The Secrets of Mice and Men

The Secrets of Mice and Men

A Story by Matt G

Previous Version
This is a previous version of The Secrets of Mice and Men.



    Good day. My name is Franklin Bernard Butler, Esquire III. I live in Newsbury, Cantals and I have just been drafted into the war. Well I guess that is a rather rude way of introducing myself. I am an Albino Gray Rat and 4 1/2 years old. I can't say I am particularly against the war effort or being dragged in, though I do wish they had been a bit more cordial about it.

    My entire life hasn't exactly gone as I planned so I am used to this sort of thing. My plan was to go to college, get a master in business and take over the family automobile business. Father grew the business to become the major export out of Cantals and in turn we have become quite wealthy, I like to believe it hasn't gone to my head.

    It isn't all bad, being drafted, our house keeper's son is also being drafted, and into the same unit no less! His name is Richard Timpleton. He is a Black Rat and 4 years if age. We got along great in our early months and have become good pals since the two of us start training tomorrow. I think I will catch some shut eye until then.


    Well we got here in one piece so I can't fault these half-witted infantry fools for anything, I do so hope that I don't get stuck with these imbeciles. Now I should move on, because this isn't terribly exciting hearing me talk about the morons. Dick and I have gotten our things put away and received our uniforms the other day. They aren't as elegant as I imagined. Perhaps I was expecting a bit much. There was quite a commotion today. Apparently the camp has a visitor, one of the Matriarchs of the King. They are renowned machinists and magic users. I asked around as to why one was here and got that they are scouting for potential. Now I have found my goal. I will become a Grand Matriarch. 

    "Franky! Hey Franky! Hey, you awake?""What? What is it Dick?" Sometimes Dick has trouble sleeping and feels the need to drag me into his insomnia.

    "Have you met the Matriarch? I hear that it's a female! And she is incredibly beautiful!"

    "A female, eh?" This is good news for me. Not once has a female turned me down. It would seem as if becoming Matriarch is going to be easier than I thought, "Listen Dick, we'll talk about it tomorrow. For now let's get some sleep."

    "Right. In the morning Franky."


    Great. The morning horn. It seems the barbarians running this place are unable to regain consciousness without loud blaring noises. Anyway, I need to get on with the usual drilling, after that I will find the Matri-

    "Franky! Let's go! They are holding the drills till later today! There is some sort of screening today! And guess what?! That female Matriarch is there!"

    "Dick you don't have to yell everything." Dick gets excited easily. This is good news though, with this I can make my first impression, then I just have to seal the deal in my free time and I'm in.

    "Sorry Franky, but that's good right? If we play our cards right, we may get to leave with her and become Matriarchs!"

    "Maybe Dick, maybe." I didn't have the heart to tell him that he had no chance. Don't get me wrong, Dick isn't as brainless as the others around here and when he puts his head to it he can be downright clever, but he just isn't bright enough for the job. However I am a shoe-in for it, "For now let's just get to the spot, where is it being held?"

    "Right Franky, it is at a medical unit's building. There is also a physical so they just set up there. Let's go!"

    On the way there Dick was going on and on like he usually does. As you can probably guess he does this a lot so I just nodded. I was actually deep in thought about what would go on during the screening. What tests will be preformed? When will I leave?

    "...so that's how they got me to- hey we're here!"

    "Huh? Oh look at that...it looks like they are separating us according to blood type. I better go to the left set then," I am A Positive and Dick is O Positive, "catch-up with you later."

    "See-ya later Franky!"

    As I get into line I notice where the line leads to. An open are blocked off by curtains, it seemed all the lines were headed to the same place at different openings, but what is awaiting us on the other side? As the line began to recede it became clear that whatever test they were, they weren't very long.

I trudge to the other side of the curtain to find two female nurses and the Matriarch. She was more than beautiful, she was radiant. I truly could not believe my eyes. She and only she spoke:

    "Please take a seat...Private Butler. From what I have read you come from quite an accomplished family. Your father has made quite a many armaments for our organization."

    Armaments? What is she talking about? My father sells automobiles, "Not to mention the exorbitant amounts of scrap. If you are anything like him...well let's begin, shall we?"

    What continued seemed to be just a routine physical from the nurses. She, however, did nothing but stare and ask a question every now and again. I was too dumbstruck to voice anything but a prompt answer.    What did she mean, "Armaments"? My father doesn't make weapons; I have been to his factories and warehouses myself! There isn’t any machinery producing, or even resembling the look of producing weapons!

    "And you skill with machinery?"

    "I know the basics." What did this have to do with anything? "My father wasn't around very much and subsequently the training he gave me was little at best."

    "I see. Well that concludes the examination. Exit is on your left."

    "Hey would you like to head down to th-"

    "Exit is on you left."

    "Alright, I get it. No need to be so cold." If she was any colder I'd have gotten freezer burn.

    


    The next couple of days pass by with no real significance. Such routine and monotony is truly dreary. To tell the truth I spent most of my time in my head, thinking about the possibility that the Matriarch may not be lying about my father. What does he really do? Honestly I had never been with him to his factories and warehouses, he would just ask me to go down and "watch the workers and observe how to work machinery." This was something very important to him. The Matriarch herself often crossed my mind as well. Such beauty and yet so cold. She is a mystery to me.

    "Dick, have you seen the Matriarch anywhere around?"

    "Sorry Franky, not a sign of her. I got a letter from my mom at your estate. She said that 'It is quiet and lonely without you here to clean up after... the place will be just how you left it for when you return.'"

    "Well, that is good. You think the Matriarch will be at the assembly today?"

    "That the only thing you can talk about? Well you’re in luck; I heard that she is the one who organized it. Something about results?"

    "Just as I thought." It seems that it is time for me to leave, "Let's get this over with. In the usual building, right?"

    "Yeah, Lets head out."

    When we arrived at the building it was almost empty, save about thirty or so. Dick and I sat with Abigail Tuthreau. She is one of the female recruits. She is also a mouse which is the odd part. You see, we rats are the larger ones so we usually take care of the war.

    "Hi Richard. Hi Franklin."

    "Hello Abby! Gee, there aren't many here!"

    "Well Richard, I wondered about that myself. I "asked" a few of the guards and it turned out that only the lot in here now were even told about it! Suspicious, huh?!"

    When Abigail says "asked" it is safe to assume that someone is tied to a chair somewhere. This news of select candidates is good. That means that this must be the group they will be taking with them. These must be the Matriarchal Candidates.

    Out of the thirty here I can identify a few I had gone through basic with. Among them were James "Sykes" Schyz. I don't believe he is mentally stable, not to mention his size. Let's just say that he isn't mistaken for a raccoon because he's a rex masked. Not too far from him is William Reeding. He's a mix. A double rex and a russian blue. He's seen a lot in his young life. As a result he doesn't speak more than he needs to. Up in the front is Larino, he's a pure double rex. He loves opera and doesn't hesitate to make it known. We generally stay away from him at night because we enjoy sleeping and he is quite loud. Next we have Charles    "Charmer" Jones. He's a gray rat like me. But apparently much more handsome. I don't see it. He is supposed to be very popular with the females and is always trying to "hook someone up" or giving tips.    Currently receiving his so called guru "help" against their will is Juliet Dawn. She is really, ah how to put this nicely, "experienced". She is a mouse like Abby but not nearly as...reserved. One thing I like about her though is her ability to spot bullshit a mile away. There are a few others but not really worth mentioning.    What struck me as odd is that many of the candidates weren't particularly smart in general. At least they didn't score high on the intelligence exam. Despite this they seem to have been invited here. Looks like they are about to begin.

    A fat grey rat stood up in front of the mic,

    "Looks like you're all here. Let's begin, shall we? First off, as you can guess we have gathered you for your abilities being that they are above par when compared to your peers in the camp. Second, you should note that just because this is true it does not mean that we will be taking you with us. Third and finally, you will be observed and tested, you will not be doing anything unless you have been told to, and will not be going anywhere unless instructed to. I do not care if your mother is dying; you don't do anything unless it is authorized by me personally. Oh yes, before I let you leave, I am Gordon Chronister and I will be putting you through hell in the next couple of weeks. Dismissed."

    Gordon Chronister?! He is the head of the Elite Matriarch Platoon! I never in my life dreamed that I would ever meet him!  Although this is probably the greatest thing that could ever happen to me, meeting the great Gordon Chronister, he didn't quite live up to the glory of his legend.

    "Hey Franky! Can you believe it?! THE Gordon Chronister! In flesh and blood! I never thought that we would get to meet him!"

    "Dick don't get over excited. Remember what he said? 'Just because you are here doesn't mean that we will be taking you with us.' So we have to keep impressing them. Keep on your toes; we aren't out of the fire yet."


    With that began our living nightmare that was the secret training camp of the Matriarchs. The wicked puppeteer Gordon Chronister is putting us through hell just like he promised; the only good thing is that it isn't every day. I thought that it would be a lot easier, that the Matriarchs just built stuff to fight with and threw a spell or two at their creations to make them indestructible or something, but I haven't even heard of any spells mentioned or seen a piece of machinery. All we do all day is move trees that have been chopped down. Back and forth, back and forth, tree after tree after tree. They try to tell me that this is for strength training and endurance but I fail to see the need if all I am going to do is sit in a hanger building things. The worst part is that I am starting to miss that fool servant Dick. I guess it gets kind of lonesome since we were given separate lodgings now that we are candidates. Well I guess it is good since a couple of the candidates have dropped out. No one important, but still, I thought this was going to be a lot easier. I was wrong.


    Well I have found something to pass the time with. They have allowed us to keep some simple toys and tools now to practice our mechanics with. I have been whittling the hours away by disassembling and reassembling a pocket watch that they gave me. For some reason it is kind of familiar...whatever I have more important things to be worrying about. It seems that Dick is some kind of prodigy at the mechanics and they have allowed him to see and work on some of the larger things they brought. Most of his free time it spent in a hanger repairing something or learning how something works. I'll have to catch up to him soon, it can't look good to be losing to the help, even if he is, I dread to say it, my best...friend. I am having him help me with the reassembly of the light projector they are embarrassing me with this afternoon, maybe I can get his secret about getting so good, so quickly.

    Knock, knock, knock!  That must be him now.

    "Dick, it is about time you got here.  Now the reason that I called you over is- your not Dick."

    "No mate, I'm not."  It was Sykes. His murderous eyes said that he wasn't visiting me to ask for a cup of sugar.  "Listen, I think that you need to knock off this whole Matriarch bit, you're starting to make me look bad.  Now, I'm not normally in the racket of muscling around to get my way, but for you I'll make an exception.  So, you got three days to drop the set or I will make sure you don't have a choice.  Remember, three days."

    With that he left.

© 2010 Matt G


Author's Note

Matt G
Still in the works. Could really use some constructive criticism.



Featured Review

This has some unique style to it. I don't quite know what it is, but I like it. Plus, I just like the fact that it's centered on a group of talking rats. I'm hoping the reader is supposed to take that they are literally rats, otherwise I'll sure feel like a dumb. I would suggest maybe making some kind of break when the date in the story changes? It may make the whole thing easier to follow. Overall, I really liked it and hopefully there'll be more of it :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This has some unique style to it. I don't quite know what it is, but I like it. Plus, I just like the fact that it's centered on a group of talking rats. I'm hoping the reader is supposed to take that they are literally rats, otherwise I'll sure feel like a dumb. I would suggest maybe making some kind of break when the date in the story changes? It may make the whole thing easier to follow. Overall, I really liked it and hopefully there'll be more of it :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

10 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 12, 2010
Last Updated on January 12, 2010
Tags: Secrets, mice, fantasy, sci-fi, magic

Author

Matt G
Matt G

IN



About
I write incredibly infrequently. Often get distracted by responsibilities at work and abandon writings. I apologize if I abandon something you are enjoying. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Matt G