I am one, I am All

I am one, I am All

A Poem by Maskedthoughts

I am not the firefly that glows in the dark, 
Nor am I the rabbit that skitters across the park,
I am not one, nor am I all, 
I am not afraid to fall.
 
Instead I fear the possibilities, I fear the things that mean most to me.
I am scared to achieve, to get all of my wildest dreams. 

Silly it is, for one to be afraid to receive what they want. 
But I am scared of what that change will bring 
I am scared ill never hear the phone ring-
I am scared to lose but I am scared to gain 
I guess I don’t want to go back to the pain. 

I want to explore and I want to see
But I fear the things I will find inside of me. 
My fear goes on for miles, I want to enjoy the safety for a while
But I find no greatness in my safety 
For not a damn thing will ever feel safe to me. 

Don’t you see the contradiction I’ve become? 
Can no longer be kept under your thumb, 
But cannot bear for the sound of my own drum.
To make the noise and shatter the illusion,
Would be such an intrusion, on my mind and my soul. 
But that is the only way I’ll ever be whole. 

© 2015 Maskedthoughts


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love the poem. It is a beautiful description of contradictions that arise within and force a person to pause before working for dreams. Voices inside that are the result of fear and other negative thoughts burns a person and take away positive virtues. It is only fear of any kind that obstruct us. Good write up. Thanks for sharing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


What a conun-DRUM - (sorry couldnt resist that MT )
Underachieving is a skill in itself - a skill that not many are proud of but a skill that has been honed from we were kids and we learned that achieving can bring with it so much pain and hurt (eg bullying). Therefore we create the underachiever persona to protect the real 'us'.
In time the real 'us' gets lost in the underachievers clothing and begins to feel suffocated by that suit of armour that once protected so well.
Its takes guts to throw the armour off and bare the real 'us' to the world. I still struggle with the clasps on my armour and sometimes, nay most times I relent to staying inside it.
Your insight makes that task all the more difficult. You see what needs done but fear doing it.
I wish you well.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Very emotionally resonating and I found myself relating to this a great deal.
A beautiful poem, thank you for sharing. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Maskedthoughts

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!
To fear change, and see that it can bring a downside as well as the upside, is a very good place to be in my humble opinion. It shows that you can fly, despite fearing heights, can overcome, despite being overcome and shows a depth of appreciation that not everything is in our own hands.
I thought of the phrase a beautiful contradiction while reading this, but then realise I might be mistaking it for a song lyric, I think it was a wonderful contradiction.
If we didn't have doubt, we would all try to fly from the highest cliff, but some prefer the safety of taking off from the ground first.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful and thought provoking write with us.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Maskedthoughts

8 Years Ago

Thanks i really wasn't sure about this piece, loved hearing your thoughts!
alifeacoustic

8 Years Ago

You are most welcome. And thank you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 25, 2015
Last Updated on September 25, 2015
Tags: poetry, fear, desire, wants, safety, courage, poem, free, verse

Author

Maskedthoughts
Maskedthoughts

Canada



About
"As a writer if someone falls in love with my work, I know they have fallen in love with my mind. Having no idea what my face looks like, they chose my mind. Art may be the only place a women can hold.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..