Hunt of the Valkyries

Hunt of the Valkyries

A Poem by Don Lund

Hunt of the Valkyrie

 

The sound of the trumpet echoes across the Nine Worlds.

 

She answers the eternal call, to carry out a sacred duty;

it is a quest that cannot fail.

 

This maven haired maiden stands out among her northern sisters,

though she too is a warrior born.

 

A sentient blade awaits in her scabbard, ready to leap to her hand

at a moments notice, no one may interfere. 

 

With grace she bounds toward her patient steed; a pale winged beast ready to avail at her every command.  Her resolute sisters gather with them, none dare break the silence.

 

Time again to honor their ancient oath as stallions’ wings power the grim legion into the sky.  The clouds part beneath them, they move earthward.

 

Black smoke slowly drifts up from the field below. The smell of death fills the air. Her helm reflects a red glow from the rivers of blood.

 

Countless bodies are carelessly strewn, like leaves after a potent storm.  The valiant dead must be delivered to the hallowed halls. 

 

Effortlessly, she pulls one of the fallen warriors up off the ground and gently places his broken body across the saddle.  Her sisters repeat the task.

 

With a nudge her stallion takes flight toward the heavens, Odin awaits the heroes.

 

© 2008 Don Lund


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very strong imagery. I can really picture her in my mind's eye and get a strong emotional sense from the wording.

Thank you for sharing this. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this is a very nice poem. You did a great job writing this. Fantastic work!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ooh this is nicely done. Strong imagery - and faithful to the myth. Very visual. Welcome to the Cafe.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 6, 2008
Last Updated on August 14, 2008

Author

Don Lund
Don Lund

Denver, CO



About
I've been making up stories since I was very young. At first it was to entertain my younger brothers, cousins and friends. Later it was to entertain my sons and now I suppose, I may attempt to enter.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Rising Star Rising Star

A Poem by H. A. M.