Damned if you Do...

Damned if you Do...

A Story by Michael Carr
"

My take on the saying. Irony.

"

There once was a man named Bob.
Bob was depressed.
Each day, as a habit,
Bob would have his obituary put in the local paper.
Just in case.
One day, while walking across the street,
Bob realized the source of his depression.
He spent too much time worrying about death,
and not enough time enjoying life.
In that moment of realization
Bob jumped up and down,
happy as can be,
and was soon hit
by a newspaper delivery van.

© 2011 Michael Carr


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

OMG, that was cool! Well, not cool that he had to die, but hey! You don't survive getting hit by a truck! Idiot! I thought this was pretty good. It was concise but very direct. There was no need for extra detail (i.e. what he said about himself in the obituary, what other people in his life think, the reaction of the editor at the paper, etc.), although extra detail would be pretty cool. But the extra detail was relatively unnecessary- the story stands fine on its own. I noticed that the story looks more like it's a poem than prose. But there's not too much to say except good job and keep up the good work!

Posted 17 Years Ago


12 of 12 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Congratulations on winning the write-a-story contest!

Sal

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like this.
Very ironic.
I definitely did not see the end coming.
Good job :]

-Jay

Posted 15 Years Ago


Lol! Philosophy at its funniest in my opinion. ;)

Thanks for sharing this, buddy. It truly does have a worthy moral that I'm sure many are already familiar with. It even reminds me of another saying, "The best-laid plans of mice and men/Often go awry". hehehe... ;)

Anyways, this is a nice and simple story you laid out for us here. It's very understandable and just as meaningful. ^^

Ironically Yours.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First thing of yours that I've read. very impressed. Laughing out loud here at work and everyone staring. Hey.....They don't know! look forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amazingly funny! HAHAHAHAHA, poor Bob, he realized it all too late. The irony of life here. No wonder you won the contest hun, congrats on that! This deserved it. XX

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Poor Bob. This is a lovely little story, Michael. You have a fine hand for irony and satire. Another of your gems, and a well deserved win!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I always enjoy stories that focus on the little guy struggling against bigness. Good ones are hard to find, but this one is good. I like how you use flat, descriptive sentences to bring out the ordinary and the absurd. The way you break up the final sentence works nicely too. It's a neat little reversal of fortune.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Loved the irony of it all and the moral at the end. Enjoyed the story.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Ouch! Poor Bob, although, I hope that this isn't the last of him, and this is perchance the prelude to another misadventure featuring this character? Either way, this was a good piece of flash fiction, very good irony, although the twist-of-fate at the end it a common one, and a wee bit expected. Either way, I did laugh myself sick when I read it because ironically I have known about three different people in my life who did things like that, and just when they quit doing the it the proverbial other shoe dropped...on them. Thanks for this, it really brightened my evening. Keep up the good work, in the meantime, have a wonderful night.
Ciao!
BJH

Posted 16 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

OMG the irony. Poor bob, he sure didn't deserve that. And how depressing, putting your obituary in the paper every morning. Poor guy. Great piece.

Posted 16 Years Ago


7 of 8 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 9, 2008
Last Updated on May 13, 2011

Author

Michael Carr
Michael Carr

Prosper, TX



About
My name is Michael Carr. I'm 20 years old now, god help me, attending UTD on a full ride scholarship in the Biology pre-Med program. IF YOU ARE READING THROUGH MY WORK FOR THE FIRST TIME, PLEASE HE.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..