Night Way and Day Guardian

Night Way and Day Guardian

A Story by Mila
"

Why must we define what we cannot control? Night is pure where Day is tormented. But we live both.

"

Night Way and Day Guardian





When Night fell, everyone was meant to sleep. It was fact of nature few denied. Some places had nights that were livelier than days. Other places, Night was dead. No one could truly comprehend the truth behind the time of day all were meant to sleep. Night was a mystery…it was dark and sacred.

 

There was a place, on a main street with closed shops and shuttered windows where Night came first. Everything had a beginning, a starting point that then traced its way to all the corners of its dark domain. Night came first to this one street, at only one time of the day.

 

There was a sacred poetry of Night that many people used to explain its intricacies. Night was evil where Day was good. So why did people feel more comfortable at Night, when everything seemed to be working against them? In the world there seemed to be more Night owls than early birds, yet in the world there were more people that feared the Night than respected it. Darkness had its own matrices written in stone from years before; darkness was the enemy.

 

But then Night was when the stars could shine the brightest. Night was when the moon hung over the skies in its mysterious and ethereal glow. Night was when the winds blew freely and howled their symphonies in the quiet. And on this main street, where Night shed its splendor first, such aspects of its world became that much more real.

 

It was called Night Way.

 

At the center of Night Way, there was a line drawn in the shadow of light and dark. Day stood on one side and Night on the other, for Night started on Night Way but certainly did not end.

 

“Do not be afraid for Night to come.” Night Way told the woman on the other side, “The Light must give way for Dark to rule, but it never lasts forever.”

 

“I do not fear the Night.” The Day Guardian replied, “The Night is the child in my womb that I birth when the sun sets. The sun is the lover that sets so the moon can shine. With everything given, who am I to fear the moments of darkness that display such heavenly love?”

 

Night Way smiled at that and, just as the sun would begin to set on the side of Day and rise on the side of Night, he saw in the eyes of the woman that she truly did not fear it. But what was there to fear of the dark...when it was the light that held the most sin?


“Night is sacred and pure.” The Day Guardian was saying when the darkness enveloped her, “The Day is tainted with the lost spirits of those that couldn’t find what they were looking for at Night. They live forever haunted by their dreams and undefined goals. They are muses to their own sins. When Night falls, they are meant to sleep. They are tormented but cured. Their hearts weep to wake again, as their dreams of a perfect world fade into their imperfect one.”

 

Night Way looked around him and saw that the main street was now covered in the fresh coating of an ethereal Day. The shuttered shop windows were now wide open. The emptiness that had been its display at Night was now filled with the faces of those who had woken up to greet the gift of another day to live. He saw in the looks of their eyes the truth of the Day Guardian’s words. They were tormented by the memories of a pure Night. A very tainted day awaited them. He saw.

 

“We will never know the power of what we guard.” He said.

 

“We will never understand why we must define what we cannot control.” She echoed.

 

“Night is the time after Day.”

 

“Day is the time before Night.”

 

“That is all, and that is all that there should be.”

 

Night Way began to fall into the clutches of dark again, as the side of Day began to shine brightly under the splendor of the sun.

 

Night always came first to Night Way. And it was at Night when everyone was meant to sleep.

© 2014 Mila


Author's Note

Mila
I seem to find a metaphor in everything, especially super early in the morning. Apparently I was day dreaming about night....which goes to show how weird it is the life that I live...
Either way, read, review, let me know how I did/how you liked it! It's pretty short--shorter than most of the things I write.
Also, news post to come in my WC blog soon! :)
Reviews=motivation!

-Mila

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

After reading your story I will never look at night the same way again. Without giving you my life story I used to work 12 hours shifts through the night. It is strange sleeping in the day and living by night. Watching the sun rise was a releif at first. Until you get used to it, by then it is normal. Though I would say it never felt completely natural. Especially five in the morning when you have match sticks holding up your eye lids.

Anyways I feel this is an interesting view point almost as if night gets this bad reputation for day's mischevious behaviour. I found that fascinating. I have never seen it done before like this in all honesty. I love the truce and the way both enterties are their own characters. They have more in common than we realize in a strange way. This is very imaginative and and well thought out, from the quote at the beginning to the metaphors all the way through. I agree with one of the other reviews with this ancient indian story feel. That is a complement in itself. Two brillaint stories. I will be back.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for stopping by and giving this a read. I feel like I wrote this so long ago... bu.. read more



Reviews

I clicked on this because of the story picture; I have the same pic for one of my stories haha. This story was a rather interesting read. Life is a metaphor for death, all is ink, all is cerebral.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thanks for stopping by!
After reading your story I will never look at night the same way again. Without giving you my life story I used to work 12 hours shifts through the night. It is strange sleeping in the day and living by night. Watching the sun rise was a releif at first. Until you get used to it, by then it is normal. Though I would say it never felt completely natural. Especially five in the morning when you have match sticks holding up your eye lids.

Anyways I feel this is an interesting view point almost as if night gets this bad reputation for day's mischevious behaviour. I found that fascinating. I have never seen it done before like this in all honesty. I love the truce and the way both enterties are their own characters. They have more in common than we realize in a strange way. This is very imaginative and and well thought out, from the quote at the beginning to the metaphors all the way through. I agree with one of the other reviews with this ancient indian story feel. That is a complement in itself. Two brillaint stories. I will be back.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for stopping by and giving this a read. I feel like I wrote this so long ago... bu.. read more
Having read a few of your stories Mila I debated with this one. As always the seem elegantly conveyed, with great tempo which is why I think I feel so attracted to this one. The delivery is composed and thoughtfull. As the lines are crafted the first thematic foundation I found myself immersed was on the vedic texts unsure as to why even. But then I read again as the story makes a clear differentiation without judgment been imposed which threw the idea of Day/ Night associated to the Vedics. So, that got rid of the Gods of Trimurti. As I read it I coudnt help myself trying to solve the mistery. In here I guess I share my journey: "I look into the Darkness but I can see light there and it seems like a living light. How can there be light in that darkness? I assume it would have to be the reality which I bring from the day. " . Not sure if on the right track so to speak but greatly enjoyed nonetheless.

Thankyou



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! :)
Hello Mila. This is a well-written piece of work. I was immediately attracted to your powerful title, with those two contrasting ideas next to each other. I really like the fact that you have personified Day and Night. I can actually relate to your story, especially this part: “a sacred poetry of Night that many people used to explain its intricacies”. I personally feel more inspired to write poems and stories at night.

I also retain a life philosophy from your story. Bad times are bound to occur after some good things, just like good times will follow the bad ones. It is a vicious cycle but we have to accept it because it is all part of the game.

I feel like each sentence has a double meaning and this is what I like the most about your story. For instance, when you wrote “Night was when the stars could shine the brightest”, I interpret it as a sign of hope, where someone can get the best outcomes from the darkest moments. You are truly inspirational.

Like you, I really enjoy writing and deciphering metaphors. I think that there is a certain similarity in our writing style. You might want to have a look at my blog. http://haddifiction.weebly.com/

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your kind words and I am glad that you enjoyed the metaphors and settings in.. read more
"Everything has a beginning, a starting point when traced back to its dark origins, its dark domain. On one main street in Small Town America where the shops lay closed and windows shuttered, for Night has hit first." Some rewording and reorder of sentences.
I was surprised to not read the phrase, "Under the cover of darkness man hides his evil doings…"
Not bad!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thanks! Oh yeah, that phrase is going to need some work. I'll get right to that, thank you for point.. read more
You seem very inspired by the workings of nature. It's an interesting take you have on night, particularly since many think day=good and night=bad. In fact, you sort of invert the concepts.

“We will never understand why we must define what we cannot control.”

Wise words from the Day Guardian

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thanks very much! :) Yes, I wanted to take a different approach with the two concepts. I'm glad you .. read more
An interesting take on the term night and day. As children we fear the legendary monster under the bed and as adults we often fear the darkness of the night, until, one day, we discover we love it. You've bridged the gap between child and adult through universal fear and the story rang true, well done, truly.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! :)
forgive me if this is somehow offensive, but I sometimes read short stories by writers who live in India on WC and your short stories often remind me of that unique viewpoint. I have a fascination with India and Indian culture (my wife is half Indian in fact. Punjabi, to be exact).
I like what you have going on here. Very interesting metaphors. I agree with another reviewer that it is slightly repetitious in some places, but otherwise well written.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Not offensive at all! :) and really? Awesome! I have tons of punjabi friends :) thanks for the revie.. read more
This is a very interesting topic, i like what you are striving to accomplish. I did get a bit lost I feel you may have stated several things more than once which seemed repetitive, but this is a very strong progressive piece; well done :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the review! Repetition is something I'm working on improving; thanks for poi.. read more
Rebecca Leigh

9 Years Ago

You're welcome, I struggle with it also from time to time:)
that was really great, beauty is in everything it might be hard to see but it is there

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
Justin

9 Years Ago

your welcome mila!!! keep it up and i will continue to read them :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

716 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 22, 2014
Last Updated on December 20, 2014
Tags: Night, Day, Consideration, Life

Author

Mila
Mila

St. Louis , MO



About
ALL WINNERS FROM MY CONTESTS WILL HAVE THIER WORKS FEATURED ON MY WATTPAD ANTHOLOGY WITH FULL CREDIT GIVEN TO THEM! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WELL BEFORE HAND IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO FEATURE YOUR WORK! A.. more..

Writing
Change Change

A Story by Mila


Liar Liar

A Story by Mila



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Babylon Babylon

A Poem by Ana B.