Garden of Gold

Garden of Gold

A Story by Mila
"

Where do our secrets go when they appear? What happens to them when they are told?

"

Garden of Gold

 

In the deepest, darkest and farthest recesses of every man’s mind was a path to a garden of gold. This garden, unlike the rest, was made only and entirely of glittering, shining, rich, gilt-covered flowers and pathways. The arches were gold, the fountains were gold, the gazebos were gold…even the grass was gold.

 

The gold was pure, for no man could taint it. It was created by the one thing human kind purposefully struggled to control: imagination. It represented the rich and perfect. It represented the poor and desolate. It was the aura of hope and desire as well as the toxins of jealousy and avarice.

 

But who protected such gold? A guard clad in gold-plated armor? Perhaps a witch of the darkest sort…or maybe even a monster hidden somewhere in the caves underground. Alas, none of these were true, for the garden was protected, not by creatures of the wildest imaginations, but two women instead. Creatures, one would say, of the most fantastical imaginations.

 

The Light protector and the Dark protector. These two sisters walked the paths of the golden garden every day and watched every blade of grass, every petal on a flower and every leaf on a tree. These small things were of much more value than what made them, for they held the world’s secerts in them.

 

Yes, indeed, every secret that ever was for any man of humankind to walk the Earth was held in those flowers. Dark secrets, stimulating secrets, happy secrets and sad secrets. All of them, every single one, without fail, were tucked deeply into the petals of the flowers.

 

Dark protected the secrets that were already told. For those were the most vulnerable to abuse, and she was the only one with a polluted soul enough to hear them. She heard their whispers from one person to the next and, as the flowers glowed around her as they received the words, the secret itself spread like wildfire, and changed even more.

 

“He saw her without her clothes on…”

 

“She took her clothes off for him…”

 

“I heard that they had an affair…”

 

“I think she is his mistress…”

 

One after the other, they came. It would have shocked mankind to know how fast their secrets spread. The glow of the petal represented the next person to hear it, for it became their secret as well, until they told another person.

 

“It would be best to hold your tongue and tell no one.” Dark whispered, “No one can hurt a secret they’ve never heard.”

 

Light protected those untold secrets, for they were precious. They were pure and as untainted as the gilt that protected them. For her, the flowers only glowed when a new secret was born and, when it was passed on to another, the flower would wilt and Dark would receive its glow. Every day it happened in this way.

 

It would do so for the rest of time, until there were no more secrets amongst men.

 

“My heart breaks for those who tell their secrets to another.” Light wept to her sister, “The flowers die, as does trust.”

 

“But dear sister, do not weep for them!” Dark exclaimed, “For when one flower of yours dies, twenty more bloom in its place.”

 

But they both knew that those newly bloomed golden flowers carried the weight of sorrow, mistrust and betrayal. Many new flowers for every secret told and passed on, but only one for an untold secret.

 

“I can only hope the day will come when merely one secret will stay in its place,” Light said, “and the flower need not die.”

 

“That day will come when a man takes the secret to his grave.” Dark replied.

 

As that was said, a new dawn was breaking. As Light and Dark took to their paths, the flowers bloomed, wilted, glowed and spread. The fields of the garden of gold were full of secrets both told and untold, but there was only one secret in the golden Tree of Life that would never be spoken…

 

For it was the secret of life itself.

© 2014 Mila


Author's Note

Mila
Yeeaaahhh I day dream a lot, don't I. Relieved I managed to get this down before it escaped my mind. Please do read and review, let me know how you liked it/how I did! :)

Story to be featured in the Larcenist Magazine February issue! :)

Reviews=motivation! :D

-Mila

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really like the imagery who were trying to create in this story, however the way you wrote it, was very much like you were telling me a story. You know? All I could picture was someone waving their arms about saying "And it was like this! Beautiful, gosh you had to be there." And all the rhetorical questions really took me out of the scene you were trying to build.

Criticism a side, you really do have quite the imagination and a talent to to tell the reader a lot about a world with very few words, and the way you can say a lot about a character with a few lines of dialog is amazing. Keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much, this was very kind and helpful! :)



Reviews

It captured my attention. I really liked how the story flowed. I could really see what you describe it and felt like taking a walk in the park =D

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sela

9 Years Ago

You're welcome, I also shared it on my twitter account @EachPage for others to read it ;)
Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! That was very kind of you :)
Sela

9 Years Ago

^_^ my pleasure.
Wow I like it.. really good.amazing imagination!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed! :)
I really like the imagery who were trying to create in this story, however the way you wrote it, was very much like you were telling me a story. You know? All I could picture was someone waving their arms about saying "And it was like this! Beautiful, gosh you had to be there." And all the rhetorical questions really took me out of the scene you were trying to build.

Criticism a side, you really do have quite the imagination and a talent to to tell the reader a lot about a world with very few words, and the way you can say a lot about a character with a few lines of dialog is amazing. Keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much, this was very kind and helpful! :)
This story seems very philosophical to me. I am not sure that is what you intended but that is what I got. That makes me love it actually. It is very poetic and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

That was sort of my intention, glad you enjoyed! Thanks for the review :):)
Oh god this is so beautiful. I'm so impressed. I'm not much of a short story internet reading but this got me so much !! Congrats. You imagination is seriously rich. The visual pictures are amazing.

Man,would I love to visit the golden garden.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :) :)
This is a amazing story and is very poetic. I will read the rest when I come back. You should check out my poems.(:

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you! Send your works to me via RR and I will get to them when I can. :)
Really well written. You have an amazing imagination from which your writing flows.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
that was wonderful, really, you always impress me by your work.. well done :D

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!
stars are far

9 Years Ago

welcome ;D
I love escaping into your stories, very good piece... I want to read more!!!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you!! :)
“The flowers die, as does trust.” That was the line that caught my attention.
I had a discussion with a close friend recently, she was betrayed by one she trusted, one she loved, her heart is broken, she has told me she can never trust again. All because a secret was exposed. An excellent write, dear Mila. it moved me.

The only thing I noticed:
not be creatures of the wildest imaginations, (by)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Mila

9 Years Ago

Thank you! And ack, I saw that when I was proofing and thought I fixed it. Thanks for pointing it ou.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

909 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 16, 2014
Last Updated on December 9, 2014
Tags: Gold, Garden, Secrets, Story

Author

Mila
Mila

St. Louis , MO



About
ALL WINNERS FROM MY CONTESTS WILL HAVE THIER WORKS FEATURED ON MY WATTPAD ANTHOLOGY WITH FULL CREDIT GIVEN TO THEM! PLEASE LET ME KNOW WELL BEFORE HAND IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO FEATURE YOUR WORK! A.. more..

Writing
Change Change

A Story by Mila


Liar Liar

A Story by Mila



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..