Fish Stick Day

Fish Stick Day

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

Short little short story about a family thrown into turmoil after a family hunting trip goes terribly wrong.

"

He picked up the fish stick and shoved it into his mouth.  He loved Fish Stick Day.  He loved fish sticks.  Embedding his fingers into the warm macaroni and cheese he smiled as the creamy golden sauce slid into his palms.  He clapped his hands together as he rocked back and forth.


“Yummy!  Yummy!” he yelled.  Malachi looked about the room, surprised as his own voice echoed off the walls.


“He’s doing really well,” Amy Dutton observed.  “Saying a few words and feeding himself.”


“You sound like a proud mother,” Nicona Elliston said.


Amy grinned, freckles dancing across her nose.  “I suppose, in a way, I am.”


“How is his mother doing, by the way?”  Nicona asked.


“She’s devastated, of course, but counseling is helping.  Losing her husband in the hunting accident that way has been tough for her to handle but she has accepted that it was, indeed, an accident.”


Amy looked back at Malachi and suppressed a giggle.  He was tossing the macaroni noodles into the air, shrieking with delight as they landed in his dark, wavy hair.


“Such a shame.”  Nicona shook his head, his chiseled features sinking, a shadow falling across his normally bright eyes.


“About Mrs. Garrington?”


“The entire situation.  She has been through so much.  Her husband, her home flooding after all the rains we’ve had, the car wreck and this …” He waved a hand toward Malachi.


“She’s a strong woman,” Amy said.  “I know she’s holding it all together for him.”  She nodded her head toward Malachi.  “She still has hope pushing her forward.”


“So many family members don’t and it makes things worse.”  Nicona’s brows knit together in frustration.


The pair stood in deafening silence for a brief moment.


They watched together as Malachi Garrington stood to his full six feet in height, crouched and rolled his thin, pajama-clad body across the floor from rubber wall to rubber wall.


“I don’t know if he will ever get over the accident, shooting his own father like that.”  Tears welled in Amy’s eyes.


Nicona closed the window in the hospital-green door with a thump.


Doctors Elliston and Dutton walked slowly down the long sterile hallway to check on their next patient.

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A surprise ending to the story. To shoot another in a hunting accident. If difficult. To shoot your father. It permanent. A powerful tale shared dear friend. Thank you for sharing the powerful and sad story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Coyote Poetry. I am glad that I could touch you with this. Forgive me for not respondin.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I understand being busy and you are welcome.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BL
It gives you a glimpse of a much bigger story and is self encapsulating. It is well described, balanced and is made to seem real. I like it.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Be. I am glad you liked this!
A surprise ending to the story. To shoot another in a hunting accident. If difficult. To shoot your father. It permanent. A powerful tale shared dear friend. Thank you for sharing the powerful and sad story.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Coyote Poetry. I am glad that I could touch you with this. Forgive me for not respondin.. read more
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I understand being busy and you are welcome.
you are a great story teller my friend !

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, wordman! That means a lot to me! :)
I really like the concept you have going here. It's powerful. The fact that this son killed his own father and we are listening and two outsiders talk about it is very interesting. i really like this read; I think you did a good job at building suspense, introducing characters, and leading to a rather horrifying conclusion. I think that you could even elaborate a bit more on this piece and make it a very good read. Keep writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Megan! I am glad you liked this. You never know what a tragedy can reduce us to in cert.. read more
ouch ouch ouch. I kinda had a feeling it was going the way it was going - but I think you did well with it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Thank you, TL!
That's an unexpected twist. I'm thinking he might already have been disturbed before the accident.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

8 Years Ago

Tragedy can do strange things to the mind!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 8, 2015
Last Updated on September 8, 2015
Tags: short story, short, family, turmoil, hunting, trip, terrible, wrong, counseling, emotion, devastation

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic