Seeking Perfection

Seeking Perfection

A Poem by Maria
"

We all have stories to tell, scars to show, and tears that have fallen. We all struggle daily to achieve goals and or to simply make it through another day.

"
Seeking perfection, seems to be the norm,
within each society.

And I ask you, what is this perfection that you seek?
Is it the type of perfection, which is reflected to others,
by how one dresses, and or the type of shoes you wear?
Is it to have money in order to buy the latest fashion,
or get the best make up that is out there?

Seeking perfection; this has existed over the centuries 
of many people, that have come and gone.
Yet the concept seems to change, from 
generation to generation.

But why is it so?  I used to believe, that somewhere,
there had to be the absolute, most perfect, family
you could ever see.
The perfect, loving Father, whom would bestow with gifts,
his wife and children, and the perfect mother, who would not have 
a favorite child, but love all the same.

Yet can this truly be found?  I think not. For my mother, 
perfection was, to know how to dress, for each occasion.
Have the best, shiny shoes, and starch, clean stockings, making sure
that all you put on, would combine in color and fashion.

And for her mother, perfection, had meant, to know how to sit still, without moving a finger.  Balancing dishes, while standing erect, and to never challenge anyone in position of authority, for that would seem,
to be the utmost evil act any could do.

And she had to talk, only when spoken to, and do as her father or mother would ask of her to do.  Be it, watching over her younger siblings, and making sure they did not get a stain on their clothing.

She would cook, and clean, for there was nothing else, that she could do, really, what nonsense it was, Girls going to school!
Alas, her goal was to be the best house wife she could be, once she be married off, to some wealthy man.

There were even booklets made for such occasions, in which, girls would be taught, how to prepare a complete meal, to how to iron a shirt and pants.  For this was all they would do, aside from bearing the children, and making sure to continue this tradition.

For them this was perfection, and the men, depending on how wealthy or poor, were to be pampered and loved and given all the attention.

Yet, I ask what about today, what is it, that the youth seek, when seeking perfection?
Could it be the same, as my generation, when we entered our teens?
To be loved and accepted, no matter our character, to have the best clothes that there was, and to never wear that ugly, red sweater, made by grandma, for Christmas or Halloween?

Or does it all just go towards, building up one owns self esteem?
But there is more, that we each seek, is there not?
Yet in the end, even if you were to have the best house, or furniture or tv; even the latest model there is for a smartphone, would that be suffice to fill that void, in our lives, and no longer seek perfection?

Alas, we are weak, and we all have imperfections, but what we all seek, when stating perfection, is this:

To have the perfect body, be it man or woman, so we can be considered, attractive or handsome...
To be accepted just as we are, with are imperfections, be it physical or emotional, and no one pass judgment...
To be loved and comforted, when all seems to be thwarted, by trials full of much pain and tears...
To be the top of the class, or the best top performer at your job and get that recognition, you never get at home...
To have the latest model of car, there is in the market, in order to gain,
much friends, so that way, you are never alone...

Yet, even if this can be attainable to any extent, would this truly, make you stop, looking for perfection?

For in the end, I come to say, that alas, I am nor will ever be, better than you or you, nor you better than me. We all have our scars, from battles that we have fought, some have fallen harder, while others managed to remain standing.  

We all have our walls and shields, built around our hearts, for we are sore afraid, of getting hurt and no longer want to suffer.
So in the end, if we are as we are, why cant we just accept ourselves and each other, instead of fighting one another to attain that which is there yet not there?

Each circumstance, that each individual faces upon this earth, will always be full of much emotion, from happiness to sadness, and so forth.
Some fall harder and others partially fall into a pit, the pain will differ, yet we all seek the same, in the end, so tell me,
what will it be?

What will you choose? To accept yourself and others without passing any type of harsh judgment or climbing up that narrow road, to seek, that which you still do not have?

© 2017 Maria


Author's Note

Maria
Input Welcomed

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I was cursed with the plague of perfectionism for the first half of my life. The second half of my life has been much much better, after I killed that curse. You've done a great job of using many detailed & relatable descriptions of what "perfectionism" is like. I like that you use the pronoun "we" which is inclusive (some people use "you" when writing a message like this & that sounds preachy to me). It's interesting that you've contrasted different generations & I must say you got my mother's generation "perfectly"! *smile*

Here's the thing . . . this is the second poem of yours I've read recently where you kind of switch back & forth between prose & poetry. I really believe you are longing to write prose. I would encourage you to write prose. You are brimming with ideas that come out in long complex sentences & it's just not poetic, which is fine. I'm just saying go with what comes naturally for you, my friend (((HUGS)))

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

I do thank you for taking the time in reading my stuff, and I do admit that I am still trying to see.. read more



Reviews

Great wisdom shared in your words.
"What will you choose? To accept yourself and others without passing any type of harsh judgment or climbing up that narrow road, to seek, that which you still do not have?"
I believe we gain great wisdom when we like who we are. Thank you Maria for sharing the excellent poetry and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


I was cursed with the plague of perfectionism for the first half of my life. The second half of my life has been much much better, after I killed that curse. You've done a great job of using many detailed & relatable descriptions of what "perfectionism" is like. I like that you use the pronoun "we" which is inclusive (some people use "you" when writing a message like this & that sounds preachy to me). It's interesting that you've contrasted different generations & I must say you got my mother's generation "perfectly"! *smile*

Here's the thing . . . this is the second poem of yours I've read recently where you kind of switch back & forth between prose & poetry. I really believe you are longing to write prose. I would encourage you to write prose. You are brimming with ideas that come out in long complex sentences & it's just not poetic, which is fine. I'm just saying go with what comes naturally for you, my friend (((HUGS)))

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

I do thank you for taking the time in reading my stuff, and I do admit that I am still trying to see.. read more
this is very relatable. everyone tries to be like everyone else instead of trying to be themselves so that they can "fit in" I struggle wit this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Wow, your words present an excellent and well described argument, and an indictment on some aspects of society, past and present. How true!

When I think about perfection, I would rather remove humans from the equation and just think about nature. A gnarled old oak tree... is it perfect? But it is beautiful, majestic. So beauty doesn't need perfection.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

I like that, and you know nature beholds so much, that I totally agree with you as well.
Perfection is relative to perception. I, personally, do not believe a universal type of perfection is obtainable. When we look at ourselves through the eyes of others we begin to wonder about perfection. When all we can do it be our imperfect selves.. Perfection is not a state of being but a habitual practice, as is acceptance and happiness. I like the organization of your writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Thanks and I cannot help but agree with your statement. Truly, it is as you say. and thanks again.
I can relate to this. People in my school are always trying to dress like everyone else and be popular. I had friends but they left me and now all they do is go around and follow the popular kids. I've never wanted to be popular though, I've always worn whatever I have and I don't even care what people think anymore. I really liked this writing piece

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Thank you and I know what you mean. My daughter is going through this at this time, as she is 16 and.. read more
God bless perfect people. I wonder the day you meet your maker. The big book is opened, and the words come out in big. You wasted twenty years trying to be perfect. It's like parents with kids, who wont let them run in the mud, climb a tree. Let it go, have fun.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I quite liked this! Good job on it!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Thanks. Appreciate your review.
Notepad

6 Years Ago

I just wrote a new poem ahahahahahah sorry for the advertisement but i want people to read it
Maria

6 Years Ago

Ok. No worries

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2017
Last Updated on June 6, 2017
Tags: perfection, human race, yearnings, dreams

Author

Maria
Maria

Fairfax, VA



About
I write from my heart, soul and mind. Sharing both past and present trials, that I have faced and or am facing. I believe strongly in God and the Bible, yet I respect everyone's views. I myself am no.. more..

Writing
My Punishment My Punishment

A Story by Maria


My Scars My Scars

A Poem by Maria



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Haiku #21 Haiku #21

A Poem by mattavelli