Dog Days

Dog Days

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

Short story about a man and his live-in girlfriend and their difference of opinion. Will it be the demise of their relationship??

"

Caden couldn't believe she'd left.  Sure, they'd had problems during their co-habitation but nothing that would warrant her leaving.  He told her he never wanted to marry again due to an already failed marriage; yet she stayed.  He 'd been unemployed for a lengthy period of time; yet she stuck by his side.  He'd once wrecked her car during a moment of inattentiveness; yet all had been forgiven.


Who knew Lana would desert him because he hated cats?  She explained cats were low-maintenance, cared for themselves and were fluffy and adorable.


No, he remembered saying.  No cat.  He didn't want a dirty litter box in his bathroom or a dead "trophy" mouse in his bed.  A cat's yellow, glowing eyes were just downright creepy.


As Caden sat in front of the droning t.v. his mind and stomach churned.  Did his love for Lana outweigh his hate for cats?  Perhaps one tiny kitten wouldn't be so bad.


***


The animal shelter housed animals of all shapes, sizes and colors.  Walking row after row, Caden settled on a miniscule wisp of a thing; a yellow, tiger-striped feline with baby blue eyes.


Entering his apartment with food, bowls, treats, toys and cat in tow, Caden caught himself talking to the animal.  "I have to admit, you are cute," he said.  "How about the name Only since you'll be our only pet?"  He bent to rub Only's ear and she purred like a finely-tuned machine.


The kitten rubbed against Caden's leg, flicked her tail then licked her paws with a long, pink tongue.


"Come to think of it, I believe you're going to need a brother or sister.  Do you agree?"

Only continued to lick her paws, twitching an ear in response.


***


An hour later, Lana was knocking on the apartment door.  "Got your call," she announced, a tremor in her voice.  "I've not changed my mind but ..."


Caden held up a finger, shushing the woman.  "I got a few presents for you."  Clutching Lana's hand, he pulled her into the living room.


Cats were on the couch, coffee table, recliner and television.


"This is Only, Ellie, Rascal, Coco, Luna, Willow and Dusk."  Caden beamed.


Lana laughed, a hearty, almost maniacal laugh.  "One, Caden," she said.  "I just wanted one measly cat not ..."  She waved a hand in a wide arc.


"Clowder; a group of cats is called a clowder."


"Well, it's ridiculous.  Let's round up all but one and return them.  It's too much."


Caden's face fell but he agreed.  He didn't want Lana leaving again because he had TOO many cats.


The animals scattered.  They cowered in fear; hissing and moaning from their well-orchestrated hiding places.  Each time Caden and Lana attempted to gather a whiskered fuzzball, claws attacked.  Angry scratches ripped the skin on their forearms, faces and necks.  Droplets of blood drizzled on clothing, carpeting and decorative pillows.


Wincing, Lana stood from her crouched position.  "Caden, I hate cats.  Can we get a dog?"

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh. boy. The guy tried too darned hard to please--maybe he should've gone overboard with boxes of chocolate--at least they don't scratch. I have to mention my oldest sister, who was the biggest cat fanatic the world has ever known. If she hadn't been so nice looking, no man would ever have lived with her and her houseful of cats. Yeah, one cat is enough.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Sorry I haven't responded, Sam. I had my first big craft event this Saturday (I have another one ne.. read more
Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

I figured that was what you were doing, although I worried some about the bad weather that went thro.. read more
MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

On the news the other day they were showing a bank building where the roof was torn off by high wind.. read more



Reviews

Oh. boy. The guy tried too darned hard to please--maybe he should've gone overboard with boxes of chocolate--at least they don't scratch. I have to mention my oldest sister, who was the biggest cat fanatic the world has ever known. If she hadn't been so nice looking, no man would ever have lived with her and her houseful of cats. Yeah, one cat is enough.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Sorry I haven't responded, Sam. I had my first big craft event this Saturday (I have another one ne.. read more
Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

I figured that was what you were doing, although I worried some about the bad weather that went thro.. read more
MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

On the news the other day they were showing a bank building where the roof was torn off by high wind.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 7, 2015
Last Updated on September 7, 2015
Tags: clowder, challenge, cats, cat wrangler, group, felines, boyfriend, girlfriend, disagreement, opinion

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres