the Heart Book

the Heart Book

A Story by McKenna B.
"

read it and find out

"
Running. Always running. Pausing, kneeling, breathing. Come.
 
 I lift my heavy head and blink away the snowflakes from my lashes.
 A deep baritone moaning, the swish of settling snow on the flagstone  pathway. A gentle drumbeat of my heart. Silence. Come.
 With quivering fingers I draw back my burlap cloak and pull out a thick leather book. Heat pulses through my fingers and I let out a sigh of relief. It is still there.
 Stand. Run. Come.
 I stand shakily and risk a quick look behind me. All I see in the swirling snow and the darkness of the woods that surround the path, closing it, there is no way back.  I shiver. The only way to go is forward. Come. With a heavy heart I break into a run, the clack of my studded boots diminished by the snow.
 That is right, my child, come to me.
 “I am coming,” I whisper, but my voice is scarcely my own. I clutch the book tightly to my chest and feel it’s warmth spreading through my breastbone, warming my heart. Arlamiti was right. Once you start there is no looking back, no going back.
 Forget your brother, she says, come to me.
 “I am…yours,” I say.
 Mine mine mine mine.
 “I am not…my own anymore. I am yours. I belong to you. I will come to you. I will bring myself to you.”
 Mine mine mine…
 I fall to my knees and sob. I am hers, hers, hers…
 “Arlamiti,” I whisper, “I am sorry I left you. I am hers now. I am bringing my Heart Book to her. I will not be back.”
 Mine mine mine mine…
 “Yours,” I say, and I stand up and keep running.

© 2011 McKenna B.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really liked this, very interesting. Thanks

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is really good! I love the imagery you've used. It's really effective. =D

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 15, 2011
Last Updated on November 15, 2011

Author

McKenna B.
McKenna B.

About
in July, I will have been writing for exactly half my life :) *claps happily* I did nanowrimo for the first time last november and still go on now, chatting and hanging in the reccess forums. My use.. more..

Writing
Nocturnal Nocturnal

A Poem by McKenna B.


Darius Darius

A Story by McKenna B.