SINK OR SWIM

SINK OR SWIM

A Story by Mockingbird




    


     I was walking home alone one night when out of an abandoned building a figure jumped out from behind me.  I started walking faster but it started moving faster toward me.  It didn't seem like a regular person by the way it was moving and how contorted its shape was.  I heard growls coming from it.  As I was running, I turned back and under the full moon I saw the figure's face.  It was rotted out.  I could even smell the fetid odor coming off it.  Just when I thought I was outrunning the thing, another figure came out of the shadows and started coming after me as well.  Of course there wasn't a single car in the street or other pedestrians.  My heart was racing with terror.

     As I approached the corner, another one of its kind jumped out at me.  I had to run across the street for blocks and blocks.  I reached my friend's house and started banging on the door.  Luckily she was home and let me in right away.

     "What is going on?"  she asked me.
     "Lock the doors and windows."  I said.
     "But  what is it?"
     "See for yourself,"  I said pointing to the window.
     "Oh my god.  Are those what I think they are?"
     "Yes," I said.

     It was all so unreal we couldn't bring ourselves to say the word: zombie.  But there they were, more of them now, on the  front lawn dragging themselves around grunting and growling.

     "Well, what are we going to do now?"  she asked.
     "We should probably call the cops,"  I said,
     "But what if they don't believe us?"
     "We have to try,"  I said.  "They might break in."  So she picked up the phone and dialed 911.

     "What's your emergency?"  the operator asked.
     "There are...um...intruders outside my house."  she said.
     "Are you in imminent danger?"
     "Yes.  Please send someone right away."
     "I'm sending someone now."

     "They're sending cops," she informed me.  We double checked all the doors and windows to make sure they were all locked.  Her father was a hunter so we went into his den and took a couple of his shotguns.  He had taught her how to shoot so she showed me how to do it in case we had to use them.  Presently, a cop car came, flashing its spotlights on the zombies.  The zombies turned around and started approaching the cops.  The cops started firing on them but it didn't bring them down.  One cop fired until he ran out of bullets but a zombie caught him.  It tore open his chest and he began devouring him.  Others joined him in an eating frenzy.  The other cop got back into the car and drove away.

     Suddenly we heard glass breaking in the kitchen.  It was the sliding doors.  One of them was entering the house.  We rushed into the kitchen and my friend started shooting it.  It kept coming despite it having been shot.  Then she shot it in the head and it went down.  Others were getting in through another window in the kitchen.  "Shoot it in the head!"  she exclaimed.  So I fired the shotgun at its head, and bam! Another one went down.  I shot a hole right through its eye.  We continued shooting until they stopped coming in.

     "We got to get out of here,"  I said.
     "Where should we go?"
     "I don't know.  Anywhere but here."

     We grabbed all the shotguns and ammunition then we rushed out the back and circled around the pool since the zombies were on the other side.  There was one that came at us but fell into the in-ground pool and sunk to the bottom.  We decided to get their attention so they would come after us.  One by one they fell in and sunk.  Once it looked clear, we ran toward the driveway.  We shot the rest of the strays in the head.  We got in the car and drove off.  We saw that the streets were infested with them.  It would be dawn soon as we drove hoping there wouldn't be an infestation where we were going.

© 2014 Mockingbird


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Careful to show over tell.
I felt like the character's emotions were missing/down played.
Try to merge description and dialogue. Currently the dialogue comes in separate chunks.

I love a good zombie outbreak :)


Posted 9 Years Ago


Nicly done. I really like zombies.

Posted 10 Years Ago


You have a knack for short story . I wish you could publish them. They are good on Readers Digest.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Really liked it!!! Well done!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I like it. Very good in my opinion. I would read a sequel. I just think that it could have happened a little slower. other than that very good.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2013
Last Updated on May 7, 2014

Author

Mockingbird
Mockingbird

NJ



About
i am a misanthrope. more..

Writing