Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Mariel

          I am the Hunter, bringer of death, a slayer. Ending the lives of pitiful, undeserved lives is what I do. Yet, that day when I first killed a human, a real, living, breathing human… I think that may have changed my whole life forever.

         His smile, so comforting and full of carelessness, is what I shall remember most about that day. When he left the house, he didn’t realize that I would become what I was now. He didn’t realize the pain and grief he would cause.
         “Honey, I have to go run and do a few errands. Do you mind staying home alone?” my father asked, grinning at me. He looked so much like a teenager, yet so much like a wizened old man.
         Returning his smile, I nodded eagerly. “Of course, daddy, you know I will always love you all the time, no matter where you are!” I chirruped.
         Rapidly, I gave him a hug, breathing in the scent of leather. My arms barely reached around to his back, but I still managed to get my fingertips to touch each other briefly. “Okay, Hunter, you can let go now,” he laughed, pushing me away gently.
         Giving me one last smile, he stepped into his car and turned the key. A soft rumbling sound was soon heard, echoing off into the world. Gas billowed out into the wind, and he was soon off.
         Giggling uproariously, I waved and sprinted up the stairs. My feet made a loud thumping sound with every step I took, shaking the stairs. Yet I still only chuckled at this.

         “Hello, is this Hunter Wynds?” an unfamiliar voice asked. Without waiting for an answer, it added, “Your father has been unfortunately killed in an accident. He had been in a car crash that was very severe, involving numerous vehicles,”
         I hung up abruptly.
         And cried to the moon, the stars, the sky, the world… just everything. 
         
         The sky was pale gray, streaks of white skimming through it all. Wispy clouds rolled through the heavens, bumbling about like careless bees.
         Throwing on an old sweatshirt, I stepped through the old, white door. I was greeted with moist, wet air, the humidity gluing the sweatshirt to my skin.
         An odd sense of… liveliness curled through the air, passing me and going through me. Chirps, rustles and footsteps danced their way into my ear.
         For some odd reason, I smiled in spite of myself. Taking out the knife in my pocket, I scanned the area. Immediately, silence followed. In the breeze, I swear I could hear my name being called over and over again, as a warning to all creatures nearby to beware.
         But an idiotic bird decided to cross my path. Even though it was aware I was present, the annoying robin chirped happily, bouncing along the sidewalk. Shaking my head in mock disappointment, I threw my knife carelessly but expertly at its bright, orange-red chest. The knife flew truly, swiftly reaching its target. Never knowing what happened, the bird gave out an anguished cry, helplessly watching its own blood spurting out onto the sidewalk. I saw the pain filling its eyes, along with fear and confusion. Gazing at me, it seemed to gaze into my soul. Its eyes blinked once more, then glazed over.
         “Glad that’s over and done with, my first kill of the day,” I grumbled, plucking the dagger with unexpected gentleness.
         Stroking the metal blade tenderly, I wiped away all traces of fresh blood left. Crimson stained my fingers, but I didn’t care. There was going to be much more, much, much more.
         Then, I loped off into the fiery sunrise, the wind cautioning my presence with every step I took.


© 2011 Mariel


Author's Note

Mariel
Do you think it's short? I'm not very sure of a chapter, so please assist me in that.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

it does seem a little short to me, but i tend to go on with my writing ;). i thinks its very creative, though, in such a short effort. maybe some more detail to get the reader to feel more involved. just a thought. it has great promise. i hope you will add more soon.
warrencook

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hello there. I just happened to click my way over to your book and gosh, I'm glad I bumped into it.

I love the way you described the father and I'm already liking Hunter. It was a little short for my taste but nevertheless wonderfully written. :)



Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 13, 2011
Last Updated on April 13, 2011


Author

Mariel
Mariel

About
Hey there everyone!! I play the violin and the piano, both for a very long time. I plan on playing the harp and the flute. I love New Age music, and it helps me when I write. Anyways, I love writing, .. more..

Writing
Memories Memories

A Poem by Mariel


Cat's Prayer Cat's Prayer

A Poem by Mariel