F

F

A Chapter by Nico Marie

The faint scent of rotting strawberries wafts out as I open the refrigerator door, a dull glow emanating from the dirty bulb. There's nothing...as usual. I sigh and return to my seat on the couch, staring blankly. As usual. 
"You're so lazy," mom scolds, walking past me with a glare. As usual. Dad's not even aware I'm in the same room as him. As usual. Everything is "as usual" here, but the emotions inside me were overwhelmingly stronger than they were yesterday. I close my eyes, remembering.

"Worthless! That's what you are!" Amanda calls after me, laughing with her friends. I shrug it off and walk hurriedly to the restrooms. By the time I'm in a stall, I'm in tears. Breathing shakily, I pull the small pencil sharpener's blade away from its plastic protector and take a deep breath. Closing my eyes, I let the tiny razor take over. Satisfying, warm beads of blood drip-drip-drip from my now open wound.

"Dani?" Mom scowls. My eyes fly open to the present. "What did I just tell you?"
I shrug, looking down at the ground. With a frustrated sigh, she walks away. Worthless! Her ugly words haunt my dreams as I try to sleep that night.
"You're going to be late for school again!" Mom shouts, angrily pounding on my door. I wish I could tell her I'm always late on purpose. I want to tell her that I'm terrified of my classmates I had grown up with. I want to, but I don't say a word as I slip past her. 
"Bye, dad," I mumble as he passes me on my way out.
"Dani," he says over his shoulder. I pause and look up at him as he ruffles my hair. To my surprise, he smiles warmly. "I love you, kid."
"Go to school already!" Mom yells in a strained voice. Just like that, his eyes cloud over, and the moment is over.
I tap my pencil against the last page of my English notebook, contemplating the words I had just written:
I work so hard just to get up in the morning.
My mom thinks it's because I'm lazy.
What she doesn't understand is that it drives me crazy!
How I wish it were just that!
But no, depression hits me with full force,
And of course,
Everybody Everyone seems to disappear when I'm like this.
I can't control it, 
Nor can I dismiss the fact that it won't it'll never go away.
So what's wrong with me?
I ask you this with in dismay.
How can I control something I know nothing about?
I bear this alone,
Every word full of dou-

"What the hell is that?" a voice bursts out laughing. I turn just as another boy, Jonathan, snatches the notebook right from my desk.

"'I work so hard just to get up in the morning.' Damn, Daniel. You're such a frickin' loser!" they both burst into hideous hyena laughter.

"It's Danielle," I growl, snatching my beloved poem back. 

"Whatever. You look like a dude anyway!" he snickered, high-fiving Greg. I stand abruptly, shaking with fury.

"Danielle, please stay in your seat," Mr. Wilson sighs, giving me a helpless look. As if he were saying What can I do? There's a lot you can do, Mr. Wilson. You can be an adult and actually help me. "Danielle. Sit. Now."

"Roll over!" Greg shouts, Jonathan erupting into those horrendous hyena giggles. I want to slit his throat and drown those giggles in his own blood. Wait, what? Where had that come from? 

"Danielle?" Mr Wilson sounded concerned. He should be. I scooped up my backpack and raced out of the classroom to the safety of the bathroom. I sit in the last stall with my knees pulled up against my chest for the rest of the day, staring at nothing. As usual.
Relief washes over me as I walk through the front door; the day is almost over. That's when I hear the muffled sound of someone's anguished sobs. I, of all people, know that sound. Slowly making my way to the kitchen, I peek in to find my mother hunched over a glass cup of amber liquid, crying. Not as usual.
"Mom?" I whisper, almost inaudibly, as I look around for Dad. He should've been home by now. He isn't. Mom is crying. Where is Dad? I rush to his study. Not there. Where is Dad? I throw my backpack down and run to their room, dread knotting my stomach. His stuff is missing. Where is Dad? 
Dad is gone.


© 2017 Nico Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love it! I love the POV and tense. Your descriptions are amazing. I feel the emotions so vividly. You are an amazing writer!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nico Marie

6 Years Ago

Thanks ^.^ I try to improve my writing every time I read it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
1 Review
Added on October 18, 2017
Last Updated on October 20, 2017


Author

Nico Marie
Nico Marie

CA



About
My new pen name is Nico Marie. I'm 25 now in 2022. This used to be where I vented 9 or 10 years ago as Jekyll 'n Hyde so most of it is extremely cringy. Probably all of it if I'm being honest. I'll mo.. more..

Writing