Dream of a Lion

Dream of a Lion

A Story by Alex Walters
"

This is just a dream that I had last night that I would like to share with everyone.

"

I was runnning through a golden field of corn, running wildly with no intention of turning back. The heat of the sun bore down on me, transforming the landscape in front of me into a blurry haze. My destination unknown to me, I ran with every ounce of strength pounding through my feet, and with each step I took I could feel my heart beat twice as hard. The stray weeds and leaves of the field felt like knives as they whipped at my face as I ran past them, but I did not stop.

It was then that I realized that I was on a mission. Not to do anything at any certain place, but in fact quite the opposite. I was on a mission to get away from it all.

I was on a mission to escape…

Suddenly I heard a cry from far off in the distance, but I did not lessen my pace. I knew who they were, and I knew what they were doing. They were the hunters. And I was the hunted. I heard a second cry, this time even closer, and a river of chills poured down my spine. A third, long, screech confirmed my thoughts of their closing distance as I heard its volume rapidly increase from behind me. Still running, I looked back to see if it was behind me.

And it was…

It had the body structure and hair of a woman, but the resemblance stopped there. It’s skin was a sickly yellow-green, and it was cracked with thousands of years of age. It had no eyes, no mouth, and no ears… Just a long, protruding jaw that was riddled with cracked, aging teeth. It’s grey, weathered rags that it wore as clothes billowed in the wind as it flew through the sky and soared right above my head, sending my hair blowing widly in front of my face. I turned back to look at the wraith try and and attack me from the front, but instead I was surprised to see a completely different scene.

Laying right in front of me in the field was a giant lion. About the size of a large bear, it’s massive shoulders moved up and down with each breath that it took. Something about this lion struck me as odd; it seemed to look like somewhat of a puppet. It’s eyes were large and glasslike, and they moved around not like a normal eye, but instead like a marble marble rolling around inside the container that was it’s head. It’s eyes rolled to lock on to mine, and as soon they met I was instanly calm. At peace. I knew then was about to happen.

It wasn’t until then that I remembered the miserable creature that had been pursuing me. I looked to my right to see the wretch suspended in air and time, unsure of what to do. As if my attention had the power to break it from it’s trance, the thing shook to life as it let our an ear-splitting screech; this time out of fear instead of excitement. It tried to turn around and fly away, but right as it did, the lion let out a thundering roar.

It lept up into the air and came crashing down on the wraith, who let out a startled wail as it collided down onto the ground.

As the lion tore into the creature with its powerful jaws, a new sensation flooded into every fiber or my body. I could feel the lions teeth ripping into what I was just a few seconds ago running away from.

I could feel the pride that swelled up in the giant cat’s heart as it feasted on the miserable demon.

I could feel every muscle, every bone, every thought…

I had become one with the lion…

I was the lion…

© 2009 Alex Walters


Author's Note

Alex Walters
I'm also using this as practice on my storywriting skills, so any critique, whether positive or negative, would be greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very good. Please continure writting,

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
1 Review
Added on July 3, 2009
Last Updated on July 3, 2009

Author

Alex Walters
Alex Walters

Fenton, MI



About
I'm passionate about the arts; Music, Drawing, Photography, Filming and writing are all different fields of art that I like to express myself in. This is my clothing store, for anyone that's intere.. more..

Writing