Chapter 2 The Dog

Chapter 2 The Dog

A Chapter by Matt G
"

The main character is surprised with an odd present

"

2

The Dog

 
 

Imagine my surprise to find a dog staring right up at me as I walk in from one of the creepiest nights of my life!  I thought all of it was going to be a dream and soon I would wake up and find that there was no creepy guy in the workshop, no dog on my bed, and Sarah and I are on our way to interview the commissioner today.  Then I knew that it couldn't be so, it had all happened, and it happened to me. 

 

"Why?" I said aloud, "Why me?  I'm no one special.  So why did it all happen to me?  What is going on?"

 

Tom is a light sleeper so this of course woke him up.

 

"What are you going on about over there?  Is it about that package you got?" Tom asks in his wake.

"Nothing Tom.  Go back to sleep it's nothing to get yourself riled up about."

 

"Well it looks like it has you pretty stirred up.  So what is it?" He motions to the box.

 

"You have to see for yourself." He walks over and peers into the box.

 

"Is that a dog?!"

 

"Shhhh.  Not so loud, you want me to get kicked out?"

 

"Why-who-How did it survive in there?"

 

"I don't know.  It isn't like I sent it."

 

"This is bad we could get in serious trouble for having a dog on campus."

 

"Listen just don't tell anyone, I will get it out of here over to Sarah's tomorrow.  She has been planning to get a dog."

 

"What if it barks?"

 

"How long has it been here?"

 

"Since about 4."

 

"Then why would it start barking now?"

 

"Okay, but what are you gonna do with it?"

 

"I don't know, just let me sort it out and go back to sleep, I will take care of it."

 

"Ok but be careful. Nite."

 

"Nite man.  And you!  You got to sleep, too."

 

As I said that the dog curled up and began snoring peacefully.

 

"Jeez, who thought that something like this could happen?"


At that note I went to sleep.  In the morning I looked over and saw the box, when I looked in I saw that the dog was gone.  In a panic I surveyed the room looking furiously for him.  That is when I noticed that Tom was gone as well.  I waited for a couple minutes until I heard a whine from the bathroom.  I walked over and opened the door to find the young Yellow Labrador looking back up at me with a large grin on its face, along with what looked like bits of sausage.  Just then Tom walked in the door.
"Oh hey, your up! I hope you don't mind but I gave the little guy some sausage." Tom sayed as he walked in,  "He was looking a bit hungry so I got some extra when I got breakfast."
 
"Not at all, but did you have to give him sausage? His breath is horrible!"
 
"Ha, yeah but hey I have to go just dropped by to grab a book.See ya."
 
"Later Tom."

Tom leaves, closing the door behind him.  I look down at the dog and wonder where he came from.  He looks back up with his tongue lolling and his eyes as large as dinner plates.
"Don't look at me like that, it isn't like I'm getting rid of you.  Plus I am almost always at Sarah's when I'm not at school or the paper so I should see you plenty." I reasure the dog.
"Well I guess I better get dressed."
I get dressed then grab the dog and place him in the box.  I then go on my way to Sarah's place.  On the way there I pass the work shop, this time the gates are closed, but I can't keep the memory from flooding back about that weird guy.  How did I know him?  Have I met him before? I can't think about this right now, I need to get this dog to Sarah's before I get caught with him on campus.  As I get closer to the apartment I hear the dog whimpering in hte box and I realize that I hadn't taken him for a walk, so I move off to a bush out of the view of the road, or anything else for that matter, and let him out to go to the bathroom.  The little guy takes care of his business and I can't help but to look at him on his way back to me and wonder, Did he get bigger?  I shrug it off and continue to Sarah's but as hard as I try I can't help to notice that he does in fact feel heavier.
 
I finally get there and knock on her door, she opens it looking a little surprised to see me.
"What are you doing here so early?  I wasn't expecting you to come over till later. What's that in your hand?"
"Yeah I meant to call but I had to hurry.  Anyway, remember how you said you wanted to get a dog and started saving up to go get one from the pound?  Well I have a little surprise for you.  Can I come in?"
"Oh yeah, of course!  Well what is it?"
I open the box and reveal the dog once she closes the door.
"Oh my goodness!  It's a puppy!  Were did you get him?  What's his name?  Did you plan this?"
"Well the truth is, is that someone left him in my room in this box.  He was so quiet that Tom didn't even notice that there was something alive in the box and I thought that since you wanted a puppy so bad that you would be perfect to take care of him since we can't have animals in the dorm, and no he doesn't have a name yet."
"Well then you will just have to name him."
"Me?  But I can't do that."
"He is your dog."
"But I gave him to you!"
"Yes, but he needs a name."
"Ok how about...Ward?"
"Hey that's a great name!"


© 2010 Matt G


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ward is a good name. This chapter was a little confusing, though. Maybe if you post any more chapters, you could do something with the spacing? It's a little hard to read. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


So far so good. I love dogs so I am enjoying this.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

323 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 13, 2010
Last Updated on January 13, 2010


Author

Matt G
Matt G

IN



About
I write incredibly infrequently. Often get distracted by responsibilities at work and abandon writings. I apologize if I abandon something you are enjoying. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Matt G