The Enchanter

The Enchanter

A Story by Megan F.

“Once, thousands of years ago, mortals mingled with those of magical descent, they associated themselves unsuspectingly, noticing no differences whatsoever. They looked as much as they did, spoke in their language, behaved in a normal manner; there was nothing to be suspicious of. Little did they know, however, that beyond their little normal world�"another existed, yet to be discovered. The Worlds of the Enchanter, small worlds hidden from the mortal eyes, a humanity of bizarre creatures, lead by the all-powerful Enchanter,

“The Enchanter looked after his mystical people, rewarded them when deserved, and punished if necessary. The worlds held opposing magical ethnicities, such as the calm-ones, heralds of peace and neutrality; the shielding-ones, protectors of all things mortal; and blithe-ones, the carefree outcasts. Alas, as with any other world, a race of wickedness is hardly inevitable. The cruel-ones, the epitome of evil in both worlds, demonic beings who consumes the souls of the innocent, and strengthens through succumbs of their counterparts, the shielding-ones, to be precise; they resided in a world beneath the living, and a tad above the dead.

“They all had responsibilities towards the mortal world, all apart from the cruel-ones. They were bestowed with easy tasks they were fairly accustomed to; the blithe-ones were given the task of protecting farm animals from the feral monsters. The calm-ones handled diplomatic duties; they started and were bridges for attempts to make peace throughout people and nations. The shielding-ones, on the other hand, supervised the defense of the portals that hid their worlds from the mortals, and kept the cruel-ones from entering both worlds. The land of mortals attained their golden years of peace and prosperity.

“Over time, though, they grew lazy. They began to bury themselves into the satisfying peaks of confidence, up to the point that they masked all disasters as trivial. Mortals agonized over the slow extermination of their livelihoods, they wept as the untamed beasts devastated their very homes, unable to do a thing about it. Hostilities erupted throughout every land imaginable, for supposed reasons ranging from nonsensical to laughable. Despite all this, the faults of the shielding-ones were the largest; they created a bridge for all evils. Their carelessness and gullibility lead to the downfall of the mortals and shielding-ones alike, the unsupervised portals enabled the cruel-ones to infiltrate the mortal world.

“Moments before the Enchanters interval, catastrophes broke out in every corner. Tragedies of any kind, calamities. . . All works of the cruel-ones. And the Enchanter felt that the dreaded era had started, a new dawn rose: they could do no more for the mortals.”

“Grief and anger blinded him, urging his actions. His knowing eyes fell upon his once-beloved people as glares. Punishment was inevitable, and he gave no hesitation granting them. The blithe-ones were banished from the city lands, only to wander throughout the world and never settle down; branded as vagabonds and tramps in the eyes of the Worlds. The calm-ones, so normally approachable and open, were therefore imprisoned in a world of their own, permanently detached from the other Worlds; losing their helping, peaceful nature, and into an unaffected, indifferent race.

“And�" the sole race to have any form of physical punishment inflicted upon them�" the shielding-ones. Their punishment, much like the former two, was to last permanently. They were stripped of their magical elements. Shielding-ones of all age, no exception whatsoever, were to endure obligatory combat training. They and they alone, were to watch over the mortals from any harm concerning the magical arts, most particularly the cruel-ones; for the only way their race could continue to survive is by abiding that duty.

“In spite of the new era, the Enchanter gave his all to rein in the cruel-ones, over and over, he was unsuccessful. By this time, his spirits had nearly dwindled, and felt as though there was nothing else for him to accomplish. His final actions were confusing to his people, the shielding-ones mainly; firstly, he destroyed every single portal situated in the mortal world, an action that made the shielding-ones duty harder than it already was; secondly, he commanded a herald of his to pick and choose any solid item from the mortal ground, and it has been told that following his departure, lying on the highest shelf of the Enchanters chamber, it simply faded into a pool of golden dust; thirdly, he restored the magic of the shielding-ones.

© 2010 Megan F.


Author's Note

Megan F.
What do you think? :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This needs significant work grammatically, but it is an interesting metaphor of the relationship between God, mortals, and the angels and demons that either protect or seek to destroy them. PM me if you desire some in-depth assistance.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
1 Review
Added on October 12, 2010
Last Updated on October 12, 2010

Author

Megan F.
Megan F.

Sta. Rosa, Laguna, Philippines



About
I am fourteen years old. I wear glasses, and I am a bookworm, and proud of it. I absolutely love writing fantasies, and sometimes drama and dystopian stories. The Harry Potter series is my hands-d.. more..

Writing
The Letter The Letter

A Chapter by Megan F.