Mortality

Mortality

A Story by Rhia Barton
"

Thoughts when attending a funeral. Experimental?

"
A death always leaves an impression. 
A fingerprint where their presence once was. A footprint where they walked in and out of your life so soon. Whether you were close or far, their memory stays with you. 
It's common, when remembering those who have passed, to reflect upon your own mortality. You may be young, you may be old (you can decide which one you are), but it's not the fact that you could die at any moment that occurs to you. It's not that you can be taken away into the curious black. 
It's the thought of what you can leave behind for your loved ones. That may be money, land or gifts, but always, you will leave behind love. You will be cherished, you will be remembered and you will be loved. In the end, it doesn't matter how long you live or how soon you die. What matters is how you are remembered by everyone you care about, because it's up to you how you love people. 
You can die tomorrow, next week, next year or in the next decade, but the only thing worth living for is your own little portion of humanity.

© 2015 Rhia Barton


Author's Note

Rhia Barton
I'm not completely sure if this counts as experimental fiction or not, but who knows? This was something I wrote when I attended my second funeral of the year.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

People fear their own mortality more and more each day, each year. "Both life and death are gifts... not punishments." - Dr. John Townsend. Death is nothing to be afraid of. Society has played on our fears and turned death into this taboo "thing." Your piece on mortality was very well written and personally. I like it. Kuddos.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review and the interesting quote :)
Noah E. Furtah III

9 Years Ago

You're welcome.



Reviews

In the morning I read an article whose title was "Powerful advice from a dying man" and here I am reading this. There are many similarities in this writing and above mentioned writing.
Your message is very thought provoking as it brings us closer to death, it helps us to understand that death doesn't means 5 years, 10 years or 100 years, it is about time which can be next second. It is need of hour to understand that we should live our lives for the betterment of others, which in result brings peace to our lives.
"A man once asked his mentor that he wanted to be mortal, his mentor said it's simple, just help others."
Using word Curious black is very interesting, it adds a lot of beauty to your writing.
I am happy to read this writing as I have learned a lot of good things from these few lines. Please keep writing and stay blessed.

Posted 7 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
-
There is a lot of soul in this writing. There is so much feeling and I just read your note and now, I know why so much passion. It is hard accepting death but it does come in one way, shape or form as you elegantly put it. Love the knowledge your dropping in that is how we will be remember. Very powerful piece. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Beautiful.

They say that the smallest pebbles can break an entire window.
Death is somewhat taboo. It's always waiting, you know it is. But somehow dwelling in it is wrong,
Legacy is perhaps the light in the end of the tunnel. Knowing that you left something behind.

Thank you very much for the poem Rhia.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Very, very nice. I lost my son 4 years ago, and your words resonate in my soul.

Posted 8 Years Ago


The opening line grabs your attention perfectly. A thought provoking piece. I thought back to a funeral when reading. I then read the writers description. 'The curious black' is a fantastic line to describe the void where we all are heading.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

People fear their own mortality more and more each day, each year. "Both life and death are gifts... not punishments." - Dr. John Townsend. Death is nothing to be afraid of. Society has played on our fears and turned death into this taboo "thing." Your piece on mortality was very well written and personally. I like it. Kuddos.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhia Barton

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review and the interesting quote :)
Noah E. Furtah III

9 Years Ago

You're welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

574 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 1, 2015
Last Updated on January 19, 2015
Tags: funeral, death, ramblings, mourning, experimental

Author

Rhia Barton
Rhia Barton

Milton Keynes, Bucks, United Kingdom



About
Horror, fantasy and sarcasm. more..

Writing
PTSD PTSD

A Poem by Rhia Barton



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


SPIDERS SPIDERS

A Story by Stan Lee