not even

not even

A Poem by Lydia Shutter
"

for a friend....it hurts to see you this way

"

angel oil painting by andra ponomarenco






he slices his words with a serrated knife
hoping they will be easier to swallow
     but they are not
she ducks as the barbs fly across the table
landing in the coffee she was about to savor
thoughts curl through her mind
    like cursive letters on an unlined page
carrying her
    weightless
         like a frisbee
till she arabesques into her safe place
    where not even he can hurt her




© 2014 Lydia Shutter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Retreating into a shell...You have brought a whole new meaning to this phrase Lydi! I love the way the poem flows and the tussle progresses, till she finds her safe sanctum. Your poetry conveys emotions softly and perfectly, to be savored slowly. Happy New Year!

Its a treat to read one of your poems each day. Your choice of artwork never fails to draw my breath.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

What a sweet thing to say, Divya. Thank you so much. I try to find artwork that complements my tho.. read more



Reviews

Touching the write, sometimes the pain can leave us numb and it is this numbness that protects us from the worlds cruel ways and judgmental glares. Safe and secure in her own prison of hurt no matter how many rocks spill out of his mouth to break her glass house. Great poem Ms Lydia Shutter

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

I appreciate your review very much, Keegan. Thank you. Lydi**
What a very sad poem, Lydi, but exquisitely written by a fabulous poet. I feel for the speaker and hope she finds a "safer place" she can run to where those "barbs" can't reach her anymore.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

We can not control the lives of friends, but we can stand by and be supportive....that is all we can.. read more
The old saying, "Sticks and bones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is just that - an old saying that seems silly to me because words do hurt when they are used like a weapon. Verbal abuse is cruel and just as threatening and damaging as other forms of abuse as the scars are not always seen but simmer inside, destroying self confidence, and often a will to survive!
It is so uncaring for another to hurt as this, and inexcusable!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

Thank you for such an emotional review, Sheila. Happy Thanksgiving, my friend. Lydi**
Words can both smile the spirit or - poison it. Some people use their words as weapons, knowing they can twist meanings in the guts and leave such raw scars. And for those people, the result strokes their spite and power.. it's what gives them pleasure. Your two last lines are so painful to read and absorb into understanding, but, also beautifully explains the need for escape.. into wherever..

What a fine writer you are.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

Emma, I appreciate your review so much. I will walk a little taller today because of your words! L.. read more
Words can be so hurtful and harmful, cutting to the quick like a dagger to the heart..a poignant piece..well crafted

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

Thank you. Lydi**
Words sure can be a power of hurt. Can be just as damaging as physical throws. It would pain anyone to see another going through that kind of abuse you could say. Hearts get broken even more while weakening any strength that person has from all that one has to bare each time it happens. At the same time hiding away further as to not let others see what going on and it's doing to them. Greatly put and told and hope it also saves more in this kind of situation.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Rose. I appreciate your review. Lydi**
This one was painful Lydi. It was wonderully crafted but hurt so much to read because there is so much truth in it. One question though, did you have to ruin the coffee?

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

Smiling here...thanks, Will. I always appreciate your reviews. Lydi**
A lover's snips can clip your wings... where you
cannot fly and are left to walk in tears of
sadness and regret. Emotions rest in
nooks of warm sunlight and the touch of
butterfly wings. truly... Pat

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Pat. Lydi**
people sometimes forget the power that words have.. they can cut deep.. they cause us to have those doubts.. those negative thoughts.. they linger.. they corrupt.. those barbs wedged deep in our psyche and heart.. ever painful reminders of those heated moments and careless spewing.. and when you truly love someone makes it all the more damaging... emotional abuse can and will take its toll on others.. some of us hide away behind our walls in the sanctuary of nothing else matters, which can be lonely, but necessary for sanity's sake and emotional recovery.. this one while still cleverly carried out, is highly affecting and emotional.. can feel the hurt and concern in every line... ((hugs)) to you.. while it hurts to be in that situation, it is equally hurtful to feel helpless and watch someone you love go through it..

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

Thank you, April! Lydi**
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

you're more than welcome, it IS always a pleasure.
This does show and I never had any doubt your humanity, your love and care for others and what they are going through especially abuse. An excellent poem to also raise awareness to what happens even to the best families...:)................

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Sami. Lydi**
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome muchly...:)..........................

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

842 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on November 14, 2014
Last Updated on November 14, 2014


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil