Talking Heads

Talking Heads

A Story by yuhee
"

Never once I listen to the voices in my head because I kill them instead.

"
"What are you doing to yourself?"

A typical question that had been playing inside my head from the moment I woke up even until the moment I go to sleep. A question that no matter how incoherently I answer, I still find myself looking for another one.

Indeed what am I doing these past years? Waking up for work and lying down still thinking about work. A normal routine I am used of yet I feel something amiss. Way back then when I am always filled with tight schedule cramming all the things I had to finished until dawn, I could still find myself enjoying little things but know I feel so empty and these voices inside of me made everything worst.



"I want to die."

Then just one day I found myself telling this curse words repeatedly like an unending cycle as if comforting myself to whatever that bothering me. It became the first thought I have in the morning and the last one in the night. Even in my dreams I see myself dying yet I can't bring myself to kill myself. But then why should I kill myself when now even I am in fact breathing I feel so dead? Living feels so much like dying that no matter how easy it is to breathe I find it very difficult to do. I do want to die yet at the same time I don't. A contradiction that made my life more miserable than before.

"What are you doing to yourself?" It asked again clearer and louder than those voices and I find myself looking for answer that will satisfy it but couldn't find one. "What are you doing to yourself?" It repeated the same question this time more impatient and I snapped back.

"Why do you care? You are just the voices inside my head!"

And all that was left is silence or what I thought. "Because you are killing yourself." It answered this time in a child voice that I knew too well so I didn't dare to look up because if I did, I knew I will think of living again. "If you die, I'll die too."

In truth I really don't mind, dying I mean. What made me alive today is the fact that I know I'll die. Perhaps not today but someday. This thought had kept me sane though everyday I am choking with insanity and madness of living hell. I'm not afraid of dying. We all die leaving nothing but dust and it is given. So I decided to face her, for the first time and I hated it. She is the personification of what I am in the past. Lively, passionate, cheerful and naive unlike this version of me. So I swallowed the rising bile in my throat as I hug her. "We all die. You even me, we all die." I softly spoke to her like how a mother to her child yet I know this pretense won't last anymore. "We live just to die." Gripping her neck I squeeze it hard until I know it is hard to breathe. Finally I have an answer for her question. This time I don't care whether she would like it or not.



I woke up with the sound of my phone's alarm. 5:15 AM it flashes in big red color. I stood up and for a while I paused looking at the scattered Amitriptyline in my table and the empty glass. Shrugging I went to my bathroom and start my daily routine.

"What are you doing to yourself?"

"Isn't it obvious? I'm killing it."

© 2018 yuhee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on July 8, 2018
Last Updated on July 8, 2018
Tags: mentality, mental health, inside voices, inner voice, depression, anxiety, mental problem

Author

yuhee
yuhee

XII, Philippines



About
Altschmerz. Jouska. Nodus Tollens. ツ A pretty average girl with complexity and madness inside. Expressionism is ❤ I write to express. I like reading Dan Brown's, Mitch Albom's, Lauren .. more..

Writing