Smile Because It Happened

Smile Because It Happened

A Story by Morgan Yai

Tyler was my best friend throughout middle and high school. I needed him, and he needed me. It wasn't always easy being his friend though. Let's just say he had issues. His home life wasn't the best. He got knocked around by his alcoholic father, who didn't even see that he was doing anything wrong. Tyler's mother, well, gosh that's a sad story. I guess that's what you're wanting, right? A sad story to make you cry? Well, this here is a double whammy. In his words, this was the life of his mother: 

"She was a beautiful woman with gorgeous green eyes and light brown, wavy hair. It was awful, what happened to her. Just awful. I don't blame her for hating me. I don't blame her for running away. I just wish she would have stayed a little longer to see how I turned out. 

She was 15. Only 15 when she got pregnant with me. She wasn't a freaking s**t, okay? She was raped. B*****d. How can someone do that to another human being? An innocent beautiful girl! How does that happen? I hate him. Whoever did that to her I hate him so much. You don't understand how much I loathe this man. I'm not going to explain it, though. I don't have the time. Her parents wanted her to get an abortion. They wanted to kill me. She refused. Thankfully, her parents were good enough people to accept that decision and live with it and nine months later, I was born. All went well as far as I know. My mother turned 16 a few days after that. 

Fast forward four years into the future. My mom found a great man who loved her with all his heart and loved me the same way. He was amazing. That is, until she ran away. I was nine. All the money we had was spent trying to find her. For two and a half years we were constantly watching for her and asking people if they had happened to see her or have any idea of where she was. No one claimed to know anything. My dad got so awful in those years. He began to drink. And when I say drink, I mean the heavy stuff. He'd get drunk on vodka almost every day and that's when he got angry. When my father was angry, he was a different man entirely. He would hurt me. Not just physically. No. Though that would have been better than the ideas that he made me believe. It is because of his verbal abuse that I learned my mother was raped. It is because of his harassment that I came to know that my mother hated me, as I had been a constant reminder of what happened to her. It was my fault and she left us, therefore it was my fault that my father began to drink. It was my fault he hit me. It was my fault he told me all of the ugly truths. Heck, I deserved it all. I really did. But just because I deserved it, that didn't make it fun or enjoyable or even tolerable." 

That is what Tyler said about his mother. He sent that to me in a text message on January 18, 2015. We were seniors, coming closer and closer to graduation every day. Tyler anxiously awaited the arrival of his 18th birthday so that he could leave home and get away from his angry father. Tomorrow is his birthday. June 10th. His dear 18th birthday but he isn't here to celebrate it. I still bought the cake. I promised him a big cake. Red velvet, of course. He never did appreciate chocolate all that much. He knew how much I loved it, though, so on my birthday and on Christmas and Valentine’s Day he would always get me one of the cute heart shaped boxes of chocolate.

I'm sorry. I thought this would be easier. I can hardly see the screen. I'll have to proofread this later. Stop crying, Rachel! Stop crying. I’m okay, I swear.

Tyler was my best friend and I was his. Tyler was also the love of my life. And I was his. 

"I'm sorry, Rachel, for any pain I have caused you. Please, I know you'll find someone else and you will be happy with them. Just allow it to happen. Don't close your heart to other men. I love you, and I will always love you, but you must know that I just can't live like this anymore. My father gets worse and worse every day. You don't understand what it's like. You don't get it. I always thought she would come back for me. No. She is dead. Never coming back. There was a letter in the mail. She had left a will. She wanted us to have everything she owned. Yeah, thanks mom. Because material possessions are the answer to everything. 

Rachel, you mean everything to me, and if I hadn't met you, I'm sure I would have done this quite some time ago so thank you. Thank you for saving me. I know it may feel to you like you have failed me, but you haven't. You are amazing. Don't ever forget that. Graduate high school, go to college, meet a nice man, fall in love, get married, settle down and have kids just like you've always dreamed of. Good luck. Good bye for now. Catch you on the flip side." 

A gunshot to the head. That's how he went. There was a hole in the side of his skull. Why? You were so close, Tyler. Why now? 

Tomorrow is his birthday. I will cut two pieces of cake. One for me, and one for him. I will eat mine but leave his. I will then go up to my room and remove the gun from my dresser drawer. I will hold it in my left hand. Tyler was lefthanded. I have to do it just like he did. I'll put it up to my head. The left side. And then, I will pull the trigger. There will be a small clicking sound but no bullet will exit the chamber. I will put the gun down and begin to cry. I will cry because I miss him. I will cry because I feel alone. But more than anything, I will cry out of joy. He made me so happy and I will never forget that. I will never forget Tyler.

© 2019 Morgan Yai


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I read this story 20 days ago... Can't get it out of my head. It's amazing. Idk what to say about it really except thank you for writing it, thank you for sharing it and paying tribute to Tyler.
It's such a wonderful and terrible tale all at the same time. Parts of it cut really close for me too....

Now I've left a review to tell you all this... maybe it'll stop swirling in my head.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a great short story. You've conveyed emotion very well in a short space. Very haunting!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Morgan Yai

5 Years Ago

Thank you!
I got chills reading this. My father was much the same as Tyler's. This is truly beautiful. It cuts through on a deeply personal level. This has so many elements to it, I don't even know what to say about each one. I'm just at a loss for words here. Bravo, wonderfully done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I read this story 20 days ago... Can't get it out of my head. It's amazing. Idk what to say about it really except thank you for writing it, thank you for sharing it and paying tribute to Tyler.
It's such a wonderful and terrible tale all at the same time. Parts of it cut really close for me too....

Now I've left a review to tell you all this... maybe it'll stop swirling in my head.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A touching read. I like your clear, succinct style of writing. You have managed to build characters well in such a short piece. Thumbs up!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Morgan Yai

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :)
Thatstory made me cry, which is to say that you wrote it well. One of the best things I thought you brought out is that everyone has their 'story'- gthe reason they are as they are. You could've had Tyler's dad (stepdad) just as an abusive, evil drunk but you showed the complexities of his character and managed to even generate a bit of sympathy for him. I like the ritual at the end- her way of trying to make sense of something that she cannot fully comprehend. It was an excellent and very miving piece of writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Morgan Yai

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the positive feedback! That put a smile on my face and I truly do appreciate i.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

414 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2015
Last Updated on March 3, 2019
Tags: Sad, hopeful, cry