Run, children, Run!

Run, children, Run!

A Poem by Maria
"

Just read a report from the Washington Post about a school shooting that took place last year in Townsville, South Carolina, I believe, a boy died.

"
Run! Children Run!
A gun, an explosion, or more;
Children, crying, wailing and stumbling...

Run! Children Run!
Pushing, falling, screams can be heard,
as children, run against the turf, and push against the door.

Run! Children Run!
Teachers yell out, Run! Just Run!
As they move about, making sure 
the students are accounted for.

Run! Children Run!
Please, no, please dont shoot!
Mommy!! Daddy!! Help!!

Run! Children Run!
Run to safety, lock all doors!!
Get away from the windows,
Get over here, quickly!

Run! Children, Run!
Why is he doing this, 
what have we done?

Run! Children Run!
Some jump over fences, others run
the other direction, and a few are unsure of 
what to do..

Run! Children Run!
Look at his face, his eyes full of rage!
He shakes and shudders, as he sees,
the little children, looking back, so afraid,
and so full of innocence, that was lost
on that very dark day.

Run! Children Run!
Do not look back, no dont look down!
My foot, it hurts! My leg it burns, Pain,
and burning sensation...

Run! Children Run!
My friend, where is he? Where is my mommy?
I want my daddy!!!

Run! Children Run!
Look, Blood on the floor!!
Whose hurt, who was shot?
Did he get any more?

And run they did, on that dark, September day, when that fourteen year old, sought out revenge.
They were innocent children, surely traumatized and injured, as one of their own, had fallen to his death.

No one will ever know for sure, why he did it?
But one thing is for sure, he did not regret it.
The children, would never see the playground as safe and at night, more than sure, the comfort and love of their parents would keep them all warm.

A life fought hard to remain on this earth, but his body was not well, and to heaven he went.  Parents and children, lived the worst day, when that fourteen year old, made them bleed within their souls.

So in memory of all that suffered that day, I have written this piece, to share of your suffering and for all to to remember the lives that have been 
lost to senseless acts, such as these, in which,
our future generation, stands to fall or stand up and defend their own future.

.......................................................................


© 2017 Maria


Author's Note

Maria
In honor of all victims from Townville Elementary School shooting that took place last year in September of 2016.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have read a few of your poems, and I really enjoy how your work circles around current events. The way that you use your writing style and your chosen vocabulary is truly wonderful and really expresses who you are as a writer. Thoroughly enjoy your writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much. I am a major book worm and since first grade, my teachers would have me rea.. read more



Reviews

Thank you for reviewing my poetry. Youth, write beautifully and powerfully. I look forward to reading it and will review when I get a bit of time.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Your welcome and thank you as well.
I have read a few of your poems, and I really enjoy how your work circles around current events. The way that you use your writing style and your chosen vocabulary is truly wonderful and really expresses who you are as a writer. Thoroughly enjoy your writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Maria

6 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much. I am a major book worm and since first grade, my teachers would have me rea.. read more
I don't know if you want an actual review for this, and I'm not all that great at reviewing poetry, but I'll try my best.

Firstly- I'd like to thank you for deciding to share this with the internet community and world in general. My family has its own share of artists, and it can be very daunting to show others when you are effected by something so deeply.

Secondly (Some general things)- This poem is a chant poem, and it really has rhythm in the beginning. Maybe work on moving around some of the stanzas at the bottom throughout the piece to give the effect of a song, with a full refrain and chorus.

Thirdly (Some nit-picky things)- There is an apostrophe missing in "dont" (fourth stanza). Look back at your capitalization, as it is pretty inconsistent in regards to the beginning of every line. Finally, think twice about using two exclamation points so often. It is very flashy, and might not get the desired effect if it distracts the reader.

Final Review- It is a very good, heartfelt poem. I don't know if you wanted a review, but here you go.

If you have any questions, message me and I'll be glad to talk!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Maria

6 Years Ago

Wow, this is the longest review ever, that I have gotten thus far. And yes, see here, I am actually .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 9, 2017
Last Updated on June 9, 2017
Tags: violence, guns, hatred, rage, anger, victims, death

Author

Maria
Maria

Fairfax, VA



About
I write from my heart, soul and mind. Sharing both past and present trials, that I have faced and or am facing. I believe strongly in God and the Bible, yet I respect everyone's views. I myself am no.. more..

Writing
My Punishment My Punishment

A Story by Maria


My Scars My Scars

A Poem by Maria