a bit of prose

a bit of prose

A Story by Lydia Shutter


graphic courtesy of colourbox.com

It’s difficult to argue with the sheer artistry of attraction.  Thing is, it all started with a misspelled word didn’t it? Your green eyes threw sparks at me when I pointed it out to you.  Oh, sure, you could recite passages from more literary works than I had read - - or even wanted to - - dilettante that you were.  You’d long since convinced yourself you were impressive and just assumed others would agree.  Yet there I was - - the girl in the front row of class - - correcting your spelling.  Yea, I had guts and I didn’t even know it.  Back then I thought it was just honesty and, hey, it was the best policy, n’est pas? 

 

What I knew for sure is I hated you - - that is whenever I didn’t want you.  Those muscled arms called out to me.  I admit it, I longed to be the chalk in your hands.  Sure, I worried. I knew all I’d have left after a relationship with you was a few regrets and a paper cut to show for it.  Somehow that didn’t stop me from wearing my shortest denim skirt and my tightest tank top on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Yea, you saw me.  You noticed.  You wanted me too. 

 

It was all so simple then.  Nineteen seventy one and anything seemed possible.  I still smile when I remember that misspelled word though...and wonder if you remember.

 

© 2016 Lydia Shutter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A brilliant ' how it is and never forgotten' piece of writing that lies pon the mind just a little uncomfortably - so clear it is. How one wanted, still does, that one too much, one's guts and heart scream and sleep drives night into frenzy!
You write with such power, emotion, never too much or too little, Lydi. .

(Had to turn to the past to find words i'd not recently reviewed!)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

6 Years Ago

I am an emotional being...no question of that! :) Thanks so much, Emma. Lydi**
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

You're very welcome, Lydi - always have been.



Reviews

I had a major crush on my sixth grade teacher. I remember it well. That's when I started asking my mom if I could wear nylons to school. Lol, I was so impressionable...don't ask! Anyway, I used to clean his erasers after class...he didn't even have to ask me! He was handsome, cordial, and put up with me and my twin cousins - all in the same class.

I wholeheartedly agree with Kara...this is a side of you I've never seen before, but I'd really, really like to see more of! You paid attention to detail, and that always wins me over! Great job, Lydi!


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

I used to write short stories for magazines back in the day. It helped me pay for college. Trust m.. read more
He remembers alright, not the correction, to conceited for that. But the short skirt, tight top, oh yeah, he remembers.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

:) Thank you so much, Paul. Lydi**
I enjoyed this. It reminds me of a journal entry -personal but with a strong voice.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Pueblo. Lydi**
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
1VJ
Aptly reminded of a rendezvous with an old college prof, I'm not so sure about simpler but it seemed easy at the time. It's very relatable and my memory smiled. Love the chalk reference too.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

Glad I could spark a memory for you. Thanks for the review. Lydi**
love this lydi...

"the chalk in your hand"

saying...write my name on the blackboard of your heart!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

:) I should add that line to my words! Thanks so much, Jacob. Lydi**
This is a side of you I hadn't seen yet. I love it. Very well done. Vivid in its description. Brings the reader in. Now, one little thing, there is a strange character in the you'd -- assuming it's a glitch? Unless it has a purpose that eludes my literal mind? I am just dying to know what the word was ...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

I have absolutely no idea what that was....it was not in the original I typed on Microsoft Word....h.. read more
Jibey

7 Years Ago

A charming vignette - capturing those moments when the electricity flows between two people and the .. read more
Goodness me Lydia, never mind the sheer artistry of attraction, this is the sheer artistry of words writ large.

Truly, I just love this, and that line, 'I longed to be the chalk in your hands,' genius!

Beccy.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

Beccy, thank you so much! Lydi**

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

901 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 7, 2016
Last Updated on September 8, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee


Let it Snow Let it Snow

A Poem by MsJewel


Chasing Cars Chasing Cars

A Poem by MsJewel