The Beast with Two Heads

The Beast with Two Heads

A Story by Just Manoosh
"

Written for Celtic Cats Inspiration Think Tank and the competition �First Christmas Memory� ....... and for my Granddad. Mx

"

The Beast with Two Heads

 

Repress your giggles please; there is nothing rude in this story.

 

I could not tell you whether my childhood was atypical or typical; all I know is that it was a very happy one.  You see, I have a very large and very close family and although not cash-rich, my Christmases were the envy of all my friends.  The first Christmas I remember is the one with the magical present.

 

I am a twin, an identical twin to be specific, and lord only knows that whatever you buy for one you must buy for the other.  Either that or you are given a present to share, which to be honest, was usually the way.  I am also one of five children, so toy space was also a luxury on restriction; even “under-the-bed-space” was short when you have bunk beds.

 

Like many other young girls (pre-school right through to teens) I loved ponies, or as my family and a wobbling toddling Manoosh referred to them “Gee Gees”.  Obviously (but not to 3 ½ year old me), that was out of the question, no matter how many times I would ask Father Christmas.  My Grandfather, Reginald Ernest George Crook, the jolly and loving man that he was came up with a plan, a wonderful, space saving, and lovingly on budget plan.

 

Now I don’t remember much about that Christmas, and I certainly do not remember any of my other presents, but I do remember both my sister and I being led to the French doors in our dining room.  There sitting outside on the patio was a giant 2-headed rocking horse.  It was beautiful.  The two of us bolted through the kitchen to our back door (why no-one opened the French doors we were standing at I do not know) and then out to meet out unique Gee Gee. 

 

From nose to floor it must have sat a meter high and almost a meter and a half long (nose to nose…giggle).  It was pure white, with a short mop mane (yes, that’s both ends), eyes, nose, mouth, with painted on reigns.  Underneath each ear (four in total) there were white wooden handle bars; actually they were more like wooden poles, and along the top of the body between each head was a carefully secured long thin green pillow for both young bottoms to sit.  The body again was white with hand painted belts running downwards, these were of course to secure the saddle around the belly, and for imaginary stirrups …. there was a reason for no stirrups.

 

Now the rocking part was pure genius.  On the bottom were two long strips of wood, slightly curved, just a like a smile J.  Running along each side, half way up, and about 3 ½ year olds leg and foot level, were to long thin white ledges, not only were these used as a “leg-up” mechanism but also to rest our feet on….. and to push our feet forcefully into (for inertia). That’s when all the fun started, imagine trying to explain to two little girls that one pushes (rocks) then the other one pushes BUT never at the same time.  Frustration, giggles, sore bums and banged heads followed … but eventually we got it.  I won’t even get into describing how well we managed it eventually (but real travelling movement was achieved …….very dangerous travelling movement).

 

Eventually the STRESSFULL and “very important” to a little girl problem of working out which end belonged to who was ingeniously solved (Fox and the Hound bubble gum stickers were stuck to its faces), and everyone lived happily ever after.

 

I loved that damn rocking horse, I still do.

 

When my parents moved out of their house 2 years ago, in the garage their sat my Granddads gee gee, granted it was in two bits (weirdly, and almost horrifically, horizontally) but there she was all the same.

 

I am glad I got to say good bye to my gee gee, I never did get to say goodbye to my Granddad.  25 years have passed since he died and my heart still misses him very much.  Maybe if you ask I will tell you about his rocking chairs.

 

Mx

 

© 2008 Just Manoosh


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hello then, you sound like a very happy woman. The Story was Christmasy and bounced right along with plenty of description. That was the good part and left me with gleeful sanguine yell-pickles of laughter ....of a sort. I liked the reality of the story. A very good unpretentious piece. It could easily be stretched into a longer short story or a part of a book even.

The rocking on a two headed gee gee by two twins seated in opposite directions is definately a good narrative sight. (I am having an evening nip of Christmas sherry, with my old grumpy husband Morris, so this review may be a bit tipsy-flavored but it is none the less executed with all sincerity)

Posted 15 Years Ago


AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.... how bloody sweet!!!!! This is SUCH a great tale, Manoosh! How wonderful. I'm so glad you shared this with us... it makes my heart smile. Very sad about not getting to say goodbye to Grandpa.. and yes, please, lets hear all about his rocking chairs in a new story, shall we??? : ) Sounds like Grandpa was one heck of a bloke!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a great christmas memory. I liked the feeling of happiness throughout. Well done.

So... about the rocking chair...

Posted 15 Years Ago


awe this is a very heart felt peice! i love this- it has true emotion and telll us so much about you in such little amount of words! Great Write "M" . you should tell me about his rocking chair!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 3, 2008
Last Updated on December 3, 2008

Author

Just Manoosh
Just Manoosh

Wonderland, South East England., United Kingdom



About
Music Playlist at MixPod.com Outside the Cafe Esperanza e inspiraci�n (Hope and Inspiration) Everyday without exception I shed silent tears. Just ask me, I won't bite. N.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Skins Skins

A Poem by Just Manoosh


Legacy Legacy

A Poem by Just Manoosh


Isolato Isolato

A Poem by Just Manoosh