Heart of Broken Glass

Heart of Broken Glass

A Story by Malcolm Reynolds
"

A letter from the short story "The Abandoned Child" asking for forgiveness, confessing sins and the realisation of a great failure.

"
To Nate,


I'm not really sure how to do this. I'm your father, Jack. I know you don't know me & that's my fault, I wish I had made more of an effort to be with you, to watch you grow. I'm sorry for failing you, I should have protected you & helped you grow into a strong man.


I love you so much & I miss you so much, it eats away at me & the pain is unbearable. I can't stop thinking about how I've fucked up in the past, I'm a complete failure and I failed in my duty as a father and husband.


Had you been in my place, would you have made the same mistakes as me? I smoke all the time, my lungs are probably all black. I drink every day, my liver and lung must be rotten. I've done bad things, hurt people, people that loved & cared about me. I'm alone cause I didn't know how to be normal, I've pushed others away and never found anyone else to lead me in the right direction. My life is empty, heart's shattered, I thought being strong means being able to beat others but it's not.


The reason I'm writing to you is, I don't want you to end up like me. I finally know what fear is, to see you become me or feel what I feel. Whatever you've done in life it ain't as bad as me &  you still have time to make things right. I only hope you're stronger than me, that you're loyal & sensible. Nate, don't waste the life you have fighting, respect the will of others whilst believing in your own.


I feel like s**t, I should have been there for you, I need you to know I didn't want to abandon you, I swear to you I wish I could go back in time. I can't help but wonder, do you hate me or would you know I love you? I know this ain't fair on you, I'm so sorry my boy, please all I want is forgiveness. I know when I die I'm going straight to hell, I can't redeem my soul, I just need you to know I love you & I'm sorry.


Don't you grow up to be like me, learn from my mistakes, be better than me, have a family, be a good father & husband. Never give up on your dreams, always believe you'll succeed. I promise I'll come back to you and I will do right by you from now on. I'll protect you and look after you, I'll never leave your side again.


Love you so much my son,
                                    Dad

© 2015 Malcolm Reynolds


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very raw and authentic. I like what you say about the father now understanding fear for the first time. Right on the mark.

Well done. Could you review me.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

If only we could turn back time...IF ONLY.
Both pieces were amazing...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Malcolm Reynolds

8 Years Ago

Thanks, these pieces are something I'd be looking to explore in greater depth in the future.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 14, 2015
Last Updated on December 24, 2015
Tags: letter, dark, sad, father, son, love, hate, death, family, pain, story, forgiveness, regret, redemption

Author

Malcolm Reynolds
Malcolm Reynolds

Leicester, Leicester, United Kingdom



Writing