HAVE YOU SEEN MY QUACK Chapter (1)

HAVE YOU SEEN MY QUACK Chapter (1)

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN



It was a warm summer’s day at Apple Tree Farm. The farm animals were lazing in the afternoon sunshine.

Daisy the milk cow was resting under the shade of the big apple tree, gently chewing her cud.  In the meadow the sheep and lambs rested amongst the tall grass and sweet smelling flowers, and in the barn the pigs snuffled about in the straw.

Apple Tree Farm lay in a valley surrounded by lush green fields. A beautiful river ran through the fields at the bottom of the farm. The river was clear and fresh and moved like a silver snake as it wound its way along the valley bottom. Dotted along the banks of the river Weeping Willows bowed their branches and swayed gently in the breeze. In the margins tall Bull Rushes grew in great numbers. Nettles and Cow Parsley waved in the breeze as Butterflies and other insects skipped from flower to flower while bright red and green Dragonflies zipped back and forth across the surface of the water. Soft green river weed waved rhythmically as the water flowed peacefully over it. In a place where the river was shallow a huge patch of Watercress grew, it stretched across the river from bank to bank. In the late spring and early summer the Watercress is covered with tiny white flowers. Sticklebacks, Minnows and freshwater shrimps made their homes in the roots of the watercress while Water boatmen, sat quietly on the surface.

There were larger fishes in the river too, but it was often difficult to see them, as they preferred to hide in the weeds.

Many different animals live along the banks of the river but the ones you are most likely to see on a warm summer afternoon are the farm Ducks who just love to paddle about and dip their heads under water looking for insects and tasty weeds to eat.

Most of the Ducks at Apple Tree Farm were white with bright red cheeks called Muscovy ducks, and belonged to the farmer, but if you looked carefully you might see a few brown ones and even some with bright green heads. Those are the wild ducks called Mallards, and they come to the river every year to swim and make their nests.

This story is about a little Mallard chick and how he found his quack.



 

HAVE YOU SEEN MY QUACK?

 The summer days were long and hot, and down on Apple Tree Farm the animals were growing fat and lazy on the lush green grass. By the side of the Farmhouse was a very tall, and very old, apple tree and that was why it was called Apple Tree Farm.

The tree was full of small green apples all trying to grow and turn red before the winter arrived.

The farmer’s wife was a kindly lady who looked after the hens and ducks that roamed freely around the farm. Every morning the farmers’ wife would take a bucket of food for the Ducks and hens and throw hands full of golden  corn across the farmyard for them to eat.

Now you may know that a bird’s mouth is normally called a Beak, but did you know that a duck’s mouth is called a Bill because it is flat.

The white and brown hens clucked as they bobbed their heads up and down picking at the corn. When the ducks had eaten enough corn they would return to the river at the bottom of the meadow. In the early springtime many of the ducks had made nests and laid their eggs in the rushes along the river margins, and now there were lots and lots of little yellow and brown ducklings scooting about on the river following their mothers and learning all about life on the farm.


Some wild Mallard ducks had also arrived in the springtime to make nests and lay their eggs. They loved the quiet little river and sometimes even came up to the farm with the other ducks to feed on the corn the farmer’s wife scattered each morning.

Mr and Mrs Mallard now had five little yellow and brown speckled ducklings to look after. The ducklings had already learned how to swim but they were still learning how to catch tiny insects that lived under the water.

Behind the farmhouse was a tall hill. The top of the hill was called Hilltop Wood and was covered with trees and bushes.

In the top of the tallest tree of Hill Top wood Mr and Mrs Buzzard lived in a huge nest made of twigs and grass. Now it is most unfortunate to know that Buzzards love to eat little yellow ducklings and so whenever Mrs Mallard saw the Buzzards in the sky she would make a series of very loud Quacks to warn all the other ducks and ducklings to hide. As quickly as they could.

One day Mrs Mallard was showing her little duckling children how to dive under the Watercress to catch tiny water shrimps when she spotted one of the Buzzards high in the sky and coming towards the river.

“Quickly children hide under the Watercress until the Buzzard has passed us by.” She said and then she took a very deep breath and blew very hard. A very loud ‘QUAAAAAAACK QUAAAAACK’ came from her bill and all the other ducks heard it and darted into hiding places until the Buzzard had flown away. When it was safe the all little ducklings popped back up out of their hiding places and huddled around their mothers.

One of Mrs Mallards ducklings had a very curious nature and asked his mummy.

“Mummy how did you do that?”

“How did I do what?” His mother replied.

“How did you make that loud quack noise?” asked the duckling.

“I have to take a very deep breath and blow very hard and it comes out.” Said his mother. The little duckling looked at her and then he took a deep breath and blew. A squeaky little ‘peep peep’ was all that came out, so the little duckling took another deep breath and blew even harder. Again all that came out of his tiny bill was ‘peep peep’.

“Why can’t I make a loud quack like you do mummy.” He asked. His mother made a ducky smile and said.

“You’re still small and you haven’t found your quack yet. Now go and play with your brothers and sisters before that old Buzzard comes back.” The little duckling paddled his tiny legs as fast as he could and   scooted across the river to play with the other ducklings.

That evening when all the ducks were tucked up snug and safe in their nests one little duckling was sitting alone looking up at the star filled sky.

“Mummy says I haven’t found my quack so I suppose I’d better start looking for it.” Thought the little duckling. “I wonder where it might be.” 



© 2023 MAD ENGLISHMAN


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Intelligent and entertaining.
Some lines made me smile, suck as 'His mother made a ducky smile.'' That's both adorable and unique. The whole story is really not what I expected.

The poor chick is off to a goose chase because his mother was having a laugh at his expense!
Oh well! Most adventures begin like that. Hopefully this one will end well, with a Quack in hand.

Posted 7 Years Ago


MAD ENGLISHMAN

7 Years Ago

I love your phrase 'Goose chase' Can I use that? I've almost finished the story but have 2 endings.
LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Sure, go for it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

688 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 6, 2016
Last Updated on January 8, 2023
Tags: ducks, water, river, stream, animals, farm, tree, apple


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing