What do you need today????

What do you need today????

A Story by Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks
"

Story for a contest

"

In my tribe, I am called "Girl Who Collects Things". I was named that on my eighth birthday but it has fit me ever since I could walk. I would always go exploring and bring home things to put on display. I quickly learned that I had to leave the tribal boundaries to do this so I wouldn't be collecting someone else's things. I didn't mind though because exploring is my favorite thing to do. At first, I would bring home leaves and sticks that had odd shapes or intrigued me in some other way. Then, I moved on to collecting rocks that could be used for tools. I was always finding the things that were more efficient for the task at hand.

  My mother was very concerned with my wanderings when I was younger. She quickly got over her worries when I brought her gifts that made the daily chores easier. I would find stones that were just right for pounding out skins and others that were the right shape to grind corn.

  Of course, there were disadvantages to my collecting. We quickly ran out of space. We added on to our existing home but soon our home was bigger than the tribal leaders. The rest of the tribe didn't think that was very respectful. They were already annoyed with the fact that I hunted like a boy. I had to, as far as I am concerned. I loved to explore and I often saw animals that were harmed or weak and could not defend themselves. I put them out of their misery and added them to my collection.

  My father taught me to hunt with a bow and arrow and a spear. He figured since I would be out in the wilderness, I should learn to defend myself. I am grateful that he did especially since I used those skills a few times on wild boars who decided that I would make a good meal. Of course people didn't complain too much when I shared that collection with the rest of camp and had a great feast. Actually, the last time that happened is when someone gave me the idea to have my own trade shop.

  We as a tribe always have traded amongst ourselves. But since I always have such an abundance of things, people usually tend to come to me first. My aunt Weaving Bird said that I should set up a shop. I wasn't really sure what she meant at first but after she explained herself, it sounded perfect. That is how it started. Now, I have the biggest shop in all of this area.

   What do you need today?

 

© 2008 Mejasha Love

© 2008 Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very clear autobiographic introduction to a main character/narrator. I gained a bit of knowledge about the society and the family structure as well as the character information. I don't know if this would work in a longer version as it is now written, but as material for a revision into that prospective long form it is perfect.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very clear autobiographic introduction to a main character/narrator. I gained a bit of knowledge about the society and the family structure as well as the character information. I don't know if this would work in a longer version as it is now written, but as material for a revision into that prospective long form it is perfect.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on February 6, 2008

Author

Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks
Melanie Jane Boicourt Shanks

Fort Wayne, IN



About
I have been writing since I knew how. Before that I would just draw pictures to tell a story. My true passion is poetic lyrics. That is mostly what I am inspired to write. I have been dabbling in othe.. more..

Writing