Dear Diary

Dear Diary

A Story by InsanityWriter
"

Written words...

"

She was jogging home from her aerobics dance class. She was tired, but blissfully so. It had been a decent day.

Down Winzelberg considered herself normal. Or at least as normal as normal can be. She wasn't unusually beautiful, and she wasn't unusually ugly. She was simply an average young woman at the age of 23 who liked to wear makeup she thought made her prettier. She had only recently graduated college, and was living with her best friend as roommates. She worked a desk job for a company and had aerobic dance classes every other Saturday to help her stay in shape and have some semblance of a social life.

It was one of those days that had started out bright and sunny, but eventually clouds had crept up to engulf the sun. As the sky darkened slowly, Down jogged a little faster. Thankfully the sidewalk wasn't crowded, because it meant she didn't crash into anyone as she tripped.

"Dang it!" She said, her day had been going so well. She looked for what she'd tripped over, and her eyes came to rest on a small blue book.

She was about to just jog away and murmur to herself about people being stupid and littering, but instead she picked it up, put it in her bag, and brought it home with her. She didn't know why...

It was intriguing for some peculiar reason. She was curious of it, in a way she couldn't tell why.

"I'll take it home with me, then figure out whose it is and return it to them." She said to herself.

"And read it too..." The truthful part of her mind admitted.

It was a peculiar diary, more of a journal actually.  There were detailed notes about occurrences that occurred each day. Some normal, some wonderful, some helpful, some... Horrible. She flipped through the pages, curious. And then she stopped and stared.

4/11/13; 4:46 pm - Car crash on Regals Street, 14 people injured and hospitalized, 4 dead

"This is today's date..." She thought to herself.

She looked up and down out her window onto the street below. Regals Street.  She looked at her watch. 5 seconds until 4:46...

The second she didn't expect it-- it happened.


Screams echoed in the street below. Down looked out in horror, feeling as if she held the murder weapon in her hands. Shaking, she turned the page. Something sinister drew her to the wish to read what came next.

4/11/13; 4:46 pm- Down Winzelberg reads this entry.

Down dropped the book like a burning bolt had pierced her hands. Something... Bad radiated from it. Something awfully terrible. She felt a horror begin to clutch her being. A frantic. Stabbing. Guilty, horror. What was going on??

A page suddenly fluttered over on its own accord. Down screamed.

Another.

Another.

Another.


Rapidly they turned, like a spastic wind was pushing them until it reached its destination.

A blank page.

Down had pressed herself against the wall.

No. No. No. This is weird. What is happening?? Why? What? How??

Listless, nonsensical and fragmenting thoughts.


That was when ink began to seep into letters.

Neat, perfect cursive like on all the other pages...

4/11/13; 4:47 pm- Down Winzelberg,


The said woman screamed again, and not waiting to see what had been written, ran into her bedroom which was nearest. Locking the door. Terrified. Not knowing. Then a strange growling came from behind her. She didn't want to look behind her... Curiosity had given her enough that day... But it was too much.

She turned-- and screamed for the last time.


Max got home.

Max was short for Maxine... But Max was fine thank-you-very-much.

She'd not had the best day at work, but whatever. It was over. She'd decided to suggest a movie night to her roommate, Down Winzelberg (odd name, but nice girl), since neither of them had to work the next day. They could stay up late, get up late. Just like they did before they started living on their own and acting all "responsible".

Max flung her bag onto the floor and grinned, trying to decide a movie. But then she realized the awful silence... And the smell.

A bloody smell.

Oh no... There was that feeling. The feeling like, this isn't happening. Why would it? We're not the 'somebody else' this happens too... So Max walked cautiously and reluctantly further into the apartment, stopping at an out-of-place thing.

A blue book.

Had Down bought it that day? Why was it on the floor? It looked... Handwritten? A journal?

Max bent to pick it up to read it out of sheer temptation, before promptly dropping it and running to Down's room.    


4/11/13; 4:47 pm- Down Winzelberg, beware of the monsters under your bed.


© 2013 InsanityWriter


Author's Note

InsanityWriter
Please leave reviews on my chapter version of this in my book Short Stories. :) Much appreciated. ;) Thanks for reading!! ^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ees
I like the way that the story is opened- jogging home from exercise and blissfully tired. I know that feeling and I like that feeling. Good to start out with something that is relatable and even better that it is relatable in a good way!

I don't like the name Down. It isn't normal, it isn't a name. It doesn't make sense to you. Is it a typo? Dawn would make a lot more sense to me.

This: "She was simply an average young woman at the age of 23 who liked to wear makeup she thought made her prettier." reads a little funny, you may want to break it down and make it simpler.

"It was intriguing for some peculiar reason. She was curious of it, in a way she couldn't tell why." you say too much here, we don;t need the "in a way she couldn't tell why"- it seems like excess to me, that part is kind implied with everything else that you have told us.

There used to be a tv show, I don't remember the name of it, but it was about a guy who got tomorrows newspaper today, or however you want to call it... this reminds me of that. It's a tried topic, but it's a good one. I don't think it's overdone and I enjoyed reading your take on it.

You rush the interaction with Max, slow down, right it out. I'd like to hear them talk. Let Max talk about her day the way one would to a roommate.

Creepy ending. I can imagine this going further and the characters going further too. Nice work. I love this type of concept.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

Names don't define people. :) Thanks again!!
Ees

10 Years Ago

Names do define people- particularly when in literature. That I am sure of, of course if you like Do.. read more
InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

I actually didn't get any images... I'm probably just weird though. XD I really do appreciate your h.. read more



Reviews

I think this is my favorite. I love Stephen King and horror stories, and this made me think of him. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

9 Years Ago

Thanks. :) I love the horror genre as well.
intriguing,thrilling and shockinlgy breathtaking which just made me sit right at the edge of my seat to read what's next. amazingly stunning write!
marvellous job!1

Posted 10 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading. :) I truly appreciate you taking the time to read and review my work!! (:
This has a kind of horror/Steven King kind of feeling, written well, and the short lines increase the tension to the end - you do well here !

Posted 10 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for your kind review!! ^_^
That sounds like a book Tom Riddle would like to have possession of... sorry, Harry Potter reference on your comments. Anyways, the book was interesting, and now I'm curious, was the book the cause of death or did the book simply report the cause of death?

Posted 10 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

The book tried to warn her, but accidentally caused her death. Thanks for reading!! I'm glad you enj.. read more
RachelReaper

10 Years Ago

:)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ees
I like the way that the story is opened- jogging home from exercise and blissfully tired. I know that feeling and I like that feeling. Good to start out with something that is relatable and even better that it is relatable in a good way!

I don't like the name Down. It isn't normal, it isn't a name. It doesn't make sense to you. Is it a typo? Dawn would make a lot more sense to me.

This: "She was simply an average young woman at the age of 23 who liked to wear makeup she thought made her prettier." reads a little funny, you may want to break it down and make it simpler.

"It was intriguing for some peculiar reason. She was curious of it, in a way she couldn't tell why." you say too much here, we don;t need the "in a way she couldn't tell why"- it seems like excess to me, that part is kind implied with everything else that you have told us.

There used to be a tv show, I don't remember the name of it, but it was about a guy who got tomorrows newspaper today, or however you want to call it... this reminds me of that. It's a tried topic, but it's a good one. I don't think it's overdone and I enjoyed reading your take on it.

You rush the interaction with Max, slow down, right it out. I'd like to hear them talk. Let Max talk about her day the way one would to a roommate.

Creepy ending. I can imagine this going further and the characters going further too. Nice work. I love this type of concept.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

Names don't define people. :) Thanks again!!
Ees

10 Years Ago

Names do define people- particularly when in literature. That I am sure of, of course if you like Do.. read more
InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

I actually didn't get any images... I'm probably just weird though. XD I really do appreciate your h.. read more
WOW I LOVE IT! This is amazing and it is so just wow amazing write. This is the best piece i have read all day and i have been reading a lot of peoples work today. I just love it. On question did she die you never really said that but it was kind of implied so i just wanted to make sure about that. Great job and keep up the good work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading, and to answer your question, yes she did. I left it a little open ended though f.. read more
Very scary. Nicely done. I like her name. It foreshadows her fate.

Posted 10 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

Thanks. :) I'm happy you enjoyed it! (:
captivating, creepy, creative :) well done dear

Posted 10 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

Thank you. ^_^
Lina Grey

10 Years Ago

:)
I must admit this was...AWESOME. Captivating for sure, had me on the edge of my seat and it was so messed up! And I thought mine was creepy lol. Creative and flowed great, good job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


InsanityWriter

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!! I'm glad you liked it. :)
I loved reading this piece, especially the end. "Down Winzelberg, beware of the monsters under your bed". This whole piece captivated me. very creative, fantastic job!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

320 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2013
Last Updated on April 15, 2013

Author

InsanityWriter
InsanityWriter

I'm amongst my people. Praise!



About
****Please review some of my works if you're going to send me a friend request, I will return the favor. Thanks!! :) I write mostly poetry, but I do have a book of short stories (it's literally cal.. more..

Writing
Chasm Chasm

A Poem by InsanityWriter