What do you see?

What do you see?

A Story by Samaira
"

“What we see depends mainly on what we look for” – John Lubbock

"

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE?

 

“What we see depends mainly on what we look for” " John Lubbock.

 

Pale white in the never-ending velvety darkness, the moon shines bright with an angelic halo surrounding it. All eyes turn on her once she enters the sky. Her presence demands to be felt. For a moment, she will let you forget the burden of regret, remorse and reality you are carrying around. She will tease you. Show parts of herself in phases. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Phases beginning from absolutely nothing at all to something so radiant that she just can’t be ignored. Look at her. No, really look at her. What do you see?

 

Be careful. Don’t forget to breathe.

 

She won’t tell you how many hits she has taken over all these years. The craters will. And you may call her ugly for it, but I call her beautiful. Somehow the scars make her more than just a pretty face.

 

To the men working their nine to nine jobs in offices, she doesn’t really exist. To the scientists and astronauts, she is just another inanimate object spinning around the earth controlling the tides of the sea.

 

But they don’t understand.

 

She is so much more.

 

She is a symbol of hope for the man who just failed to reach a conclusion after working on his research for years. She reminds the little girl who has just been tucked in by her father of the bedtime stories her mother told her. She consoles the lonely girl on the terrace and convinces her that she isn’t alone. She bridges the distance between lovers separated by a hundred miles. For the old man sitting on the pavement she is a hateful creature because all he sees in her is the colour of the shroud he placed on his dead wife’s body.

 

She is a lesson for the vain, teaching them that they will fall once they reach the peak and it will be okay because they will rise again. She calms down the psychotic patient in the mental health facility because he sees a ship with Peter Pan and Tinker Bell on it floating over her. The musician playing his violin by the window in his room on the third floor loves the steady rhythm of the moon. The eclipse reassures the teenage girl crying her heart out, thinking her life is the worst it could ever be, that this too shall pass.

 

Hope. Veneration. Faith. Beauty. Rebirth. Death. Memories.

 

Everyone sees what they want to see.

 

At the end of the day, it is just the moon.

 

So look at her. What do you see?

 

Be careful. Don’t forget to breathe.

© 2015 Samaira


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'Everyone sees what they want to see.' .. .. 'Pale white in the never-ending velvety darkness, the moon shines bright with an angelic halo surrounding it. All eyes turn on her once she enters the sky. Her presence demands to be felt.'

Your writing really is quite beautiful. Start to finish, your words hold immense hope and peace. Tis like being given the most glorious finely wrapped gift, then removing the wrapping layer by layer, minute by minute, knowing that's what's inside will be kept forever. The moon is the magic all Mankind craves for.. tis precious.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samaira

8 Years Ago

Thank You. I do agree.



Reviews

Moon-glow you know, moon-beams, Moon River, Allegheny Moon...The moon of note is a staple for lovers and will ever be, generation after generation. It is a bridge that makes generational gaps that much smaller and it has no equal. People have been known to speak to the moon. The answers? Who knows?

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samaira

8 Years Ago

What do you see when you look at it?
Perkele.7885

8 Years Ago

Depending on the time of year, I either see more or less of an illuminated orb in the sky. Not being.. read more
Samaira

8 Years Ago

Yes. We do.
Read this word to word. . Obviously loved the deepness of thoughts revealed through ur writing Mannat. I usually spend time watching the night sky. Well, according to my view, I don't just admire the uniqueness of moon.. it's not just the moon I see. I feel the continuous movement of each and every thing in our Solar System. Each day I see the white beauty in the dark sky, I wonder how different is the world from what we see and what is it actually.. we see changing shapes of moon every other day. But is it really changing it's shapes? Of course not! I feel the miracles happening everywhere around in the outside world, that most of us are not able to appreciate.
For a moment, the beauty of nature and the outside world takes my breath away.. but yea thank God I don't forget to breathe again!! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samaira

8 Years Ago

This is great. I didn't know you had this side to yourself. Yes, obviously there is so much happenin.. read more
JasKunwar Singh

8 Years Ago

Your welcome 😊 Keep up the good work 👍
I love the moon, and spend hours watching her rise and fall with the coming and passing of night... this is a wonderful look at how many of us see this ancient piece of rock which has such an affect on our waters and us... and you are right: there are times when we have to remind ourselves to breathe...thanks for sharing this beautiful write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samaira

8 Years Ago

The moon does take my breath away.
Thank you reading and reviewing.
....................

8 Years Ago

You are welcome, Mannat.
❤❤ absolutely stunning ❤❤❤

Posted 8 Years Ago


Samaira

8 Years Ago

Thanks Naman!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2111 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 15, 2015
Last Updated on July 15, 2015

Author

Samaira
Samaira

Chandigarh, India



About
Hope. more..

Writing
Here is okay Here is okay

A Story by Samaira


The Epiphany The Epiphany

A Story by Samaira



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..