rants and thoughts

rants and thoughts

A Story by Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks

   I agree with at least one thing about Christianity.  I believe that humankind are sinners.  I just have a different idea of what those sins are.  I believe that our biggest sins are the sins that we commit against the Earth we live on and the creatures and vegetation that live on it with us.  Before you call me blasphemous, consider this.  In the beginning of the Bible, did God create all of the Earth and the creatures on the Earth for the Humans, or did God create the Earth and the vegetation and creatures on it, and then create Humans to take dominion over it?   Yes, I know that dominion means to rule over… but is that really what God meant,  or, was this a precious gift that was entrusted to us to cultivate and care for, as it says in the second story of creation of the Catholic Bible?  I think sometimes Christians get so caught up in the sins of the Ten Commandments (six of which are sins against other humans), and they forget about the very first gift that God entrusted to us, the Earth that we live on and the vegetation and creatures that live on it with us.  Is there some sort of belief that loving the Earth would be breaking the first commandment?  If you believe that the Earth came from God, then that is not the same as worshiping the Earth as a god.   

© 2012 Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on July 14, 2012
Last Updated on July 14, 2012

Author

Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks
Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks

Fort Wayne, IN



About
I have been writing since I knew how. Before that I would just draw pictures to tell a story. My true passion is poetic lyrics. That is mostly what I am inspired to write. I have been dabbling in othe.. more..

Writing