of paradox and possibility

of paradox and possibility

A Poem by Lydia Shutter


artwork by jim tsinganos





life is a mélange of paradox and possibility

here i am squeezing logic out of incongruities

all the while editing the final draft of my life

but i just have to smile

at the silence of the sounds

            and the noise within the quiet

it’s all there for my entertainment pleasure

so i will dance to mortality’s tune

and walk beyond the perimeter of happiness

all the while rolling cigarettes out of dreams

                                    ones i may never smoke

but, hey tomorrow is a possibility…

and tonight that’s enough for me

© 2015 Lydia Shutter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The entire essence of the life of a thinking and feeling human being is encapsulated in these few choice and eloquent lines. The way we try to justify everything at the end, knowing there were imperfections. The trick is to smile at those imperfections, as you so beautifully pointed out here. The other part I loved is the one about rolling cigarettes out of dreams, that we may never smoke. Having dreams is what matters. I just loved your view on life here, worded so simply and beautifully. Its a pleasure to read your poetry again.

Posted 8 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Divya, you are a sweetheart. I appreciate your thoughtful review so much. Lydi**



Reviews

I'm so glad I've found you on here.
I love your mind.
I really do.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

That's one of the nicest reviews I have ever received. Thank you so much, Bacchus. Lydi**
Drawn in by your excellently crafted title, I love the way you've presented humankind in all our foibles. I love contradictions, so favorite phrases: "squeezing logic out of incongruities" . . . "noise within the quiet" . . . woe to those who busy themselves trying to iron everything into a congruous tapestry. Your conclusion is a fun & flippant way to embrace acceptance of life's incongruities.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

I so appreciate it when you go back a little bit in my poetry to read one that you missed. Thank yo.. read more
Your taste for writing is quite exquisite Ms Lydia. Vivid words and expression of your thought are well enough to give a good imagination. Good write to say the least

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much, Terrence. Lydi**
A very positive and beautiful view of life and opportunities tomorrow. Well Done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Willard. Lydi**
I like the way you balance paradox (impossibility) with possibility and logic with incongruity. Poetry for me is very often about playing with language and you do this very well. Like DIVYA and Dara, I particularly liked "rolling cigarettes out of dreams", lovely image.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review, Duncan. I appreciate it. Lydi**
such perfect poetry in motion when read, the depth, the imagery amazing. Its like listening to music!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Andrew. Lydi**
I simply love this. It really emphasizes human nature and the thoughts we all have. This is so beautifully rich. Great work, truly.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Clifford. Lydi**
"all the while rolling cigarettes out of dreams, ones i may never smoke" One of many lines of this brilliantly written, thought provoking poem that will stay with me a long time as I approach my golden years.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Thank you once again, Dara. I appreciate your reviews. Lydi**
Sometimes somebody can speak to you, and it's like they speak through you your soul hears them so well, your body is immune. Unbelievable beauty...it is where I want to learn to go as a poet.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Jesserose. Lydi**
I really admire your work. It's inspiring. I'd be extremely pleased if you could take some time to go through my work and guide me. Thank you!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Shefali. I will check out your work shortly. Lydi**

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1092 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on November 29, 2015
Last Updated on November 29, 2015


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..