Life or Death

Life or Death

A Story by Michael_Kurtis
"

Inspiration for inner city youth

"

Life or Death

The concrete jungle can be a volatile environment to grow up in. As youth, we are subjected to a more intense reality. In most cases, it’s not as simplistic as immediate Life or Death but the decisions we make at a young age are magnified and become critical to our futures. When you grow up in an environment where guns, drugs, and an overall impression of survival of the fittest is the norm, you yourself may start to replicate your surroundings.


Those growing up in the hood are subjected to cruel and unusual poverty; Imagery of rags to riches consumes the minds of our youth. We aspire to be the “man in the Bentley” rarely considering the price that comes with it. A life of crime ultimately leads to a life of incarceration. Inevitably, no one is immune to the “man’s”long arm. The use of drugs and alcohol further dilute our sense of reality and in essence serve to contaminate our mind, body and souls. When is your “homey” really your homey?


It is through education, creativity, generosity and goodwill that you can elevate beyond the madness. I must reiterate a commonly held belief, there is no substitute for hard work. Youth of today, you are the leaders of tomorrow. Be a source of inspiration and pride in the community. Aspire to excellence; you are what dreams are made of. The obstacles will be great, but you can be greater.



In the end, the choice is yours,


Life or Death?

© 2012 Michael_Kurtis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
Added on March 22, 2012
Last Updated on April 2, 2012
Tags: Inspiration, social, uplifting

Author

Michael_Kurtis
Michael_Kurtis

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I am an emerging social activist focused on helping inner city youth. more..