The Mistake

The Mistake

A Poem by Mifa
"

"...if given the chance, the devil could still find repentance"

"

The baby cries continually...

There's no sleep for her even at night;

No husband for support �"just her, herself and the tears.

 

Continually the baby cries...damning any audible lullabies.

This was supposed to be her pride �"her own front for solidarity;

Showing the world she could survive,

And not be worthless.

 

But the baby continually cries...

And old memories revolve in her eyes.

The tears flowed down her cheeks.

She felt weak, cradling her mistake in her trembling arms.

 

The world of men, harsh and queer;

A unified contrast of what is to be and what already is.

The precious breathing pearl in her arms

Was what the world called a mistake?

 

No…not so,

She made the mistake; she erred in her thoughts.

To forget that God still crowned the headless;

And if given the chance, the devil could still find repentance.

 

Still the baby cries...

But then stops for a while.

Her mother was no longer in despair.

Her mother now had a smile.

© 2016 Mifa


Author's Note

Mifa
Penned this down about six years ago when a female friend of mine gave birth to a child in her teens and was left to face the brunt of her 'mistakes' by herself. Any thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't know why but this poem made me very emotional.

I love the way you describe the kind of struggle the young mother is going through, by hearing her baby cry. I kinda thought, thats maybe the first time, she really was all alone with the baby, at home and that was the first time, she had to acutally deal with the baby crying and in the process she went through different kind of states. She even had doubts, about giving birth to the baby in the first place, because now she is on her own and no one really takes care for her anymore, in fact she is the one who has to take care of a child now and thats kinda freaking her out. But in the end, when the baby stopped crying she maybe got excited, because she realized that she is able to do it anyway.

This poem is definitely my favorite.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mifa

7 Years Ago

Wow...you really captured the emotions I was trying to pass across. I really appreciate the review. .. read more
AB_INS_SUBITO

7 Years Ago

You are welcome :)



Reviews

This is very thought provoking. The truest faults in our lives can turn out to be the greatest blessings ever, which is mentioned in the comment section. The pain and regret is woven into this blanket of life where there seems to be no peaceful path. Yet, the mother found goodness in her sorrow. I'm just glad the mom didn't kill or give away the baby. It shows that she's enduring and caring. Thanks for this!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Mifa

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review Sap.
It is unfortunate that we are moving away from the teachings of religion and such unfortunate events are on the rise.
The sanctity of marriage should always be respected and relations outside wedlock will always give rise to regret and sadness.
The child born out of wedlock will never know the love of her father and the mother will often see it as a burden.
Nicely penned.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Hello Mifa,

That is a very deep poem. It's precise and to the point. I like your no-holds-barred writing style. Great job!

Thank you for sharing your poem!

Kind regards,

Schatzi

Posted 7 Years Ago


Mifa

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading Schatzi
Life can be hard, but sometimes some of those 'mistakes' can eventually turn out to be blessings. Thought-provoking!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Mifa

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review.
My goodness, this almost made me cry. You could not have relayed the emotional weight and struggle of a young mother any better. I love how her personal view of her child changed from despair to blissful acceptance that this child was no mistake, but instead a gift.

Beautiful poem, Mifa!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Mifa

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot Edana. I really appreciate the review.
Powerful poem. Mistake is such a strong word to give towards a child. A mistake. I can't even imagine the torture on a child knowing you're nothing but a mistake. The mother seems sad, filled with despair trying to raise this child alone, yet when the baby finally stops for a moment, she feels the child is no longer a mistake.. Maybe even a blessing. I really like this one.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Mifa

7 Years Ago

Yeah, you couldn't have said it any better, mistake indeed is a strong word. Thanks for the review S.. read more
Sarah

7 Years Ago

Just a couple of poems. Nothing major.
I don't know why but this poem made me very emotional.

I love the way you describe the kind of struggle the young mother is going through, by hearing her baby cry. I kinda thought, thats maybe the first time, she really was all alone with the baby, at home and that was the first time, she had to acutally deal with the baby crying and in the process she went through different kind of states. She even had doubts, about giving birth to the baby in the first place, because now she is on her own and no one really takes care for her anymore, in fact she is the one who has to take care of a child now and thats kinda freaking her out. But in the end, when the baby stopped crying she maybe got excited, because she realized that she is able to do it anyway.

This poem is definitely my favorite.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mifa

7 Years Ago

Wow...you really captured the emotions I was trying to pass across. I really appreciate the review. .. read more
AB_INS_SUBITO

7 Years Ago

You are welcome :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

352 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2016
Last Updated on August 14, 2016
Tags: baby, tears, despair, mother, love, cradle, mistake, queer, men

Author

Mifa
Mifa

Lagos, South West, Nigeria



About
Ever since discovering the incomprehensible powers of writing, I have become a slave to its every command. It’s cliché to say I love writing on a platform created for writers but F**k it,.. more..

Writing
Believe Believe

A Poem by Mifa


Writer's Block Writer's Block

A Poem by Mifa


The First The First

A Chapter by Mifa