The Bad Man

The Bad Man

A Story by Mey

 

The criminal was a bad man.
He ran into the small town with the Law hot on his tail. Sightings of him were bigger than Elvis. Especially due to the fact that Elvis sightings had died down of recent...
He had the clothes on his back, the watch on his wrist, the knife in his pocket, and the street smarts to know that he needed to get out of town quickly. Small towns were easy places to get caught in.
He also knew that he couldn’t leave empty handed; twenty dollars wouldn’t keep a wanted man alive for very long. Money just didn’t go as far as it used to.
At the end of the main road there was a diner. It stood in bright contrast against the empty road, the darkened store fronts, and the cold steel of the parked cars.
The wanted man set off for the diner. He waded into pools of light cast by streetlamps. Between him and the dinner there were ten or so pools. It seemed a very long space. Too long.
Up ahead he saw a few cars leave the diner. He knew he would have to take one; it was the only way out. But in a brightly lit place like that did he dare? As long as he had his knife nothing could go wrong, if only he’d had it that night when the s**t hit the fan…
He never noticed when his watch stopped ticking. One moment it was ticking hard and strong. It ran a little fast. Then it stopped. Had he noticed, he would have put it down to the fact that he had stolen it from a hobo back in the old life he once had.
When the light above him went out he noticed. When every light in a five mile radius blew, with the peculiar exception of the dinner and the cars around him, he noticed.
He stopped. He stood frozen, rooted, static.
The world was silent, the warm night was cold, and only light he could see was the dinner. The only sound he could hear was his suddenly ragged breath, the only feeling he had was the push of blood through his veins.
He stood for no more than a moment, but for him it was an eternity. He was in a state of Zen, calm before motion.
“Welcome.”
The word was whispered. The owner had placed a hand upon his shoulder to utter it; the hand was cold yet burning. Hot but frozen.
The criminal was a bad man but the owner of the voice was more, the owner of the voice had whispered lies, he had spoke of deceit, and murder, and death. The voice had told him the secrets of the universe then whisked them away, and it had done it all with a word.
The bad man dashed madly. He ran from the sound of fate.
He regretted his choices.
He should have never come to this town.
His regret lived only as long as he did.
The world came back to him in a rush.
The roar of a beast was the first thing to greet him. Only this beast was metal & cold and came at him with the power of a hundred horses.
He hit the bumper and rolled up and over the top of car.
He was dead on impact.
The owner of the voice looked on.
Cool eyes surveyed the scene.
A smile split the lips.

© 2009 Mey


Author's Note

Mey
The third of a set of stories that I began writing. The idea was to tell the story of a fight between good and evil but from the perspective of people watching. As always I respectfully ask is that you don�t critique my work or my grammar, but I welcome comments with open arms.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"He waded into pools of light cast by streetlamps." Awesome. You're good at describing images in different ways so that they don't sound cliche. You kept the anticipation through the story and managed to finish with a truly chilling ending. I also liked that you gave enough detail in imagry but didn't go overboard where the characters were concerned; I didn't feel attached to the Bad Man and so I didn't feel sorry when he got hit by a car, also, it gave the story an air of mystery. Well done. :D

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 9, 2009

Author

Mey
Mey

Home



About
I like to think of myself as a dark and talented individual. I like to think that what I write matters to someone. I like to think that by writing that someone, somewhere, will enjoy what I’ve w.. more..

Writing
Again Again

A Poem by Mey


Turbulence Turbulence

A Poem by Mey





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5