This is a letter to two of my teachers: How dare you!

This is a letter to two of my teachers: How dare you!

A Story by Amanda Naomi
"

this is a letter to two unnamed teachers, calling them out when the didn't do what they were paid to do

"

This is a letter to two of my teachers:


How dare you! How dare you let me almost slip through the cracks of your public educational system. Yes I admit that I didn’t do my homework like the other good little children in my class, but you KNEW I was different. Having a learning disability didn’t mean that I didn’t want to do my homework, it meant that I couldn’t do it in the same way that those other kids could.
            You refused to work with me. I was a smart girl. I knew the information, I just didn’t know how to out it on paper sometimes. I always paid attention in class, even when sometimes it didn’t seem like it. And I scored fairly well on tests so you knew I must have learned something. But how dare you almost let me slip through the cracks.            

I always knew I was different, but because of you I believed that it was a bad thing to be different. Because of you I believed that I would never be able to do the things that normal students did. Do you know how hard it is to go through school feeling like that? Knowing that you’re just a failure and that nothing you can do will ever change that. How dare you?           

I loved learning so much. None of the other students cared about it, but I did. And you were willing to over look me because of my ADHD. So I was never bullied by my peers, so my family loved me and supported me. But still, YOU almost ruined my life. Because of you I almost didn’t pass highschool. Because of you I believed I was stupid. You were my teacher and you made me feel things no one should ever feel. You were in a place of power, in a place that is supposed to help, and you did nothing to help me. How dare you!

I would like to tell you a story of teachers that helped me grow. Teachers who were not willing to let me slip through the cracks, even though I was a difficult child. Mrs. Keeting who first noticed I had the symptoms of ADHD, she taught me patience, and although she sent me to "think time" almost every day, I knew that she loved me and wanted the best for me. Then there was Mr. Luckey, who gave me oral exams because he understood that I had trouble putting my thoughts into words. Mrs. Zamberlin who opened my eyes to the world of writing, she gave me tricks to be able to put my thoughts into words and was able to work with me when I missed turning assignments in on time. Then there was Mrs. Van Wry, a teacher that never gave anyone breaks. I was struggling in her class but she saw a light in me, she saw the potential in me that I never saw until I met her. I was the first student she ever let turn in an assignment late and because of her faith in me I was able to see that I was not so different. That I could do things that the other students could. That just because I had a handicap with learning did not mean that I was stupid or should just give up.              
It is because of these teachers that I was able to graduate, it is because of these teachers that I was able to become who I am today. Despite the fact that you never believed in me.            
 I am writing this to let you know, that just because a child is different and can’t learn the same way does not meant that they cannot learn. I am writing this to you in hopes that you won’t let any more children slip through the cracks, the ones that I almost fell through, because no child should feel what I felt because of one or two teachers standing in their way. Please promise me that you won’t let anyone else fall through, because you never know just how spectacular those kids can be.

© 2012 Amanda Naomi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I totally understand you because I've been treated the same way by teachers. I understand how you're so angry with them. This is a great piece of writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


very interesting.

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow that's depressing :/ but really good. but I have ADHD to

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ok, did you send it? I think sometimes it is better to write something like this and then burn it, and the go about setting the record straight, make them proud of you, make them wish that they had spent more time on you and aided you more. I have done this to several of my teachers through the years and they say I turned out great inspite of their lack of attention, caring or concern. Go out and use this as an empowering tool to chase down your dreams, make as much as you can and prove them wrong!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

447 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2012
Last Updated on January 3, 2012
Tags: teacher, teachers, students, student, memory, learning, ADHD, school, failing

Author

Amanda Naomi
Amanda Naomi

WA



About
I am from the wildest imagination From a selfless child with nothing to hide Im from a broken family filled with love And too, from a family broken with lack of love I am from the tip of a pen F.. more..

Writing
The War The War

A Poem by Amanda Naomi