Looking For Delilah

Looking For Delilah

A Story by M.E.Lyle
"

A young man goes in search for a girl he's never met, and isn't even sure she actually exist.

"

Looking For Delilah

Hey there Delilah,” the words pounded through my skull like a broken record, over and over again. Traffic zipped past, horns blared, cabbies shouted; it was utter chaos. Even so, nothing could subdue the gentle guitar and soothing voice; “What’s it like in New York City?”

The city streets of New York were buzzing with thousands of people going here and there with no apparent order. It was a mad rush of humanity, cell phones to an ear, lost in their own little worlds.

A small group stopped at the corner like Pavlovian dogs waiting for the signal across the street to give them a sign indicating it was time to go..

Pigeons swept downward and then upward perching on a third story window waiting for their morning feeding.

I wondered, as a rat darted under my foot, “How had things come to this?”

Somewhere in this mad rush was a girl named Delilah. We haven’t met, not that I have noticed, but I’m sure to recognize her. How could I not, for after all, the song says, “Time Square can’t shine as bright.”

All I had to do was to find the shinningest girl around...which made absolutely no sense to me. How can a girl shine. I have heard, however, they can glow. Girls are strange creatures.

What madness brought me to this point ? What was I thinking?

Delilah; what a silly name anyway. I didn’t know a single person named Delilah, and yet, here I was, roaming the streets of New York City searching for some girl who may or may not exist.

I stumbled onto Times Square. I looked and saw thousands of lights flashing advertisements for products I had never heard of. Buy this, or buy that. One display boldly sugested you "Fly to the far reaches of the world on their World Class Airline.

It all seemed like such waste of electricity.

A loud swoosh from a bus door opening caught my attention. I watched as a hoard of pedestrians rushed off.

From amongst the crowd a bright light shone.

"Could it really be her", I asked myself.

She stood there, angelical and completely out of her element.

"Delilah?" I asked.

She turned, looked at me and smiled.

"Yes." she said sweetly.

"I...I...I've been looking for you." I stammered.

"I know," she replied. "I've been looking for you too."

"But how?" I quized.

"I don't know," said she, "I just have. It's very strange."

Looking carefully at her, I studied every feature of her face.

"Do you think," I asked, "life will change forever from this point onward? Will the world stand up,tumble over, go topsy turvy and roll away?"


She turned and smiled into my eyes. She shrugged her shoulders and whispered, "I don't know, but if it should, who's to blame?"

I reached for her hand and we walked together, side by side,  into the dark night, neither one of us knowing where time would take us.


© 2018 M.E.Lyle


Author's Note

M.E.Lyle
Aren't we all looking for Delilah?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
@
I don't know that song, so on credit I won't call you an idiot for letting her get away :-)

Posted 11 Years Ago


So...he might not have able to keep the real Deliah, but he will always have her memory.
Very good story.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

578 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 13, 2012
Last Updated on April 22, 2018

Author

M.E.Lyle
M.E.Lyle

Wills Point, TX



About
So now I am 34 plus 40. Use the old math...it's easier. I'm an old guy who writes silly stories containing much too much dialogue. I can't help it, I just get stuck. I ride my bike trainer, our r.. more..

Writing
Meeting Kelli Meeting Kelli

A Story by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Hunter Sam Stone Hunter

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Fleora Sam Stone Fleora

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle