Who Am I

Who Am I

A Poem by Allison Faith Melton

So, who am I, you ask.

I’m the girl that no-one notices. I’m the quiet girl, until you get to know me. I’m the girl who would much rather stand on the sidelines, taking pictures, than be directly involved. I’m the girl with few friends, but who knows who her true friends are. I’m the girl who would do anything for those friends, even if it meant staying up and talking to them. I’m the girl who doesn’t like being touched, but who will hug you and hold you until you’re okay. I’m the girl who would much rather stay home, or go to a bonfire with friends, than go out partying. I’m the girl who prefers to listen, because when she tries to speak, she feels that no-one is listening. The girl who has been bullied time and time again, yet is still standing strong today. I’m the girl who would do anything to prevent others from feeling the way she did throughout school. The girl who finds peace through her music and writing. I’m the girl who, often times, listens to music more than she listens to people. I’m the girl who wishes to educate people more, on the effects of mental illness on a person; as she has been through it before. I’m the girl who wishes to be truly happy, as she once was when she was a little kid. The girl who wishes she didn’t feel as if the weight of the world was on her shoulders 24/7.  I’m the girl who wishes to be successful in whatever she chooses to do in her life. The girl who, once her mind is set on something, finishes it. I’m the girl who sometimes gets caught up in her thoughts and insecurities. The girl who, sometimes, feels as if no-one is listening, or that no-one understands her. I’m the girl whose dreams aren’t too far out of reach. I’m the girl who sits on her roof at night, just watching the stars, and thinking about life. I’m the girl who looks for the best in people, and would help anyone if they needed it. I am; an outcast, a lover, a friend, a listener when no-one else will listen, someone  people can go to when they need someone to talk to; no matter what is going on. I am that girl and so much more that I have yet to discover. This is who I am, and this is who I am proud to be.

© 2016 Allison Faith Melton


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is not a poem, but it is good. My main problem is that the feel of this writing has been captured many times before, so I feel like it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It feels like you made your own version of a writing that has already been written. It's good, but it's not very original and it's not super intriguing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I think this is very brave poem Allison, to put yourself out there so honestly! A lot of these issues can be hard to share and most people cop out. I was diagnosed with biploar some time ago but I feel quite happy trying to educate people about it although I'm aware from other conversations that there is a lot of prejudice around.
Well done!
Alan
If you have any spare time would you like to check out my poem 'Henry Moore - shapeshifter' - a slightly way out take on the same topic of looking at ourselves.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This girl is getting to know what she is all about and that is a good thing. Only the examined life is worth living.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I would classify this as more of a journal entry than a poem. I think for a more poetic feel instead of referring to yourself as "the girl" to use your adjectives as nouns. For example, I am the quiet, I am the bullied etc. Hate to give a rating on someone's work because I feel that it takes courage and patience to be expressive enough to write and share your work. With that said I give you a 50/100.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 23, 2016
Last Updated on March 24, 2016