylight window into the apartment it calls home.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Isn’t your fault I guess. I just got too excited. I just thought I wasn’t alone anymore.
FADE TO:Black



EXT. ABANDONED BIRD’S NEST IN CHURCH BELL TOWER- MIDDAY
Talia is sleeping inside the bird’s nest, when she suddenly wakes up with a start. 
TALIA
Oh my gosh, Alfie! What time is it, oh no I should have been home hours ago. Wait... what am I feeling? Its Alfie, I can feel Alfie and I can kinda catch bits of what he’s thinking. Oh no! I’m missing.
Talia is running like a blur out of the church tower over the roof and jumping across to next rooftop.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Alfie’s out looking for me. He’s crying and... and he thinks its his fault that I’m gone!? Oh no, the window! He thinks he left it open. And he’s wait where is he? 
Talia gets a flash of what Alfie is seeing. He’s sneaks past his dads, outside alone, and now he’s out looking for her by himself. Talia is running at a mad dash as fast as she can across the rooftops.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Please, please no. Alfie, I’m coming Alfie, I’m coming. Oh my gosh please don’t let anything happen to him.
Talia comes to a dead stop at the corner of a roof. It a huge drop beneath her and the buildings below don’t look like anything she’s seen so far.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Wait, where am I? S**T, S**T, bloody f*****g s**t. Where am I? How am I going to find Alfie if I don’t even know where I’m at?
Talia lets out a desperate wail.
OLIVER
Excuse me miss
Talia looks down at the street below to see a rather large English bulldog sitting looking up at her.
OLIVER (CONT’D)
I couldn’t help overhearing and it seems to me that you’re in a bit of a distress. 
Talia leaps the four stories down to land in front of the pull dog. For a second it looks as if the fall might have done some real damage and then she heals magically, which Talia completely ignores and Oliver is not shocked at in the least.
TALIA
Yes, you, you’re a familiar too?
OLIVER
Uh, yes ma’am, that’s me. Names Oliver.
TALIA
Yeah great. Talia, my boy is in danger I have to find him this instant but I’m completely lost. I live in Vauxhall not too far from the tube station.
OLIVER
I know it well misses. If you’re boy’s in trouble we better get in a hurry.
Oliver starts running off down a street at full speed (which is far beyond that of any normal bulldog) with Talia right beside him.

EXT. BUSY STREET CORNER VAUXHALL- LATE AFTERNOON
Oliver and Talia are on a busy street corner on a major road, a semi flies by horns blaring as another car cuts it off.
TALIA
This is all my fault, I’m so worried we’re never going to find him. Its my job to protect him and I’ve lost him first day on the job. If anything happens to that boy I won’t be able to live with myself.
OLIVER
If anything happens to that boy you won’t be able to live at all. 
Oliver lets out a big chuckle and Talia looks at him shocked.
TALIA
That isn’t funny! There could be some pervert out there, ready to pick him up and do terrible things to my boy and all you can do is make sick jokes?
OLIVER
Now calm down misses, if its your first day on the job he only turned six yesterday, he can’t have gotten far. Now close your eyes for a moment, shut everything else out, quiet your mind and just listen for your little boy and he’ll tell you where he’s at.
Talia closes her eyes for a minute and sees Alfie standing with a bunch of other kids near a sandbox and a jungle gym.
TALIA
A park, he’s at a park and its close by.
OLIVER
I know just the place, follow me. This way!
Talia and Oliver arrive at the park and are standing in a row of huge thick bushes that can neither been seen over or through on either side but can see out in both directions. With a sigh of relief.
TALIA
Oh I see him. Thank you so much Oliver, I could never have found him with out you. You’re a real hero.
Oliver barks a few times and a man steps out of a van with tinted windows.
OLIVER
Which one is your boy?
TALIA
(feeling uneasy) Why?
OLIVER
You’re going to need help getting him home safe and sound, a little kitten like you, what are you going to do to dissuade the tyke from running off again? What’ll you do if someone tries to jump you two on your way home. You really should tell me which one is yours and I’ll help you get him home.
TALIA
No really, we can make it home on our own. I get the feeling he comes here all the time with his dad so I think he’ll be able to find his way home pretty easy.
OLIVER
No you need to tell me which one he is, now.
Oliver is standing on Talia’s back leg and he’s slowly growing in size.
TALIA
Oliver what, what are you doing? That’s my leg, you’re hurting me.
OLIVER
Shut! Up! For f**k sake you familiars and your annoying devotion to your matches. (Mocking tone) Oh my stars and garters, my child my child has anyone seen my child? (Normal voice) You make me sick. Now you listen here you little fur ball, you tell me which one your kid is or I rip your head off here and now. You make this easy on yourself and I’ll see that when my master drains the last of his life force and his magic, he’ll leave just enough that he’ll survive in a coma for the rest of his life and you can keep on living. Now tell me who is it?
Oliver is now enormous and looks almost demonic. He’s right in Talia’s face baring his teeth. In a moment of panic and rage literally claws out Oliver’s eyes, blinding him as she screams
TALIA
NO!
Oliver is wailing in pain, biting at only air as he’s blinded and trashing about. Talia begins running straight for Alfie and the man from the van on the opposite side of the bushes runs towards the bushes obviously looking for Oliver
TALIA (CONT’D)
Alfie, oh god Alfie. How am I going to get him out of here? How are we going to get away from them? It doesn’t matter I just have to get to Alfie, I’ll die before I let them touch him.
As Talia is running towards Alfie, she suddenly becomes human and is running across the playground in a white cotton night gown.  She runs up, picks him up from behind and puts one hand over his eyes as she keeps running.  A parent ahead yells at her.
PARENT #1
Hey what are you doing with that kid?
TALIA
Baby-sitter, fell asleep watching him and now the parents are worried sick. Sorry can’t stop, see ya thanks bye.
Talia is running at full speed and gets through the bushes on the opposite side of the park before the man and Oliver enter the park on the other side. She keeps running and ducks around the corner of a building then looking around she quickly knows exactly where she is and runs off down the road still carrying Alfie in her arms with one hand over his eyes.


EXT. AN ALLEY JUST ACROSS THE STREET OUTSIDE THE TOWN HOUSE- NIGHT
Outside the town house, the police are taking a missing persons report speaking with Sai and Tony. Tony is hysterical crying into Sai’s arms. Talia is looking at the scene, trying to figure out how to handle the situation. As gently as she can without hurting him, Talia shoves Alfie as far around the corner towards the house as she possibly can then immediately turns back into a cat. Kitten Talia runs up beside Alfie and meows as loudly as she can.
ALFIE
Diamond!
SAI AND TONY
Alfie!
Sai and Tony run across the street and wrap their arms around him.
TONY
Alfie, are you ok, are you alright? 
Tony is sobbing and looking every inch of Alfie as if he were looking for the faintest bruise or cut that could tell him everything that’s happened.
ALFIE
I’m fine daddy. Look I found Diamond!
SAI
Found Diamond? Was Diamond missing? Is that what you’ve been doing while we’ve been panicking for the last few hours, looking for Diamond? Alfie, its a CAT! Cats wander off all the time and find their way home. Something could have happened to you, somebody could have grabbed you and you were out wandering around looking for a cat? Alfie don’t you ever wander off without us ever again or I’m going to give that cat away to someone responsible enough keep it.
ALFIE                       TONY
(in a loud wail)            (in an angry whisper) 
Nooo!                        Sai, that isn’t helping!
ALFIE
You CAN’T have her! You try to take Diamond away from me, I’ll run away from home and you’ll never see me again!
Alfie runs away from his dads and into the house
TONY
Alfie, WAIT! (Turning to his husband) Real smooth Sai. That’s just want we want! Now if he accidentally wanders off again, because I’m cooking and someone else is sleeping! he’s not going to come home because he’s going to afraid that we’ll take his f*****g cat away from him.
Tony runs in the house after Alfie, he goes inside and as he does we can hear:
TONY (CONT’D)
Alfie! Come here sweetheart, no one is going take away your cat.
Sai sighs, and looks up at his house defeated.
POLICEMEN #1
Hey don’t beat yourself up too bad about it.  Kids are kids, you can’t watch them all the time and occassionally they will get distracted and wander off. Doesn’t make you a bad parent. Wait till their teenagers. My son, instead of coming out to us, wrote us a letter that he was in love with a boy and there was no way we’d ever understand so he was running away forever where we’d never find him. Took us a week to find the little s**t. The boy that he was in “great desperate undying love” with, was the same kid he’s been friends with since they were in diapers. He told the boys parents that we said it was ok if he stayed there a while, and well, we’ve been friends with them for years and they’re none too bright. Just remember, you give a s**t. In my book that makes you a hell of a lot better parents than 9 of 10 of the parents I see when I get called out somewhere. 
He pats him on the back with his clipboard.
POLICEMEN #1 (CONT’D)
Don’t worry to much. Just remember, deep breath in (breaths in deep) washu, let it all out. 
The cops start to get into the car.
POLICEMEN #1 (CONT’D)
If you’re worried the kid is going to make a habit out of wandering off there are really great child locator devices that clip on so the kid can’t lose them and little kid proof cellphones made to only send and receive calls from numbers you set into them. I tell you I’d have a hell of a lot less grey hair if they’d had those when my kids were that age.
The cop shuts his door, waves and drives off. Sai, looks up at the house, takes a deep breath in.
SAI
Washu (deep exhale).
Sai walks up and inside the house, closing and locking the door behind him.


INT. ALFIE’S ROOM-NIGHT 
Alfie is tucked into bed, the lamp light on. Tony is sitting on the bed and the two of them are talking. Sai is standing in to doorway watching, hesitant to come it, feeling awful about what he said to Alfie. Talia is sitting on Alfie’s lap while he pets her.
TONY
I promise promise, no one is ever going to take your cat away. Papa and I were just so afraid when we couldn’t find you, we thought something had happened to you. I think Papa just said those things because he was more scared than he’d ever been in his whole entire life, and then when, thank god, you do turn up, it turns out you just wandered off with out talking to either of us.  Alfie, you walked off without even thinking about your own safety or how much we would worry about you. You didn’t trust us, that we would help you find your cat. You didn’t trust us that something that was really important to you and that you loved a whole heck of a lot, would be important to us to. I think that just really hurt Papa’s feelings.
Alfie’s eyes water a bit, he sniffles his nose before he wipes his whole face with his whole sleeve of his arm. Tony wipes the tears out of his own eyes, then pulls a cloth hanky out of his pocket and uses it to help Alfie blow his nose. Sai, turns his head out into the hall and wipes away what little mist he hasn’t been able to hold back from his eyes as discreetly as he can.
ALFIE
I’m sorry Daddy, I’m really really sorry Papa.
Sai comes over and sits on Alfie’s bed, gives him a hug and rubs his back with the heel of his wrist as he sits up and talks to him, the side Alfie’s head laying on Sai’s thigh.
SAI
I’m sorry to ok. I promise, I’m not going to take your cat away, but no more running off ok? Someone might have grabbed you.
ALFIE
But somebody did.
TALIA
Oh crap.
SAI
Someone tried to abduct you?
TONY
Who did? Did they hurt you at all? Did they touch you in your bathroom parts?
Both parents are very obviously distraught to hear that their son was the victim of a kidnapping. Stands up and pulls his cellphone out
SAI
I’m going to call the police back right now so Alfie can give them a description of the kidnapper, they might come back.
TALIA
Sadly there’s no way he could give a description of the actual attempted kidnapper. (Sigh) Well as bad as this is going at least those freaks didn’t get their hands on Alfie.
ALFIE
No Papa, it wasn’t like that. It was an angel.
TONY
What?
Sai looks sceptical immediately feels Alfie’s forehead, then grabs a thermometer from the bedstand and sticks in the Alfie’s mouth. He’s still holding his phone in his hand, trying to decide if he should dial.
ALFIE
I’m not sick daddy. It was a super pretty lady in a soft white dress.
TALIA
Aah, he thinks I’m pretty.
ALFIE
She picked me up and then it was completely dark and I heard her say that you guys were worried about me and she was taking me home and we flew all the way here.
TALIA
Not quite how it happened, though flying would have been a lot nicer on my feet than running the whole way home barefoot.
TONY
Are you sure you’re feeling ok? 
ALFIE
Yes, daddy I’m fine. 
TONY
What do you think we should do, do we call the police?
SAI
And tell them that our son was carried home by an angel? We’ll make an appointment to see his doctor in the morning, she what she thinks then go from there. You got him ready for bed, did it look like there was anything obviously wrong?
Tony shakes his head
SAI (CONT’D)
Now Alfie, this is super important, are you sure no one touched you even a little bit in your bathroom parts?
ALFIE
Yes Papa, I’m sure. I’m fine. (Sighs) Can I go to bed now? I think Diamond’s tired from getting lost today.
Sai rolls his eyes.
TONY
Yeah sure honey. We’ll see you in the morning. 
They both exit the room and turn off all the lights as they go.
TONY (CONT’D)
Door open or closed?
ALFIE
(Yawn) Open please. Night night.
SAI AND TONY
Good night.
Alfie falls asleep the moment his head touches the pillow. The dads walk down the hall to their room and turn on the news. We can see in the door of their room as they are illuminated by the light of television in front of them.
NEWS CASTER#1
A 12 year old girl was found dead in her home in Pimlico today. She’d stayed home to finish homework while her parents went to dinner. When her parents found her they immediately called emergency services but nothing could be done when paramedics arrived, she’d been dead for almost an hour. Police say she was tied down to her bed by her wrists and ankles. She had been cut with a large knife in a ritualistic occult fashion all over her body and had slowly bled to death. Police report there were no signs of any sexual abuse. It seems like the perpetrator forced his way in through her bedroom window and considering the time line of events its highly unlikely that this was in anyway random or spontaneous. Its believe that the murderer had been stalking the family for months learning their routine so when they had the opportunity they knew exactly how much time they had. Its believed that perpetrator somehow managed to carry a large dog in through the window with him as between the window and the desk were the girl had been studying, her cat was found completely ripped to shreds. Now for our police correspondent who is standing outside the coroner’s office with further details.
Tony gasps at something on the television screen.
TONY
Close the door I don’t want Alfie to hear this.
Sai closes the door to their bedroom. Alfie and Talia are fast asleep on Alfie’s bed.
FADE TO BLACK

INT ALFIE’S BEDROOM- NIGHT
Its pitch dark inside the bedroom, Hephaestus is sitting as a cat outside the window with another cat just beside him.
HEPHAESTUS
Talia
TALIA
(sleep groans)
HEPHAESTUS
Talia
TALIA
(more sleep groans) huh?
HEPHAESTUS
Talia WAKE UP!
TALIA
What do you want Hephaestus?
HEPHAESTUS
We need to take you somewhere.
TALIA
No.
HEPHAESTUS
No?
TALIA
I said no, now go the f**k away.
HEPHAESTUS
We need to talk to you... That was really stupid today.
TALIA
Tell me something I don’t know. I just instantly love this kid like I’ve given birth to him myself and its my job to protect him. F**k all if I’m doing a good job of it though. I’m supposed to be protecting him and the only things I’ve done so far is rip his family apart, make him cry, and almost get him killed.
Talia is crying. Hephaestus looks through the window at Talia concerned and sighs.
TALIA (CONT’D)
Look, I’m not going to cause this family a single moment of pain more and I’m not going to get put this little boy in anymore danger than I already have so piss off, I’m done with you.
HEPHAESTUS
Talia, ya fucked up, to a very complete and thorough degree, and yes you made the situation worse before you made it better, but you did make it better. At the end of the day you got Alfie out of there and got him home safely without Oliver and his master finding out who he is.
TALIA
How do you know who Oliver is? In fact how do you know about any of the things that happened today?
HEPHAESTUS
That’s what we need to talk to you about. The local council of familiars feels that I’ve been remiss in my duties not properly explaining enough to you for you to understand what is going on.
TALIA
Ya think?
HEPHAESTUS
Be that as it may be, not coming tonight to meet with the council could put Alfie in far more danger than even today’s near miss with tragedy.
TALIA
Where’s this meeting at?
HEPHAESTUS
Just a few blocks away, after today you’ll know the second Alfie starts to wake up and we’re but moments away.
TALIA
I’m not leaving Alfie alone for even a second. If they want to talk to me we can do it on my own roof here at home.
HEPHAESTUS
Talia, the hunter doesn’t as of yet know where you live, and he hasn’t figured out who Alfie is or what he looks like. You’ve already told Oliver what neighborhood you live in, they’ll be looking for you. What do you think would happen if they happened to see a whole glaring of familiars on top of your roof? Do you think that might be a big flashing red sign?
Talia looks really confused and keeps staring at Alfie then back at the window.
HEPHAESTUS (CONT’D)
Molly here will stay to stand watch and keep an eye out for trouble while staying out of sight incase Oliver or the Hunter come back.
Talia hops up onto the window sill and opens the window. She looks back at Alfie and whispers
TALIA
I promise I’ll be back as quick as I can.
MOLLY
Don’t worry miss, I’ve raised a match of my own, I know a thing or two about staying ahead of the Hunters.
TALIA
Alright, let’s go.



EXT. ROOFTOP-NIGHT
When Hephaestus and Talia get on to the rooftop, the stars are brighter than they should be overhead. Around the top molding of the roof, sitting upright and stoic eight cats all face in towards a single point near the center. In front of these cats sit about probably 40 or 50 more cats all sitting upright, all facing the center point where the roof of the building has warped, creating what serves as a little podium. Hephaestus walks along the molding of the roof, nodding to each of the cats as he goes by till he finds his seat in an empty spot among the eight cats bringing the count to nine. Talia can feel all their eyes on her and gets the feeling she’s expected to stand on top of the makeshift podium. When Talia takes her intended spot, the tall slender cat in the center of the nine “clears her throat” all of the cats in attendance turn their heads and focus all their attention on her. She turns to face all of the other eight cats who bow to her and she gives a slight nod in reply. A cat from the side among the eight cats speaks up.
CAT DIGNITARY #1
The London domain of familiar council will now come to order, presiding, her royal majesty, the beneficent, dam of the house of Laurel, presiding high female cat of Buckingham Palace, Queen Isis, aka Snow Flake.
QUEEN ISIS
Thank you. Now then, 
She looks at Hephaestus questioningly
Talia(?)
Hephaestus nods
QUEEN ISIS (CONT’D)
Talia, what can you tell me about the events of today.
TALIA
Well ma’am, your majesty, I was attempting to memorize streets and their layouts in my neighborhood give me a better sense of my bearings and get a good idea of where to try to get Alfie to avoid...
QUEEN ISIS
Your match?
TALIA
Yes ma’am. I had hoped to be back before Alfie woke up, but I got so tired I fell asleep.  I overslept way too long and when Alfie put himself in danger to go looking for me I felt it and I knew I had to rush home.
Talia pauses trying to gauge the reaction of her audience thus far.
QUEEN ISIS
Continue.
TALIA
Well ma’am, I got so upset that I just started running as fast as I could home but I was too worried about getting there quickly that I was paying good enough attention to where I was going and I got lost.  Well this dog Oliver, the familiar (?)
Queen Isis shakes her head, indicating that no he is not a familiar
TALIA (CONT’D)
Well I thought he was a familiar and he offered to help me get home and find Alfie, which I guess now I know he was only helping me to get close enough to Alfie to abduct him and take his power.
QUEEN ISIS
What did you tell Oliver about yourself, about your home, your relationship with Alfie? What did he ask you?
TALIA
I told him that we live in Vauxhall, that my match was a boy and that we’d only met the day before. I think he tried asking a few other questions nonchalantly so I didn’t notice he was getting information out of me but to my knowledge I didn’t let anything else slip about Alfie or his family.
QUEEN ISIS
So what we know for sure is that the hunter and his beast know what neighborhood you live in, if I understand correctly what park your child frequents, as well as Alfie’s exact age and date of birth. Oh, and he knows your date of birth though I gather not the year that you were first born, but that still leaves an opportunity for him to track you down and expose you to eliminate you as a threat to his plans all together. Young woman this isn’t good.
TALIA
I’m so sorry, I didn’t know.
QUEEN ISIS
No you didn’t, and that was Hephaestus’s job for not telling you. 
She turns to speak to the crowd
QUEEN ISIS (CONT’D)
After the news report tonight coming out Pimilico, and the events of today, we can deny it no longer. We have a hunter in our midsts that is indiscriminate of where he gets his power or who he has to kill to take it. Listening to all reports its obvious he has bound a hell hound as his nachzehrer. All supernaturals in London are at risk, but the innocents we are charged with protecting are unable to protect themselves, we are all in grave peril.
Turning back to Talia
QUEEN ISIS (CONT’D)
As Hephaestus seems to be overloaded with his duties, I am putting the assistant to the council, Artemis,
A lithe silver cat seems to appear at Talia’s side out of nowhere, she nods and smiles at Talia
QUEEN ISIS (CONT’D)
In charge of your tutoring. Her charge is fully raised so she is able to spend much more time away from her. Artemis, you’ve wanted more responsibility from the council for a long time, prove to me that you are worthy to someday hold a seat at this council.
ARTEMIS
Yes my Queen.
Artemis bows her head and waits for Talia to join her before they raise them both together and are dismissed by the Queen. As they walk off, the cancel can be heard going over other matters, mainly bureaucratic. Artemis and Talia start walking back towards the townhouse.
ARTEMIS (CONT’D)
Don’t worry, I promise, we’ll have you fully trained in no time. My match doesn’t live too far from yours. 
TALIA
Really?
ARTEMIS
Yeah, I even found this attic in an old house that’s been chained up because the family can’t bear to live in it or sell it. Its full of really gorgeous clothes that should look totally fetch on you.
TALIA
That’s amazing, thank you.
ARTEMIS
Hey no problem. Its really hard to get used to the transition, even for someone who’d only been gone as long as you. I was gone fifty years before I was placed with a match. Let me tell you, going from the 1930’s to the 1980’s overnight was a huge culture shock, on top of being a cat. Anytime you want to talk, about anything, I’m there for you. By the way, do you dance?
TALIA
Uh, yeah, but its not like we can go out dancing some place.
ARTEMIS
Yes we can
TALIA
How?
ARTEMIS
AH, so that’s the best part, you only have to keep your true self hidden from your match till they’re fully grown. Once they’re an adult who knows the truth about who they are and what they can do, you’re allowed to tell them who you are and then you get to know them all over again.  Its so much fun.
TALIA
That’s great but how does that help me?
ARTEMIS
Oh, well my match baby-sits to earn extra money while she’s going through uni to be a primary school teacher. If she casually by “coincidence” meets your match’s parents she might be able to baby-sit for us and then we can have a night on the town. Truth be told, a fully grown match, regardless of their specialty, is usually going to be a lot more powerful than a couple of familiars.
TALIA
Gosh, I’d love her to come to the house even when I’m not planning on going anywhere if she’s that big of a help.
ARTEMIS
I know right. And since she knows about familiars she’s allowed to know about any familiar who chooses to divulge their secret. Sadly though with full time uni and her own duties that come along with growing into her powers, she hasn’t got a ton of free time.
TALIA
(laughing) What do matches even “do” with their powers once they get them?
ARTEMIS
I actually don’t know entirely.
They both bust out laughing and run off in the direction of home.
FADE TO BLACK



INT. INSIDE THE MASTER HUNTER’S STUDIO APARTMENT- NIGHT
Oliver’s eyes have grown back but they’re red and bloodshot and have rings where Talia dug out the centers. He’s ripping and chewing up a gigantic couch cushion, eat it stuffing and all. The man who stepped out of the van earlier (the master hunter), is sitting in front of his computer staring at the monitor, a slice of pizza in one hand a cheap can of beer in the other. Every now and then, he sets down his beer and holds on to the pizza with his teeth while he furiously types something into his computer. The apartment is a mess. There are maps all over the walls with push pins in them, and yarn leading out to pictures of different kids, and occasionally an adult.  All the children are relatively recent photos, the adults range from rent all the way back to snap shots of paintings of people from the medieval era. Quite a few of the faces have either the adult crossed out or both the child and the adult crossed out. The dishes in the sink are dirty and overflowing, there’s pizza boxes and to go containers all over the floor. On the walls and ceiling he has posters of; Nick Griffin of the BNP, Rock Against Communism, Ron Edwards of the KKK, Kity Blair, and pages of the Malleus Maleficarum. He takes a drag off a crack pipe.
OLIVER
Uh, I hate cats. I hate familiars too. I hate cats and familiars. I’d hate all familiars even if they weren’t all cats. Next time I see that cat I’ll bite its throat so she starts to slowly choke on her own blood, then I’ll put my teeth around her skull and bite down till her brain starts to squirt out and THEN
MASTER HUNTER
Enough! Oliver, my friend you have to be patient. We’re playing the long game. They have to be constantly on guard at all times for years in order to be successful, we only have to get the better of them once and they’re out of commission. It will be twelve years till the boy’s saturn return. It will get a little bit harder every day that goes by but until he reaches the age of his saturn return and fully inherits his powers, he hasn’t have a chance of beating us in a head on fight. Do you really think she’s going to be able to keep him from us for twelve years?
He kicks a shoebox full of pictures of kids that have been exed out.
MASTER HUNTER (CONT’D)
Nobody was able to keep us from getting to them, this one won’t be any different. You have to remember Oliver
OLIVER
If you say there’s more than one way to skin a cat I promise you I will puke and I’ll do it all over your vintage porn magazines.
MASTER HUNTER
You have to remember Oliver, good always triumphs over evil.
OLIVER
Yeah well how are you planning on finding them?
MASTER HUNTER
Well we could always just hang out and wait for them to screw up with would work just as well but I know how you detest waiting. A gift
His printer is printing something out, he pulls out the 1 page document.
MASTER HUNTER (CONT’D)
Something you’ve always wanted.
OLIVER
A doggy sized tank with twin side mounted vicker machine guns?
MASTER HUNTER
No. This might surprise you to know but on August 5th of this year, only 10 boys living in Vauxhall turned six. This my fuzzy friend is a list of the names, addresses, telephone numbers, schools attended and class schedules of all 10 boys.
OLIVER
Did christmas come early this year? Boss you really shouldn’t have. I’ll get right on it.
MASTER HUNTER
Just be careful, its dangerous enough hunting matches, but if we killed the wrong kid or drew too much attention before we went in for the kill, we could end up the ones being hunted by every supernatural creature and fallen hunter in London.
OLIVER
So what are you planning to do while I check out these leads?
MASTER HUNTER
Oh, I plan to do some digging of my own, start going through the obituaries and see if I can put a name to the face.
The Master Hunter puts down a surveillance camera photo of Talia escaping from the park. Everything is blurry in the photo except for a nearly perfect shot of her face.

FADE OUT.
THE END

© 2014 James T Brittain


Author's Note

James T Brittain
So my dream list of actors to play in my tv series
Talia: Karla Crome
Hephaestus: Donald Sutherland
Tony: Joseph Gilgun
Oliver: Bob Hoskins
Sai: Dev Patel
Lizze: Lacey Turner (though she'd have to go blond)
Queen Isis: Judi Dench
Artemis: Antonia Thomas
Master Hunter: Stephen Graham

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

578 Views
Added on June 5, 2014
Last Updated on June 7, 2014
Tags: animal familiars, magic, London, urban fantasy, female lead, diversity

Author

James T Brittain
James T Brittain

WA



About
Raise the child of a military officer (navy brat), I've seen a fair bit of the world, and ever the adventurous type I've had a rather interesting life so far all and all. Until recently writing had a.. more..

Writing