Corsets and Spotlights

Corsets and Spotlights

A Chapter by Mackenzie Brooke

“Ugh……” I moaned as Joy tightened the corset that was hugging my body.

 

“Sorry Alex …but ….just …one …more…push.” Joy said tugging on the corset strings. After a few more moments of torture Joy laced up the corset and I was suffocated into being two dress sizes thinner. Joy forced me into a chair where she gave my thin red hair bouncy curls, applied thick layers of eye shadow over my green eyes, and blush to add color to my pale skin. I put a looser red corset over the black one, with a short black skirt, fish net stockings, black high heels, and topped it off with a black top hat with glittery fabric tied along the bottom.

 

“Hey Joy did they finish setting up yet?” I asked

 

“Yeah they just finished the show is gonna start in 30 minutes.”

 

I let out a deep breath trying to calm myself down. I walked over to the large mirror and studied my appearance in the reflection. This is the first I have ever really dressed up for a show.  Whenever I did small side tricks for the audience I would just wear a blue cloak over my normal clothes.

 

Joy came out of her dressing room she was wearing her usual tight red dress, with stocking and high heels. Joy’s talent of making people not only happy but making them lust over her on command made her the lovely assistant that the women hated and the men loved. Her soft raven hair was pulled tight behind her head, and her gentle tan skin was covered by body glitter.

 

“You look gorgeous.” I said starring at her.

“Thanks Alex, you look absolutely magnificent tonight”

 

I tilted my head down to hide my blush.

 

“ You got to do amazing tonight Lucifer even put you on the posters as the head liner and Sapphire is all the way at the bottom.” Joy said and opened a rolled up copy of the show poster. Surely enough right under Lucifer’s photo there I was with my stage name The Astonishing Alexandra Mistress of Magic written boldly in fancy lettering above me. In the bottom left corner was Sapphire with her stage name Lady Elastic written above her photo. In Sapphire’s picture was wearing her  tight, baby blue acrobat suit that showed of every curve in her seemingly perfect body. Her blonde hair was flowing, her pouty lips puckering, and her large breast sticking out enough to make smaller children crave milk.

 

“Hey ladies” I heard someone say, I turned around and there was Ash.

 

“Hey Ash” I said, so over joyed to see him I hugged him without realizing, then I let go when I realized he was wearing his fire juggler costume….. that included no shirt.

 

“Okay …. well I’ll leave the two of you alone” Joy said then left my dressing room but not before giving me a look.

 

I looked down trying not to look to make eye contact with Ash, I never can when I see him like this. I looked up quickly and for the first time Instead of being bold, confident, goofy Ash he couldn’t look me in the eye either. His black hair nearly covering his ocean like blue eyes and his exposed muscular chest made me week in the knees.

 

“You going to kill it tonight” Ash said and lightly held my cheek.

 

“Thanks” I said giving him a smile and he gave me one back. He left my dressing room, I grabbed my “magic wand” and left the room as well.

I made my way through back stage and poked my head out main curtains and saw the audience taking seats, eating popcorn, and being entertained by clowns. I slowly slid my head out from the opening in the curtain and turned around, but behind me was Lucifer standing boldly over me smiling.

 

“My, my what have we here” Lucifer said bringing his face closer.

 

“…..hello sir…” I said nervously.

 

“ I must say Alexandra you look quite ravishing tonight”

 

“Thank you”

 

He chuckled again and his perfectly white teeth were exposed. His shiny blonde hair was brushed back and his dark green snake like gleamed in the light. My heart raced as he brought his beautifully sculpted, nearly perfect face close to mine. He placed his large hand on my neck and rubbed his thumb against the corner of my chin. Lucifer’s hot breathe tickled my skin, but that was nothing compared to the shutter I felt go through my body when his icy lips touched my cheek.  

 

“Good luck tonight my darling, even though you probably will not need it.” Lucifer said then opened the curtain walked, out in front of the crowd, and like the true ring master started the show.

 

Usually I would watch the show in amazement. Everyone takes their talent that before wash shunned by society and displays to entertain the masses. Usually mortals cower at Lucifer’s name but in our world he is a celebrated leader, having not only saved us from a world that despised people like us, but also taught us a way to make them appreciate and enjoy our wonderful gifts.

 

Tonight time sped by so fast that it almost seemed that the right after Lucifer started the show he called out my name. The curtains open for me along with sparks flying and loud music plays. Joy walks by my side as my lovely assistant shining bright as the sun. I stand in the middle of the ring and Joy hands me my “magic wand” I playfully tap the side of my hat with it and lift it in the air. With a flick of my wrist the feathers that have been lined across the floor float in the air. With a wave of my hand the feathers fly across the room dancing in the air. In my mind I simply command the feathers to drop to the floor and they do so. The crowd cheers, I take in their enthusiasm and it gives me the energy to continue.

 

“Thank you thank you, now for my next trick I shall need a volunteer from the audience” I say and with it a flurry of hands shoot up it seems every one wishes to experience the magic. I notice a little girl sitting in the back row with her hand shoot up as high as she could reach. I look to Joy and she goes into the stands and fetches the small girl for me.

 

“Hello sweetheart and what is your name” I said grapping the little girl by the hand.

 

“Lucy” she says quietly.

 

“Okay Lucy this is what you gonna do for me okay? I want you to sit in this chair and hold on tight okay?”

 

Lucy nodded and sat in the chair. I put my top hat on her head and I could tell by her expression that she was excited.

 

Lift, Lift, Lift…..

 

I repeat those words in my head and surely enough Lucy and the chair lift up ten feet above the ground.

 

“Give it up for Lucy ladies and gentlemen.” I say as the crowd claps for the bold little girl and her bravery.

 

“Do you all think I can lift more?” I say I get a mixed response from the crowd some say yes some say no some just yell.

 

“Do you want to see me try?”

 

“YES!!!” they all scream

 

“Alright then, Joy bring her in”

 

On my signal Joy comes riding in on an elephant and the crowd is amazed. I concentrate and quickly both Joy and the elephant are lifted off the ground. The crowd roars, I take a bow and stand before them. Lucifer runs up to me and grabs my arm.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen The Astonishing Alexandra Mistress of Magic!” Lucifer says as he lifts up my hand.

 

I get a standing ovation from the audience, for the first time ever tonight I am a star.

  

 

 

 

 



© 2012 Mackenzie Brooke


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sapphire's gonna be a problem, isn't she? Lol. You should probably include the part where she puts Lucy back on the ground.
Another good entry. Your pacing is very diligent for the size of these chapters, but I felt that the performance went a bit too quickly, even though that's how Alex described it. I can tell that each of these chapters have room for expansion, and that what we're reading right now is just the surface of what this story can really become.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well done. Interesting story, I would be happy to read more should you ever continue it. Only suggestion I can make really is to include a few more periods or commas in these chapters to refine the pacing a little bit to include slight pauses at the right times.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I enjoyed it and I want to hear more. Will there be more? I hope so because I'm curious about Alex's past and where the dream came from. I also agree with Koda's post when he said that he thinks that Lucifer is up to something. Something about that guy just isn't quite write and I want to know what it is. Those kinds of things are what keep a reader interested so you are doing a great job. I loved how the story started to, it sucked me right in.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice! Although, for some reason, I really dont trust Lucifer. I think he's up to something.

My only critisism would be to NEVER put "min" rather than "minutes". You forget this is actual dialouge, and therefore in real life you would say "minutes" and not "min". A careless mistake, and therefore is one that can easily be remedied. Other then that, I enjoyed it! Keep it up!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

461 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 28, 2012
Last Updated on May 28, 2012


Author

Mackenzie Brooke
Mackenzie Brooke

wonderland



About
About Me Hello I'm Mackenzie (not my real name) and writing is my life. I love to write more then anything. I will never stop writing till the day I die. I went through a very dark period o.. more..

Writing