I see the future of WC

I see the future of WC

A Story by Michael of Gilead
"

whats probably going to happen here

"

The death of Writers Cafe, as foreseen by me, Mystical Mike.

 

Please put a dollar in the jar, my prognostications are not free!

 

As I am sure you have all noticed, Writers Cafe made some "improvements"

 

Now you can coment back specifically, and see your reading history.

 

Also i have read that more "improvements" will be coming in the future.

 

The better of the "improvements" is the reading history, thats nice to have.

 

I do like the commenting back specifically, I usually always thank someone for their comments, now instead of scrolling up and down the comments are grouped together and that is nice too.

 

However, i have seen and lived through these "improvements on another so called "writers site" and i fear these items will only bring this place down to the level of a social networking site, and this is how it starts....I noticed the influx of younger writers a while back and the over the top gushing, over many very bad to ordinary peices. I am not about to single anyone out.

 

I have read a lot on here, and for a "writers site" there are some very good writers here and a lot of pretty bad ones, and yes i get it, almost no one comes here a great writer, you come here to get better and learn more about writing and hopefully find your own voice.

 

But, with the influx of younger writers, or should I say new, the addition of new options and tools to use, this place will become more like facebook than what it was meant to be

and when you give people all these new tools and things to play with....good writing gets lost in the mix and silly things start to happen, ratings get questioned, comments get flamed, cliques form, cyber wars start.....

Don't think so? Well I have seen it happen with these very circumstances. It doesn't mean it will happen, but it sure can, so I would say, be cautious in these new developements, because who would want to put up something they have worked so hard on, poured their heart into, only to have 356 comments, all about flaming each other over something not even related to the poem or story?

 

The magic 8-ball hath spoken.

 

© 2012 Michael of Gilead


Author's Note

Michael of Gilead
Be careful what you wish for.....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't think that there's any specific problem with having younger writers on here. I mean, I'm eleven but I take my writing very seriously. The age of writers don't influence the future of a website. I still think that there's many writers that are indeed passionate about the content of their pieces. And is it a very bad thing that there's more social networking applications that are being added generously to this website? I'm meeting plenty of new people and gaining many new friends. Honestly, if it weren't for the array of younger writers, I wouldn't have met my best friend Harley that actually saved my life. But the details of that tale aren't pertinent.

Honestly, I agree that there is bad sides to Writers Cafe becoming a bit of a social networking device, but there is more pro's to weigh out the con's. I'm not trying to start a "cyber war" as you call it, I am simply voicing my opinion. Agree to disagree.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I just saw a great quote this very day..."Writing is 5% talent and 95% trying to keep yourself from getting distracted by the Internet..."

p.s. I am 42 and have been writing for decades...and I, too, feel like a beer. May I stay?? *laugh*

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

Ha! Yes KAO, I agree with that...I had a kindle, second gen...loved it and all i did was read with i.. read more
Thats fine Rebel and i am not going to pick apart everything you've said because you have spoken true, to yourself, but true and thats just fine. I do believe one can write creatively at almost any age, but life experience is necessary for a deeper and fuller way to express yourself, ie; at 11 you may have had a scare or two...see how it is when you are 30..and yes this is one of those you'll understand better years from now things...and you will.

My main point here is I've seen this happen before at another writers site...it may or may not happen here....i'd rather have a smaller writers site than a larger populist site and thats just my opinion, i agree to disagree ;)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I don't think that there's any specific problem with having younger writers on here. I mean, I'm eleven but I take my writing very seriously. The age of writers don't influence the future of a website. I still think that there's many writers that are indeed passionate about the content of their pieces. And is it a very bad thing that there's more social networking applications that are being added generously to this website? I'm meeting plenty of new people and gaining many new friends. Honestly, if it weren't for the array of younger writers, I wouldn't have met my best friend Harley that actually saved my life. But the details of that tale aren't pertinent.

Honestly, I agree that there is bad sides to Writers Cafe becoming a bit of a social networking device, but there is more pro's to weigh out the con's. I'm not trying to start a "cyber war" as you call it, I am simply voicing my opinion. Agree to disagree.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hey love...
Well...yes...happens and shall continue to do so...I have seen it happening for a while but I thought also that maybe because I hadn't been around as much, that's why I got less and less reviews each time I logged in...now I know it is because most of the older friends have chosen to swim ashore instead of drown with us (wink) LOL

Ah well...change abound...good to read you hon xoxo

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

Thanks much Poppy, I would ove to find a happy medium here and not swim someplace else ;)
I al.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Ruth

11 Years Ago

I agree there love...running a site of my own has taught me that lol I think it'll be ok though, the.. read more
Since the addition of that "comment on the review" button, I've seen a good bit of fussing. Some, it seems, want WC to be like FB, and I don't want that all.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

Neither do I Sam.
hahahahahaha...yes...i do see a "GATHER"ing of impudence coming...to be honest, the only thing that these writing sites have taught me is that the future of readers has the attention span of a music video (for those who don't know what they are, it's what Mtv used to play 24/7 without commercials). i'm hoping this doesn't happen...but once you like something...something usually goes to s**t

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

I'm havin' corn fo dinner too *high five*

Ever ones mo famous whens they comments on my.. read more
Brad

11 Years Ago

i think i dun found corn in ma poop
Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

You wanna make sum popcorn?
Awe yes, change can be good or bad. I do believe that embracing it and staying true to your writing is important. For example this bit you posted here. Straight, honest and not afraid to tell it like it is. I do hope that this does not become a place like facebook (I do have a facebook, but they are separate). For me I come here to write and read others writing. Thank you for sharing. I will have to explore the changes, I have been away for a while :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

Thank you Kates, often many do not like to hear things without a filter....that is not me.
Ch.. read more
The Random Writings Of Me..Kates

11 Years Ago

I think honesty is the best policy! If you filter things you get no where in life, except a bubble w.. read more
Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

Thats why I hate PC....the world seems to run on it....but it's not for me.
Change is not always welcomed...I have trouble with it sometimes.

I understand how you feel, I can relate with your frustrations. However, the waters are being tested and I hope the improvements aren't too drastic that we forget about the core of this site; the beauty of reading and writing Books, Stories and Poetry, and to learn and improve our creative writing. Thank you for sharing, my friend. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

Well Robbie, I just hope the same, it would be a shame if all the writing stopped and people just po.. read more
I'm so lame when it comes to using this site Mike I haven't even picked up on the "improvements." Thanks to your piece I'll take a closer look. I like the way you don't mince words when it comes to expressing your opinion.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

Thanks Zeek4, i appreciate your comments, you can find these improvements in the form under the blog.. read more
fear of change....well at least you're acknowledging it...
i really dont know what is good any more...i am just glad this place exists.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

I don't fear change, only change leading down a path i have already been down...I learn from mistake.. read more
Liza

11 Years Ago

It is a social network...for writers, we are here to entertain and be entertained, connect for free... read more
Michael of Gilead

11 Years Ago

Thanks.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

488 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 3, 2012
Last Updated on July 3, 2012
Tags: look out, you asked for it, the death of wc, social networking site


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I'm Me I'm Me

A Poem by Frog Girl