Joyride

Joyride

A Story by George Chiarovano

Joyride

BOOM!

The cannon fires and blood sprays the battlefield. Officers yell at their subordinates. Soldiers avoid their fallen friends. Shrapnel flying through the air. I'm running through the field with my platoon following. We’re on our streakers racing towards our enemies. We are the Valkyrie Cavalry unit. We know our mission. We head towards the enemy fort, firing our weapons as we swiftly avoid the attacks of our adversaries. However, slowly, we are one by one taken out. After the last man falls, I turn and begin my retreat…

“Stop” yells the voice of my commander, Captain Roger Styx. “End the exercise”

Guerriero,” says Captain Styx “Get your head out of your a*s”

“I’m sorry, sir” I respond, hoping he’ll drop it.

“Don't be sorry, fix it. Enough with the goddamn retreats in every drill. No more joyriding”

Alright, whatever. I guess I should explain. My name is Second Lieutenant Richard Guerriero. I am in a cavalry unit, but it's not really mine. I'm a platoon leader, of which some of my best friends, the Valkyries, are squad leaders. We all grew up together in Little Italy, New York City before it became Little China. We called ourselves the Valkyries because my Lieutenant, Mikey DiLupi, read it in a book in school and thought it was cool. None of us found out what it was till Jimmy Burr took a class on Norse Mythology in our sophomore year of high school. That was four years ago. We still haven’t change. Despite the name, we became feared and respected in the neighborhood of organized crime and corruption that Little Italy always was. We looked out for each other. We kept each other alive. Three months ago, Roger Styx, my now commander, asked me to be an officer in his company. Three weeks ago, I accepted under the condition that my friends came with me. I said I go nowhere without them.  I’m not sure why he said yes, but he did. Two weeks ago, I arrived and immediately made enemies. Some of the other lieutenants called me reckless, immature, uncaring, a glory seeker, and other names that are bound to apply to a poor kid from a poor neighborhood where he was known as a street rat. My biggest crime has been my tendency to joyride. During several training simulations and exercises, I have gone off course and left the field. We call this “joyriding” because it's more about having fun than doing your duty. I can't help it. I was a born leader, following directions is not my strong suit. The only reason I haven't been discharged is that of Captain Styx and his superior, Lieutenant Colonel Mason, like me. But their patience is running out.

“Lieutenant Guerriero, Sir” says a sweetly friendly voice. “Captain Styx would like to see you in his office immediately.”

“Thank you, First Sergeant” I respond. “How are you, Sally?”

“Sir, with all due respect, I'd prefer if you'd call me by First Sergeant or Simmons during duty hours.” Says the committed cavalry NCO “but very well thank you, Dick”

She smiles. Her smile is nice. One of the few nice things I’ve experienced at this military base. She’s probably so nice because of who she is. She is only 24, way younger than most other First Sergeants. However, she’s also one of the best. And I’m also three years too young to be a Second Lieutenant, so who am I to talk.

“I’m glad,” I say, then in a deeper, more leader-Esq voice, “Now, will you please bring me to Captain Styx’s office.”

“Right away, sir.”

“Thank you, First Sergeant”

As we walk, I have no worries. Why? Styx will never discharge me. I’ve suffered no punishment in all my joyriding. I am completely safe.

Then we enter Styx’s office.

“First Sergeant, you are dismissed,” says Styx, scarily stern

“Sir, I think it would be helpful to..” replies the lovely young women. She wants to stay and help me. She really is sweet.

“Dismissed, First Sergeant” replies the angry man. He’s practically yelling.

“Yes, sir,” says the terrified young women.

A*****e. She did nothing wrong.

“Good luck, Dick” I hear her whisper.

As Sally walks out, Styx stares at her. As soon as she leaves, his attention turns towards me.

“Sweet girl, Simmons is, huh sir,” I say

Guerriero, what the f**k is wrong with you?” rhetorically asks Styx.  

“You want the full list or..?

“Don’t get smart with me.”

“Well, sir I..”

“Cut the bullshit. I’m not talking to Lieutenant Guerriero, I’m talking to Dick.”

“Now I’m confused.”

“I bend over backward for you. I get you here as an officer. I get your friends here as your squad leaders, despite none of you have any experience. I vouch for you with my commanders. I take all your fuckups as my fault. And yet you continue to bait me into discharging you. I’m not just your superior, I’m your friend and you are screwing me.”

“Styx, I’m not doing it on purpose.”

“I know, you’re a ‘restless soul’, you crave action. You crave freedom. Everyone who knows you has told me. But, you are MY subordinate, MY responsibility. If you get someone killed, it’s MY a*s on the line. I get discharged. You have nothing to lose. You came from nothing. You’ll go back to it. I came from power, honor, and nobility. I threw it all away for this stupid war. I lose everything. Is that what you want?

“Roj, you’re repeating yourself”

“If I’m a broken record, you made the cracks”

“What the hell’s a record?”

“Dick!”

“I’m kidding, calm down Styx”

“Go and talk to your friends, I want this fixed, dismissed.”

“Yes, sir”

I salute him and leave his office. He isn’t completely wrong. If I keep going the way I am, I will never become someone worthwhile. The highest rank that knows me, won’t be promoting me anytime soon. I need to prove myself if I want to have anything after the war ends.

I head to my platoons barracks, and into the Squad Leaders Tent, where my Valkyries live. They are all in their uniforms, except for their jackets, which they always wear in their tents and of the base. They all have the Valkyries “white sword and wings logo” on the right sleeve and back, with their last names on the back. I’m greeted as warmly as you’d expect their leader and friend to get.

“Hey Lieutenant, you get fired yet?” says Powers

“No, Trip, but I do have the authority to demote you” I reply

“What did he say, Dick?” Sammy asks

“Well Sergeant Dimarco, I was given another warning and that means you all were,” I tell him.

“Wait, why us?” asks Mikey

“Because without Styx’s star recruit, they won’t need the rest of Valkyries” Burr replies.
“What do you mean?” Mikey asks

“Do you really think that Youngblood and Mr. are gonna listen to anyone besides Dick ?” replies Burr.

“I don’t know,  I think they’d figure it out,” Mikey says, hopefully.

“All of you shut up,” I yell. “God, You’re like children. The point I’m trying to make is, keep your heads down. No smart comments, no breaking curfew or dress codes, and no more joyriding. I can’t save you all anymore.”

“Give yourself the same advice” Trip replies

“Okay and you have fun cleaning the latrines tonight, Sargent Powers” I reply

I have to admit, pulling rank is fun sometimes. Just as I finish my speech, Sally runs in.

“Sir, Captain Styx called a meeting for all platoon leaders immediately,” she says.

“Thank you, First Sergeant, I will be there immediately” I reply

“Yes, sir” She leaves

“Remember what I said,” I tell my men. God, I hope they do.
When I get to the meeting room, Styx looks nervous.

“What’s the problem, sir,” asks one of the other platoon leaders. I can never remember their names.

“No problem Jameson, just an announcement.” Styx says” Lieutenant Colonel Mason is visiting”

“Your commander?” Said the other platoon leaders

“Exactly, Daniels,” Styx says

“Okay so, what do we do,” I ask

“We’ll be running drill and training exercises all day.’’ Styx lectures  ‘‘He will want to speak to all of you. You will tell him about your platoon and training. He just wants to make sure that everything's the way it should be. Which means following everything by the book. No retreating. No forced murder. No joyriding”

“Yes, sir” I respond. I’m the only one who responds. We all know I’m the only one who has to.

“Dismissed” responds the Captain. “Simmons, tell Lieutenant Walker I need to see him”

Lieutenant Walker is Styx’s second in command. He walks in.

“So, Guerriero when is your discharge party.” says higher ranking Lieutenant

Also, he hates me.
“Whenever this war is over, sir” I respond

“We’ll see about that” Says Walker

“As you say, sir” I reply

He glares at me as he goes inside Styx’s office. I am not gonna get discharged. That’s not how this is gonna happen. I am going to succeed.

After informing my platoon of this, I walk past my motorcycle. Mason won’t be here for a little while. One more joyride won’t kill me, right. I’ll be quick.

As I ride, I feel free. I have no worries. No fear. Until I see Lieutenants Walker, Jameson, and, Daniels. I stop short. What the hell are they doing off base? I try to get closer, hiding behind a tree as they talk.

“So it’s done,” says Walker.

“Yes, my men are planting the trap as we speak.” Daniels informs them “Mason will be killed, Styx will go MIA and we all will rise in rank as well. Soon enough, this cavalry will be ours. And a military without a cavalry is as good as lost. This war will be ours.”

“And Guerriero will take the fall. He’s already an irresponsible child in the eyes of the leadership, and once he’s gone all almost all cavalry officers will be part of our alliance”

Holy s**t. They’re traitors. Or spies. Whatever it is, I gotta tell Colonel Mason. And Styx. I gotta run. I get back in my bike and ride fast as hell. I can’t let this happen. But how can I tell Styx and Mason about this when they were off base. This should be fun.

I arrive with my platoon just in time for inspection. Styx walks up to me with the Colonel.

“Lieutenant, I’d like you meet Lieutenant Colonel John Mason,” Styx says

“It’s a pleasure, sir” I respond I salute

“As you were,” Mason says. He just screams soldier.

“Sir, respectfully I would actually like to show you my personal quarters before we begin the proper inspection, I understand this is last, but I feel an interview would serve both of us better, considering my young age and the inexperience of my squad leaders and me, I believe speaking to you would help me serve as a better commander and overall soldier,” I say. I’m rambling. I can’t help it. I’ve never had to prevent a murder plan before.

“Does he always talk this much, Styx?” Mason says

“Unfortunately, he does not stop speaking, sir” Styx replies.

“Well, Lieutenant, since you are so passionate about this, I will accept your request,” Mason says

“Thank you, sir” I reply. “Captain Styx, sir, will you please take command of my platoon in my temporary absence.”

“I’d be happy to, Guerriero.” Replies Styx. He’s suspicious.  But he’s not gonna sabotage his inspection to call me out. That’s good. I can only lie for so long.

As Mason and I walk, I feel like I’m shaking. I feel sick and scared. I’m not gonna let this man die. I can’t promise the same for Walker and his spy buddies.

When we enter my tent, I just blurt it out.

“Sir, there is a conspiracy against you,” I say

“What?” He responds

“Walker, Daniels, and Jameson are planning on killing you, kidnapping Styx and blaming me.”

“What? Why?”

“They’re traitors, and we’re the only cavalry officers left with loyalty to our cause.

“I don’t believe this.”

“Then come with me, we need to find Walker”

“I’m trusting you.”

“Thank you, sir”

The second we step out, a gunshot fires. I tackle Mason and the bullet cuts straight through my tent and enters Jameson’s head, who was waiting on the other side for the body. We see Walker across the field being detained by some of my men. I run down and detain Daniels, who fired the initial shot. Styx walks up to me and Mason.

“I hope you don’t mind, I borrowed some of your men.” Styx says “Walker asked me where Mason was, and when I told him, looked at your tent. It wasn’t hard to stop him after that”

“I guess now we have some investigating to do, but how’d you know about this son,” Mason asks.

“Well sir, I overheard them speaking,” I say.

And it’s the truth. They don’t need to know that I was joyriding.

© 2018 George Chiarovano


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on March 28, 2018
Last Updated on October 10, 2018