Chapter (2) THE SHOT

Chapter (2) THE SHOT

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN


THE SHOT

 

High up on the Norwegian hillside the trees sheltered them from most of the arctic winds but still the cold was almost unbearable. The two men had lain here from dawn 'till dusk for the last three days and still their target had not shown himself. The mornings light snowfall had stopped at last and the sky was beginning to show a little blue through the breaking clouds. ‘Gunny’ was all but invisible in his white camouflage suit and tufts of dried grass as he lay on the little ridge. Lying in the snow by his side, was his spotter, Davey. This contract was proving to be more difficult than either of the men had imagined. Maybe the information they’d been given had been wrong. Maybe the target wouldn’t show. Waiting was the hardest part of the job. Gunny was thinking about the contract in Borneo last year. It had been so hot there, all he could think about was a cold shower and a glass of ice. Now, here he was, with all the ice he’d ever need and he wished he were back in the jungle. The Arctic cold infiltrated the layers of clothing the men wore beneath their camouflage suits.

That evening, they once again made their back to the small cabin down in the valley. This old wooden hut, used by hunters and ski enthusiasts, was their refuge against the arctic night. It never really got dark at this time of the year in Norway, but as the sun dropped towards the horizon the cold rolled across the tundra. Once safely inside the cabin, it didn’t take them long to get a good log fire burning in the stove. The men stood facing each other over the stove with hands held out towards the flames, they said nothing as they let the warmth flow slowly back into their limbs. They’d had the sense to bring enough food for at least a week just in case they encountered a blizzard and couldn’t get back. With the wind howling outside, and a pot of stew bubbling on the stove, the two friends played cards and drank whiskey as they waited to eat. Getting enough calories in this climate was as important as staying warm.

“It was bloody cold today.” Said Davey as he dropped a card on to the pile.

“I’m beginning to think this is one contract we won’t fulfil Davey.” Gunny picked up a card and slipped in to his hand.

“Gin.” Davey threw his cards down.

“I reckon the stew should be done now Gunny.” With that Davey stood up and moved across to the stove. Taking a wooden spoon from the small table he lifted the lid on the pot and stirred the bubbling mix of meat and dried vegetables.

“Smells good.” Said Gunny as he packed the cards back into their little box.

“You know, this Reindeer meat ain’t half bad if you cook it long enough.” Said Davey as he continued to stir the pot. Lifting a little of the liquid on the spoon, he blew on it to cool it down before putting it to his lips and carefully sipping the amber fluid into his mouth.

“A little salt and pepper and it’ll be ready.” Gunny got up and moved over to the table. He took two metal plates from the side of the sink and held them out. Using the small ladle Davey poured a good measure of stew on to each plate. The two men sat down at the table.

“We’ll give it one more day, Davey. If he hasn’t shown by then we’ll call it off.”

Davey was concerned about the consequences of a failed contract.

“It’ll be the first time we failed on a contract. What will the boss say?” He said.

The two friends ate with gusto and were soon enjoying a mug of steaming coffee. Davey put 2 more logs into the stove and closed the flu.

“Hope it stays lit tonight. It was damn cold in here this morning.”

“Yeah, I’m keeping all my clothes on tonight just in case.” Said Gunny.

“We’re gonna need a bloody good wash when we get back to civilisation. I stink.” Said Davey lifting his arm and taking a sniff at his armpit.

“Yeah, me too. See what tomorrow brings. If the target doesn’t show we’ll head back down to the village. Come on mate, get into that sleeping bag and get your head down.” Davey removed his outer coat and climbed into his survival sleeping bag. While the cabin had been built to save lives the furnishings were sparse. A wood burning stove in the centre of the space, a small wooden table, a couple of wooden chairs and two sets of wooden bunks without mattresses, with just enough room to sleep four people in relative comfort.

Up here, on the tundra, bedtime came early, and so did the morning.

Davey stirred in his bag. Freeing his arms, he pushed them out into the cold air of the cabin. Yawning, Davey rubbed his eyes and took a deep breath. He stretched his arms high above his head to relax his muscles.

“Gunny, GUNNY.” Called Davey. A strained morning voice replied to him.

“Yeah, I’m awake Davey. God that went quick mate.” He took a deep breath and coughed as the cold air entered his lungs. “Jeeezzzz. I bet that bloody stove went out again in the night.” As he said it Gunny pulled the sleeping bag tight around his neck and turned on his side.

When Gunny finally emerged from his sack, Davey had already lit the stove and was pouring boiling water into a metal jug. The aroma of instant coffee and wood smoke filled the cabin.

“Morning mate. How you feeling?” Said Davey as Gunny plonked himself down on one of the wooden chairs.

“Next time remind me to bring a mattress.” Davey laughed as he poured Gunny a mug-full of hot sweet coffee and passed it to him. Taking the steaming mug between his cupped hands Gunny placed it against his lips careful not to burn himself.

“Cheers mate.” He said. Davey took his mug and joined his friend at the table.

“I’ve got a couple of flasks of boiling water and I reckon that rice stuff should see us through for lunch. What do you reckon?” Gunny took another sip of coffee and looked at Davey through the swirls of steam rising from his mug.

“Yeah, sounds good to me mate. What you thinking for breakfast?” Davey had a quick look around.

“We got some stew left from last night.” Gunny shook his head. “It’s got to be porridge then, plenty of sugar to keep us warm.” Davey got up and took two packs of instant porridge from a rucksack.

Once more concealed on the ridge, Davey used his spotter scope to search the edge of the scrub some one thousand metres across the valley. Gunny lay motionless except for slowly making, and unmaking a fist with his gloved right hand, to keep the blood flowing through his fingers. They were just beginning to give up hope of the target arriving when Davey put his left hand on Gunny’s arm.

“Gunny....Gunny.” Davey’s voice was low and hushed. “Gunny I think he's here.”

“Where?” said Gunny.

“At your one o’clock, you got him?” Gunny moved with slow precision. After a few seconds he said.

“Yeah. He’s not giving me much of a target.” Davey took a breath and quietly gave Gunny the distance.

“Twelve hundred, almost level. The air is clear.” Gunny removed the glove from his right hand and placed his forefinger on the trigger.

“Ready?” asked Davey. Gunny grunted.

“It’ll be a head shot, not easy.” Said Davey. Gunny took a couple of deep breaths and then breathed out long and slow.

“Clear to take the shot Gunny. Take the shot.” The cold forefinger pressed the trigger.

“Got him.” Said Gunny as he sat up and allowed himself a smile of satisfaction. Davey sat up and high fived Gunny.

“Nice one mate.”

 

A tall girl ,in green slacks, knocked on the dark brown door of the editor’s office.

“COME.” Said a deep gruff voice. The girl entered and passed a large brown Manila envelope to the man behind the desk.

“Is that it?” said the gruff voiced Editor. Smiling the girl said.

“Yes sir. Straight from the lab.” The girl dropped the envelope on the desk, turned and left. The Editor picked it up, opened it, and tipped out a large photograph. Standing up he placed both hands flat onto the desktop. Glancing down he straightened the photograph in front of him.

“Amazing. I don’t know how he gets these pictures. He’s worth every penny.”

Staring back at him, from the photograph, was the beautifully detailed head of the Arctic Hare.

 



© 2017 MAD ENGLISHMAN


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well played. Suspense with a end twist.

Posted 6 Years Ago


MAD ENGLISHMAN

6 Years Ago

Thank you my friend. I enjoy writing stories that mislead.
Ah, a tale that handily misleads the over zealous reader who thinks he knows what is going on and what is about to transpire ... Nicely done and uniquely original ... Glad I happened by to my own reading profit ...

Posted 7 Years Ago


MAD ENGLISHMAN

7 Years Ago

Hi Marvin. Thanks for passing and reading my little story. Glad you enjoyed it.
I like this story . I love the twist at the end. Good job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


MAD ENGLISHMAN

7 Years Ago

Thank you John. Glad you liked it.
I adore the surprise ending! Love it!

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

677 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 21, 2017
Last Updated on May 18, 2017
Tags: snow, winter, hunters, camouflage, shooting


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..