A desire to distance myself

A desire to distance myself

A Poem by Mark D

I refused to pay my last respects
I rejected the idea
They never found my body in the morning
Foundering in the aftermath
Of my latest bout of self-judgement

So a new love was born
At the memorial stone
Just after old Gods had fallen
My impassioned fan
Helped me back onto the stage

The first performance that I meant
The first step out of an illusion
Not to exhibit a talent
Just to be her mountain

I have a desire to distance myself
From attracting attention
From everyone else
Except a fledgling lover

I've decided to play on
The conclusion of the concert
Is done with a smile on my face
And isn't up for public debate

© 2012 Mark D


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The 4th stanza is telling. This is what we do when we're obsessed. We close off from everybody and everything else, and present ourselves a sacrifice to someone who is often not worthy. Then we learn to wait.

Don't know if this theory fits in with the theme of the whole piece, but my mind seemed to lock on the one stanza, to the exclusion of the rest.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Excellent work. Wishing I had the talent to write something like that! Well done, well done, well done!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


very good poem...I felt sadness then hope than joy and respect for the man who became a mountain.

Posted 11 Years Ago


as how i've cottoned onto what your verse implies, i think it means that... there are hints of death and rebirth in it (mostly rebirth). The first stanza indicates the determination in the narrator as he recollects that an unexpected reappearance must be made. Like a pure thespian, his comeback must be prodigiously perceived by his 'fledgling lover'. He does not mean to marvel the spectators or whoever who encounters him, but seems to come back with a vengeance of proving himself to her of what he is capable of. I suppose the 'impassioned fan' is the 'fledgling lover' (?) Forgive me if i have horribly wrongly uncovered the true meaning of your beautiful poem. I have enjoyed your 'A desire to distance myself.' It stands out from a lot of poems. =)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this, it fits into the style ( I think ) of a lot of modern poems that I read on other sites, of very prose based observations away from metaphorical overkill, so I think you did very well here, good one.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very interesting...intriguing...thought-provoking. Hmm. I think that I will be pondering this one for a while.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I much admired the entire work - being lead, thrown off, side-swiped and taken off on some seemingly random new journey, well, I just love that. Rather that than a meander through the known fields - thank you.
Rosalind
-x-

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1188 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 24, 2012
Last Updated on September 6, 2012

Author

Mark D
Mark D

Edinburgh, United Kingdom



About
I am a 30 year old from Edinburgh in Scotland more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


  Bouazizi Bouazizi

A Poem by MOON