It Had To Be You

It Had To Be You

A Story by M.E.Lyle
"

I held her close, feeling the warmth of her head on my shoulder.

"

It Had To Be You


We moved silently across the dance floor stepping gingerly trying not to step on one anothers toes. In the background a band played some old tune from way back when.

I held her close feeling the warmth of her head resting on my shoulder. What was happening to me?

 "Stop it." I whispered in her ear.

She raised her head gently and placed her lips to my ear and whispered back, "What?"

"Stop making me fall in love with you," I answered.

"It's too late," she sighed, "You're already crazy about me. You're hooked I'm afraid."

"But..." I stammered,

"There is no but," she said, interrupting my thoughts.

"It's done. Your battle is lost."

She pushed back and looked into my eyes, and grinned. A funny little crease formed at the edge of her mouth as her blue eyes sparkled under the effects of the ballroom light that spun slowly overhead.

"It's about time, don't you think?" she said as she placed her forehead against mine.

I took in a deep breath, wondering what my next response would be.

For two years I had been nothing but mean and rotten to this girl, pulling her hair, knocking her books to the floor, breaking her pencils, and anything else I could think of.

For two years she endured the torture, and abuse.

And for that two years she held on to the dream that someday I would come to my senses and realize my fate. I was to be hers no matter what.

 She was a pest, which was good enough reason not to like her. I mean, she was always hanging around, doing things to irritate the bedevils out of me. I think it was her way of making herself unforgettable. It worked too because I found myself thinking of her more and more. 

 She had managed to find a way to get under my skin without even being around.

I hated her. 

No matter how hard I tried,  I could not get her to disappear.

Nothing seemed to work.  If I  pushed hard, she pushed back even harder.

 I was losing the battle.

She was inside my head and spinning around my brain like bubbles from a bottle of fine champagne. My resistance weakened and I found myself slipping into a new crazy kinda romantic notion that maybe I was wrong.

I told myself to give up and accept my doom. I could not fight back with this heart of mine.

She was right, she had me, and she knew it too.

And so I asked her to the school spring dance.

I looked into those eyes of hers and whispered,

"You know, I'm not falling in love."

She giggled and replied, "Too late you silly goose, You already have."

A terrible fear enveloped my being as I realized she was right again.

"Did you know", I said, "your nose crinkles when you smile?"

"Yes," she said, "it's one of my more endearing traits."

 I whispered in her ear, "Why did it have to be you?" 

"Because," she answered, "just because."

We danced away the night.

© 2017 M.E.Lyle


Author's Note

M.E.Lyle
Another one bites the dust.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

So very lovely and emotional. nicely done

Posted 6 Years Ago


A lovely story of love, M.E. It seems to be the lady or girl who knows first and yours is a great telling of that. The more we resist, the greater the pull until inevitably gravity takes over and we fall. A good write

Posted 7 Years Ago


descriptive and very nice imagery, A very wonderful sweet write

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is very sweet! I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, for some twist or something dark to come in at the end, but it turned out to just be a very delightful story about two people falling in love. Love grown of hate--one of the most fun kinds! I would almost love to hear more about these two, but I think this story stands nicely on its own as well. Thank you for writing and sharing it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


I truly enjoyed this piece of your heart penned to page ... I found your story to be both entertaining and romantically delightful ... It is good to see someone else besides a woman can write a romatic story, even if you were taken there by the stubborn determination of a woman who had set her sights on you no matter what ... Truth is, even when we think we do, it is not we men who choose the woman, rather it is she who has chosen us ... A very well written story ... I hope to read more like this ... There is not near enough romance in the world, and if men should fall I would rather see it be to the wiles of a woman, than to the ravages of war ...

Posted 8 Years Ago


I remember young love, and what it does. It beguiles you allows you to see what you be, for it is love.The reason we rise in the morning to say, to our love, I love you. It is the reason we go to bed. To be with the one we love. LOve is one of life's mysteries.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This flawlessly written story just oozes the magic of young romance. Wasn't it just so intoxicating? Way over 100 proof, I'd say. I second Woody's desire to be 18 again.

Posted 8 Years Ago


aah sweet romance! if only I were 18 again. you know how to spin romances Mike. you must
've broken many hearts when you were younger. you ARE old now, aren't you?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Another one bites the dust...ah, yes, the review would have been different until the author's note and initials of dedication gave it away.
"No dance today or any other day"...
but it should have been this way.
If this was real love felt, however, and was in any way true, it sounds like the two should be married already. Nothing, no one else will do.

Posted 8 Years Ago


M.E.Lyle

8 Years Ago

The you for the review. The story was loosely based on real events, but mostly it was fiction.
.. read more
M.E.Lyle

8 Years Ago

That's supposed to be Thank you, not "the you."

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1215 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 24, 2016
Last Updated on February 4, 2017

Author

M.E.Lyle
M.E.Lyle

Wills Point, TX



About
So now I am 34 plus 40. Use the old math...it's easier. I'm an old guy who writes silly stories containing much too much dialogue. I can't help it, I just get stuck. I ride my bike trainer, our r.. more..

Writing
Meeting Kelli Meeting Kelli

A Story by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Hunter Sam Stone Hunter

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle


Sam Stone Fleora Sam Stone Fleora

A Chapter by M.E.Lyle



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..